Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrison Ford picks the hat. Cowboys and Aliens

El Sid

New in Town
Cute discussion, where the hat is of great importance, but whether or not it is the right crown, taper, crease, et cet to fit Harrison Ford's face and build is not the topic - instead his character has to have the biggest hat because he plays the most powerful lawman in the movie (apparently). The 'stature' of the hat relative to other character's hats has to match the character's power level amongst the other characters.

That's an interesting point and it makes me wonder if I should get a bigger hat than the typical 5 1/4" crown and 2.75" brim, at least to wear around the house so I can improve my own stature and power. I'll say, "Honey, you can't talk that way to a man in a hat this big." Or, "Sorry, but a man in a hat of this stature does not take the garbage out. Get a guy in a small hat to do the job."

Sam Craig

One Too Many
My third cousin, Strother Martin, played a pivotal role in True Grit ... he was the horse agent and one of the parts that was NOT ruined by Kim Darby.

He also went on to star in the cult classic Sssssss, which also starred Dirk Benedict as the young man Strother turns into a king cobra.

Laugh riot, but not much in the way of hats. I think Strother might have worn a Panaman in a scene or two.

He did wear them in "real life" according to the family.

Sam

W4ASZ

Practically Family
My third cousin, Strother Martin, played a pivotal role in True Grit ... he was the horse agent and one of the parts that was NOT ruined by Kim Darby.

He also went on to star in the cult classic Sssssss, which also starred Dirk Benedict as the young man Strother turns into a king cobra.

Laugh riot, but not much in the way of hats. I think Strother might have worn a Panaman in a scene or two.

Sam

He looked good in a hat, and understood the importance of communication. :eeek:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's an interesting point and it makes me wonder if I should get a bigger hat than the typical 5 1/4" crown and 2.75" brim, at least to wear around the house so I can improve my own stature and power. I'll say, "Honey, you can't talk that way to a man in a hat this big." Or, "Sorry, but a man in a hat of this stature does not take the garbage out. Get a guy in a small hat to do the job."

At some point you his the point of diminishing returns. Big hat big man, REALLY big hat, you look like a mushroom and then they turn out the lights and throw Cow doody on you....

later

RBH

Bartender

Sam

Mr Martin was one of my favorites when I was growing up.

cool_hand_luke_martin.jpeg

[video=youtube;V2f-MZ2HRHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ[/video]

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Mr Martin was one of my favorites when I was growing up.

cool_hand_luke_martin.jpeg

[video=youtube;V2f-MZ2HRHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ[/video]

Now, I've been wondering where Guns n' Roses got that quote (used in their 1990 recording "civil war") for the last twenty years, but have never bothered to look into it. Thanks, RBH!!!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I think Ford looks good in his new hat. I wish I had one like it.

You wish you HAD one or wish you could AFFORD one?
There are plenty of places to get the Tom Mix look with ribbon binding.

Tom Mix, Gus, Quigley, whatever you want to call it, they are being produced by quite a few companies right now ...
Of course like all fur felt hats, they aren't cheap, either, but I think they are fairly easy to find on the Net, unlike years ago when you had to find a cowboy hat and then take the customizing in your own hands.

Money is all it takes now.

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran