Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrington Baracuta makers?

Levallois

Practically Family
I did a search and found a few posts and it is clear the original Made in England G9 is the best but they are too expensive for this country boy. Are there others that can be had for cheaper that are almost as good? I saw a Van Heusen "tailored in Taiwan" with the same Baracuta name tag that looked ok other than having a poly-cotton shell for less than 1/4 of the cost? Weren't these licensed from and are these really as inferior as some have said? Thanks!

John

Edward

Bartender
The Barracuta G9, which debuted in 1937, was the original "Harrington" jacket, though the unofficial Harrington appellation came much later on. John Simons (http://www.johnsimons.co.uk/) of London claims to have come up with that nickname for the G9, after a character on []Peyton Place[/i] who wore a jacket in the style. The Baracuta jackets are lovely, but rather too pricey for me also. I've explored several cheaper options over the years. If you[re prepared to settle for poly-cotton (and, to be honest, I wouldn't like to put money on being able to tell the difference between that and all-cotton), you can find some excellent bargains. I currently have five - black, PoW check, Navy blue, Sky Blue and bright red. The latter three are cheap brands, the first two Merc. I also briefly owned a Ben Sherman take on it, which was a nice jacket but just far too 'modern' in its vibe for me - not least an overly baggy fit for my tastes. The twenty-quid level cheap ones are all over eBay. They can be hit and miss i the quality department. I'm very happy with the ones I have; they make for great knockabout jackets at that price Also great for buying brighter colours you might not wear so often, like bright red. Next time round, though, I'd definitely go for something more expensive in the Sky Blue, simply because I've discovered I do wear it much more often. They're great causal jackets in the warmer months when you still need a jacket in the evening but leather or something heavier is too much. Also, I find them very flexible for a range of period looks given they have been around so long. FWIW, Baracuta are not the very most expensive: Grenfell do a line which I have seen selling at the GBP250 mark!! :eek: Baracutas here in the UK (not sure where you are?) are typically around GBP120, though occasionally you see them at half that in sales. Low sizes or odd colours, though, typically.

For overall balance between quality, fit and price, I highly recommend Merc. http://www.merc.com/ You can find them on eBay for around the GBP60.00 mark, or less (I got my PoW check jacket for a steal, it was about GBP25 on sale, new!). A same-colour logo down on the flank, very unobtrusive, easily missed, and a Royal Stewart pattern lining is the norm with these. They're what I would go for every time in this style. Aside from being polycotton, the only other difference of note to the G9 is that they have regular, se-in sleeves rather than raglan. That bothers some folks, but I really don't care about it, tbh.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Check out the Nigel Cabourn version of the Harrington:

86162_1.jpg

86163_1.jpg

But at almost 350 EUR list price not really cheap! ...But oh so nice!!

Here's mine (Ben Sherman Harrington, olive)

16765_0.jpg

Last edited:

budrichard

Familiar Face
If you don't require the 'Barracuta' appellation on your jacket, Eddie Bauer made a very good jacket of that style, Made in Hong Kong, of which I have purchased two on the 'Bay and the quality is excellent as well as reasonable prices.-Dick

Levallois

Practically Family
I didn't really require the Baracuta tag on my Harrington jacket but I wanted it to be tan. I found one of the licensed Van Heusen Baracutas for about 1/5 what the real ones go for so I thought I'd give it a try. It seems ok to me but we'll see. I'm taking her for an initial try-out tonight.

P1000049.jpg

P1000046.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Too much like a Nation Front website for me. Won't be getting my money. Shame, looks quite a nice jacket.

They obviously do cater to the skinhead aesthetic; unsurprisingly, really, as I think it was the last big youth cult to really take the Harrington to its heart. That said, contrary to the popular contemporary notion of skinheads as neoNazis, the far right ideology only became a part of that movement later on, into the eighties. Before that, it was a very multicultural thing, as much about reggae as oi punk. I don't know then that it would be entirely fair to ascribe far right politics to the folks behind this website without further evidence, though certainly I don't think it's much a breach of the house rules to agree that I wouldn't want to support somewhere I thought was leaning to that sort of ideology. I certainly elected, some years back, not to buy (of all things) some Wehrmacht insignia I required for a costume because the website I was looking at just seemed rather too enthusiastic about the SS (as opposed to preserving history)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff