Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrington Jacket vs. A-2

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

I'm 6'2" - I've bought at least 8 great jackets this way. All you do is note the measurements. It's actually hard to get wrong.

I note the measurements, and they're invariably too short.

D

Deleted member 16736

I don't understand that Joel - there are always more jackets on line than I can buy. Why not try vintage apparel sites. Vintage Trends sells heaps of cheap leather.

I need a 26" sleeve. It's rare to find a vintage jacket with a sleeve that long. Usually 25 or 25.5" is the max.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I need a 26" sleeve. It's rare to find a vintage jacket with a sleeve that long. Usually 25 or 25.5" is the max.

My last jacket had 27 inch sleeves. Brooks cafe racer. I always go with 26 inches myself, but Joe what I'm hearing from you is that ebay doesn't work for you. Okay. I'll stop.;)

D

Deleted member 16736

My last jacket had 27 inch sleeves. Brooks cafe racer. I always go with 26 inches myself, but Joe what I'm hearing from you is that ebay doesn't work for you. Okay. I'll stop.;)

I'd love a vintage jacket and use eBay all the time, but for the period I'm interested in (1930s-50s), longer jackets are unfortunately quite rare.

Edward

Bartender
I've just this last week had strongly recommended to me the Ben Nevis Clothing store in Camden (North London)'s in-house brand 'Combat' take on the Harrington - https://www.bennevisclothing.com/product-tag/combat/ They have long had something of a cult following, and certainly look pretty decent in the photos. At GBP40 odds, they're not the cheapest around, but the sort of money at which I've normally found you could get a very serviceable jacket with care. Personally not so keen on the flag label, but that could be easily addressed with a stitch-ripper. YMMV. The design does incorporate a raglan sleeve, which is a nice detail at this price point (I don't personally have any aversion to the set-in sleeve style, but for many the raglan is a key element of the true Harrington style). Worth noting also that the rear yoke looks to be sewn down rather than vented. This is common on the more affordable options and is something I personally prefer, but again it's not everyone's bag. In a month or two when this insane weather cools down, I'm planning to take a run up to Camden and try one of these on. I'll take a known quantity jacket with me and see what I make of it. Will try to remember to report back here....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk