Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hangers... Do you hang your leather jackets on them?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Wow, thanks for all of the helpful replies! I've got, at least, two or three ideas to consider.

I'm sure this thread has been helpful to others, as well.

- Ian

Peacoat

Bartender
bentusian said:
I'm not quite sure about keeping an A-2 jacket laid flat on the floor or inbetween other jackets stacked in the closet - one of the secondhand A-2s I've previously owned had the back of its collar curled up outward, and it didn't look good at all. The original owner said it was due to keeping the jacket laid flat for extended length of time.

Since then I never keep my A-2s flat on its back. I always use wide shouldered wooden hangers being sold by the jacket's manufacturer itself.

I don't lay mine flat on the floor or stack them on top of each other; I just throw them on the floor of the closet on top of each other. A new leather jacket I will wad up and throw on the floor with other leather jackets on top of it. This helps the grain come out, especially on the HH. The steer will never get very grainy, but it does help some. This is my way of "naturally" breaking in and aging my leather jackets. That and wearing them for fifty years, which is the tried and true method.

When one has as many coats and jackets as I do, it would take two or three large closets devoted entirely to my collection. My wife is a reasonable person, but perhaps not that reasonable. The peacoats get the broad hangers, and the leather jackets get the floor.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey Peacoat!

I believe you and I are the same size. Since your closet floors are littered with those darn leather jackets, I'd be willing to take a few off your hands. You should give me a deep discount since those Enfields and Highwaymans are "floor samples" and I could save you Ebay listing fees. Just lookin' out for you. Great idea, huh?

Best regards, coffee

Windward

Practically Family
cheap but effective

I use wide hangers made from wood and/or plastic. BUT none of them is as wide shouldered as it should be - so I wrap two towels around the widest parts of the hanger to avoid marks in the shoulder area - and it works very well. Cheap but effective!

andy richards

Practically Family
StewartU said:

Thanks for posting. I like these hangers very much, never seen them before. Looks kind of sharp on the edges though...
Most of the time I just throw the Aero jacket I wear that day just on a chair... The one I don't wear is on a wooden hanger, which I "decorated" when I was about 4 years old :) .
Andy

Papa M

A-List Customer
andy richards said:
I like these hangers very much, never seen them before. Looks kind of sharp on the edges though...

They do indeed look a bit lethal. However they look great as a piece of wall art when there is nothing hung on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran