Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrington Jacket vs. A-2

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

I'm having sticker shock at these A-2 prices or maybe I'm just coming to my senses, but I'm starting to think I should just go with a Harrington jacket and not bother with a leather jacket at all. So just from a practical standpoint, what is the advantage (if any) of an A-2 jacket vs. a Harrington. Both have knits cuffs/waistband. Both are lined with cotton. Both will keep the wearer reasonably dry in the rain. And both can be fastened at the neck. But I'm wondering about their respective thermal properties. Specifically, will a Harrington jacket keep the wearer as warm as an A-2 will? I can generally wear an A-2 comfortably down to freezing, but probably not below. Can I take a Harrington down to freezing? I've never worn an official Baracuda Harrington jacket. I'm not really interested in the style issue. This is just about practicality. At sub-$300, a Harrington is an attractive option. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No leather jacket is warm in itself - layering keeps you warm. But an A2 will be more wind resistant and will feel more substantial and will last much longer. If you wore a Baracuda a lot you might get 5 years out of it before it got sloppy looking. You'll get many times that from an A2 which will only look better with some wear. Surely you can find a decent leather jacket or an A2 for $300....

D

Deleted member 16736

No leather jacket is warm in itself - layering keeps you warm. But an A2 will be more wind resistant and will feel more substantial and will last much longer. If you wore a Baracuda a lot you might get 5 years out of it before it got sloppy looking. You'll get many times that from an A2 which will only look better with some wear. Surely you can find a decent leather jacket or an A2 for $300....

5 years isn't a long time. if you know of a good new leather jacket for $300, I'd love to hear it.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
A real Baracuta shouldn't be an everyday jacket unless it's black and your loaded. My slimfit G9 is tan and I treat it as if it was worth as much as Tutunkhamen's death mask. I've had mine three or four years and it still looks mint.

wanz

One of the Regulars
I have two Baracuta Harringtons and an A2. From a thermal standpoint the A2 is the warmer jacket. I don't know that it makes it a more practical jacket. The A2 probably covers a similar range just further down the temperature scale. With proper layering, you cold probably take a Baracuta Harrington down to freezing, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's more of a fall jacket than a winter one. To echo Highwaymanman's point, the Harrington isn't going to be as durable. They're well made, but nothing like an A2. If cost is an issue, you may want to take a look at some waxed cotton jackets.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Where are you based I'll check the UK as well, they used to do a really nice perforated leather version.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I was looking for a Baracuta Harrington a while ago, should have bought them when they were cheaper. Then I checked their prices last month, they have apparently raised the price quite significantly. I am not sure whether they have now shifted their production back to England for all the jackets. They used to have the Made in England line vs non England line before the price hike. There are also other companies in the UK which sell Harringtons as well, I remember there was a thread discussing about them a while ago?

Edited:

Here is the link to the shop in Brighton

http://www.jumpthegun.co.uk/shop/Product/Index/23

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Harrington jackets are classic cool for sure. But I have a hard time with a leather version for some reason. To me it'd be like having a cotton A2 or a leather type III trucker jacket!

Last edited:

chamboid

One of the Regulars
The jump the gun harrington's are well worth the money, the wool one is fantastic. love that shop

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
5 years isn't a long time. if you know of a good new leather jacket for $300, I'd love to hear it.

Ebay, man. I just got a 1969 Brooks cafe racer in near mint for $270. It has around 40 years left in it. I've seen not awful A2's for less.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Ebay, man. I just got a 1969 Brooks cafe racer in near mint for $270. It has around 40 years left in it. I've seen not awful A2's for less.

Ebay is really hard for me because I'm 6'2" and vintage is almost always too short.

The Jump The Gun set-in sleeve Harrington is very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

chamboid

One of the Regulars
The quality of the raglan is slight better, and that's also the classic cut. They run long in the body too. I am 5.6 and have the exact opposite problem, everyone these days have Lind arms and torsos.

New baracuta prices are strange, but the company has just sadly changed hands and is owned by an Italian brand

Justhandguns

Practically Family
The quality of the raglan is slight better, and that's also the classic cut. They run long in the body too. I am 5.6 and have the exact opposite problem, everyone these days have Lind arms and torsos.

New baracuta prices are strange, but the company has just sadly changed hands and is owned by an Italian brand

Ah! That explains their new pricing. Somewhat the same as Belstaff a few years ago. So the Italians are buying up all the British brands?
That just reminded me of the monopoly of spectacles/sunglasses by Luxottica worldwide, the Italian company owns almost all major brands and OEM all designer branded specs and shades. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxPLGPO2q3E

Anyway, I may try JTG Harrington later on as it's made in the UK at the very least. But I must say a Harrington can never replace a leather jacket.

Edward

Bartender
I've got a bunch of Harrington-style jackets, having tried a few options over the years. Sometimes you can be lucky with one of the very cheap ones, though often it's a compromise. Typically, I find that the cheaper you go, the more they are inclined to be shapeless bags, cut to fit someone with the physique of a Weeble. Still, some decent options out there, and if it's a colour you want but might not wear with great frequency (like my bright red number), cheap can be good. Of all the ones with which I have experimented, I'm fondest of my Merc of London jackets. Set-in sleeves rather than raglan and manufactured in, if memory serves, China. Both of these things are just fine with me, though some folks get funny about them. I've looked at some of the high end stuff - the Baracutas are nice, but not worth the extra to me; ditto the very significantly even more expensive Grenfell take on this style that I looked at a couple of years ago (actually, the Grenfell, while undoubtedly high in quality, looked definitely over-sized to my eye). Something doesn't sit right with me when it comes to the notion of a very expensive Harrington - they were always, in my experience, a solid, affordable, working class jacket. That said, I suppose there must be plenty of reproduction stuff fitting that description that I don't blink at the big money tags being set to. The Jump the Gun jackets look nice - I'll definitely check them out next time I'm down that way. Especially that navy wool-blend one. If they compare well to my Mercs, they're an absolute bargain at that king of money. I wouldn't take one of these over a leather jacket, but then I wouldn't necessarily consider leather superior either. Horses for courses - my Harringtons (all cotton) are ideal for a slightly warmer temperature than the A2 can manage.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I too have had a very positive experience with Jump the Gun Harrington s and when trying a number on in the shop noted that most ran quite long in the body. Ended up selling the one I purchased, not due to quality but for the fact it didn't get worn with an A2 in my wardrobe.

IMG_0079.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Ebay is really hard for me because I'm 6'2" and vintage is almost always too short.

The Jump The Gun set-in sleeve Harrington is very nice.

I'm 6'2" - I've bought at least 8 great jackets this way. All you do is note the measurements. It's actually hard to get wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch