Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hardening Crushable Hats?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I have a crushable hat that I really do not care that much about, so I soaked it with warm water. It got a bit stiffer, but it did not do that much. Is there a way to stiffen a crushable hat?

FrankMc

Familiar Face
I do not believe you can, you may damage it. They are what they are, if you want to have a different shape and brim, get another hat.

Edward

Bartender
Furfelt can be reshaped, but with wool, in my experience, you're more or less stuck with the shape it arrived in. Not quite clear in why you'd want to stiffen it, though (as distinct from reshaping)?

Feraud

Bartender
Shellac may help in this situation. Isn't it what's used to stiffen fedoras in the first place? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Some dilute shellac sprayed on the fedora should do the job. Personally I'd experiment on a throwaway before fooling with something vintage and/or expensive.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I've used shellac to stiffen woolies and to reshape them. I found, though, that using enough shellac to change the shape of a woolie usually ends up with a hat stiff enough to hammer nails with...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24