Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Haberdashery is a shape shifting world. In different circles different styling is acceptable. Sometimes you go to church wearing the matching tie and handkerchief, sometimes you go to work wearing the matching handkerchief and shirt. I can't say it is wrong, though I'm not one who would wear a matching handkerchief and tie... reminds me of a televangelist sitting next to a gold cherub and a wife covered in makeup. I might have the tie echo the handkerchief, though I think I'd look affected if I matched the two.

One persons gaudy matching tie and handkerchief that he recieved for fathers day may be part of his best looking combination and I won't fault somone for having their own style.

I just like looking like I rolled out of bed and through on the suit or outfit that was next in line to be worn. It's very calculated, though I try to make it look as uncalculated as possible.

Hmmm... This thread reminded me that I actually have a tie and matching handkerchief around somewhere. I am going to have to look for it. They were my father's and being green with a pattern I am not too hot on has put them at the back of the closet. I just got in a sort of light green herringbone that might look good with it. I hope I still have both and can find them. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Here is a sample...

Of mixing the tie with the pocket square. IMHO I don't think the tie and pocket square have to be exactly the same color and pattern.

http://www.paulstuart.com/Category_template_viewall.cfm?ID=4&rightcoloritem=1

Take a look at these samples in Paul Stuart's site. These are modern of course but I think they look good. Click on each image and see it close up. You can see where the pocket square has a hint of one of the colors in the tie.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Plain white - linen

My own preference is for plain white linen in the breast pocket, cotten in the rear right pants pocket for mopping.
I make my own linen handkerchiefs - they're as big as dinner napkins. Sometimes I like to say to people who ask, "well, you never know when you're going to run across some dinner..."

Welcome Flyfisherman. Your grandfather was wise, and so are you.

Leporello

New in Town
I think these eleborate folds in pocket hankies look far too contrived. True elegance looks effortless. A quality silk handkerchief tumbling out of a breast pocket looks far more elegant. I can remember years ago that pocket handkerchiefs were sold on strips of cardboard with just a three point fold of the handerchief protruding from the pocket. The handkerchief equivalent of the ready tied bow tie However, I see that some of my English chums in the lounge like to wear American fliers crush caps and life jackets with their A2s so I guess it's me who's the sartorial eccentic here.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Back in the day, a man only had two tops! One in his back pocket for his dirty business and one for static display. Now, if he was a gentleman, he'd use a handkerchief in his outer breast pocket that was just plane and ready to pull out for the lady folk in distress.

=WR=

I use various styles of fold depending upon my mood and the suit i'm wearing. I generally end up with the same style as Matt displayed.

An aesthetic question: When wearing a 30s-40s DB jacket (or any jacket with wide, wide lapels), should the peaks of the handkerchief project in front of, or behind, the lapel? The peak lapel jackets i have all have lapels that partially obscure the top pocket, so the peaks have to go in front or behind. I generally tuck them behind.

Thanks in advance ...

bk

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Whatever I think looks most natural and uncontrived... in this case behind.

I like it to look like it wasn't planned.

Test1-vi.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The trick is to not have it look too studied or fussed over. Matt Deckard does it right.

You also need a big Irish Linen handkerchief, not cotton.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Square

I have two "pocket squares" and plan to get more. My favorite way to wear them is just as plain squares, with 1/4-3/8" sticking out the top of the pocket. Understated, just an accent. One of mine is a nice old silk one that has a cool, simple border; works perfectly in its horizontal effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24