Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone ever had a bespoke fedora made from Baron hats?

kaosharper1

One Too Many
metropd said:
Since I'm going to go with a custom hat I decided its going to be with Art.

You won't regret it. I have four. Each is different and a gem. Since you live in SoCal, as I do, and appear to like deep bashed hats with sharp creases, I'd go with a 6" crown in lightweight felt. It looks a lot like the hats from the 1930s.

handlebar bart said:
Yep, Steve. It just seemed alittle shady how they show a picture of the Optimo Depp hat where they are marketing a copy of it. With the careful wording they chose a less than careful reader may assume they made the 'Dillinger' hat for the movie. Or for that matter, may believe that the hat they are selling is the same body and ribbon color as the movie hat. Just struck me as a touch dishonest, I didn't want to make too much out of it but it kinda caught my interest.

Edit:Oh, I think we may be talking about two different hats. I was referring to the Optimo movie hat now bogarted by Baron, not the hat worn by the real life Dillinger.

It is one on going "controversy" with Baron Hats. With their history and proximity to Hollywood, they were the 'go to guys' in the past. However, as times have changed they are not quite as involved with the film and TV industry as previous years, but their reputation is "Hatter to the Stars."

Their business model has shifted to reproductions of film hats for a good portion of their sales. Their position of HTTS makes for ads that give the impression of taking credit for many famous screen hats, which gets the fan's business. Here, we can say that of the various hatters we know, several do reproductions of some famous hats without taking credit, but are recognized for quality and a loving approach to the subject matter and their reputations are not tarnish by seemingly prevarications.

On the other side I have had them do two rennovation jobs for me which when completed were very good work, but both times their disorganization and lack of communication made for lengthy delays. Again, the work was really good but you can't be in any hurry.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I agree with the others. From what I see of their website, Baron seems to be too focused on "gimmick" hats. I would fear that they might not be able to satisfy you for a hat that really pays homage to fedoras of the golden age. The western weight beaver felt will hold the styling they bash into the reproduction hats for buyers wanting that style of hat and having the hat retain that style. For a discriminating fedora aficionado such as yourself, that felt would not be up to standards. They may be able to use other hat bodies but why pay more and not get someone to craft the hat who better understands your desires like Mr. Fawcett does?

Le Samouraï

New in Town
Baron Hats - My thoughts

I read with interest some of the comments on Baron Hats. I’ve always been amazed by the detail and passion of everyone on this site, but I really want to set the record straight, at least in my humble opinion (for what it’s worth). I’ve had several hats made from
Baron’s, and as some of you have said, they are excellent. I have over 200 Fedora’s (yes, I know, I know), collected, and made from all over the world, and Baron’s seems to be the only craftsman who actually still makes this kind of quality. I now have had the opportunity to go to their shop in Burbank. It’s beautiful. Mark Mejia, the Master Hatter, who was overwhelmed with work, could not have been more gracious. He gave me the grand tour, and I was spellbound by the plethora of one-of-a-kind equipment he has culled from all over the world. He truly does make these in the old tradition, and it’s grueling amazing work. Sort of reminds me of watching a master potter create a beautiful vase from a clump of clay (I wish I could make hats, or even vases!). They are currently working on over a half dozen big budget features (including “Priest” … you won’t believe the hats they’re making for them, Mark showed me a few!), and tons of big TV shows. While I was there Bob Dylan’s assistant came in to have more hats made for him, and I recognized several other actors (including the star of Deadwood, I forget his name). When I arrived the bearded guy from ZZ Top was just leaving, and also the lead from Three Dog Night and Night Ranger came in (and I'm proud to say I bit my lip and didn't sing "Sister Christian" to him), and when I was leaving Diane Keaton came in wearing what looked like the hat from Annie Hall! The place was jumping with customers, phones ringing, and just wonderful smells of furs being steamed and blocked. Mark did talk about how it took him a long time to transition from the old ways of “bookkeeping” and “invoicing” that he learned from master Eddie Baron (he was his apprentice and bought the shop from him about fifteen years ago), and it did cause problems in delays. But now, in this shop that really feels like something out of Pinocchio (it’s been there since the late 1960’s at this location), there are now computers, and a wonderful group of sales people and an office manager. Reluctantly, but good for us, Mark has entered the 21st century. He even gave me a VIP fitting with this thing that looks like a plastic halo, and measures 28 points of the head, and made me a custom “Dillinger”, that I received yesterday, and fits better than any other hat I’ve ever had. I did a lot of research about the hats on the site, and everyone they say they made, they have. As for the Dillinger, they make it clear that they made the Boater (the hat he gets gunned down in), and even have Depp’s original in their Museum. I think as Fedora lovers we need to embrace Baron’s, since honestly, they are keeping loving hand-blocked technique of hat making alive (and who else is really doing that now?). Honestly, I can’t think of any other company that does what he does (they now even make a Cavanaugh edge!). We all know what goes into the making of a find custom hat, and really, his prices seem to be very reasonable for what you get. The point is, this is someone from another time and place, who shows real passion for the making of hats, and what I see is someone, like the old craftsmen, who cares more about quality than just making money. If you can, please try and visit the shop and meet Mark. I’m sure you will find the excitement I have for him and the history of his shop. The museum is amazing. Yes, there are other company's that buy the trademark and "sell" the hats (like Indiana Jones), but you know as well as I what those hats are like. As everything now is being “punched out” and made in China, this really is a treasure. If you do visit the shop, I’d love to hear from you.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Le Samouraï said:
Honestly, I can’t think of any other company that does what he does (they now even make a Cavanaugh [sic] edge!).

Sorry, but I have to take exception to this statement. Cavanagh Edges are made during the felting process, not during the finishing process. Baron does not make their own felts, so they don't make Cavanagh Edges.

Unless Mark found a felter overseas that he talked into making Cavanagh Edge bodies for him, he can't offer these, as the American felter that supplies the majority of the hat bodies to the custom hatters around the country will not make them for any amount of money. It's possible he talked a Chinese felt factory into making them, as they might be the only ones who would do it, but there's a huge learning curve involved in making them and finishing them. When I talked to him a few years back, he didn't even know what a Cavanagh Edge was.

Brad

The wokrmanship I have seen is good and solid, if they can fix their system for handling orders and communicate better it would make for a better shop.

I do know they are hat enthusiasts when it comes to making stuff, doing renovation work, that the hat gets handled well, but it has been on the information for the order and customer relations side that things got difficult.

We've seen this happen with a number of custom hat makers previously. There are threads about what happened to my order and how long should this take, in this Hat section, so Baron has experienced what others have too.

This is where developing a system to handle and track the work while enabling the counter person the ability to correctly take down the information , pass it along to the crew and inform the customers accurately too is worth its weight in gold.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Le Samouraï said:
He even gave me a VIP fitting with this thing that looks like a plastic halo....... I think as Fedora lovers we need to embrace Baron’s, since honestly, they are keeping loving hand-blocked technique of hat making alive (and who else is really doing that now?). Honestly, I can’t think of any other company that does what he does.

Well you sure found the right forum to discover the other hatters that make custom hats. Art Fawcett- Vintage Silhouettes, Mike Moore- Buckaroo Hatters, Tony Bouner- Tumwater Hat Co., Optimo, Steve Delk, Penman Hats, etc. etc. There are a bunch of them and they do amazing work. Heck you can get two from most of the ones mentioned for the price of one from Barons, but you may not run into the bearded guy from ZZ Top.

Fedora

Vendor
I think as Fedora lovers we need to embrace Baron’s, since honestly, they are keeping loving hand-blocked technique of hat making alive (and who else is really doing that now?).

Are you actually being serious? Almost every small hatter today hand blocks, Art included.

And as Brad said, UNLESS China is making cav edges, there are none to be had.

Mark from Barons called me in 07 to find a felt supplier. Which I thought was really odd.

I am sorry, but I can't take your post as being serious. But, no offense. You sound more like a personal friend, to Mark.

I have nothing against Barons, except they lied(embellished?) about the Indy 4 hat. Prior to he film's release. I still helped him out with a felt supplier though. Mark is probably an ok guy. He really wanted to make the Indy 4 hat-bad. So, I can understand what he did back in 07. But, I don't have to like it. ;) But, I would be friends with the guy if I got the chance. I love his shop. And as I said, he probably is a real nice guy, in a non competitive situation.

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Le Samouraï said:
I read with interest some of the comments on Baron Hats. I
Le Samouraï seems to have been blinded by the starlight. He (she?) should hit the road and visit some of the other hatters toiling in the U.S. My favorites are Milton Johnson in Santa Fe and Gary White in Buffalo (where ZZ Top may have once played), and other list members have their favorites. What Baron offers...other than fawning over stars...is hardly unique in America. I am glad that Le Samouraï had such a good experience at Baron's and maybe Baron will be his hatter of choice, but is Baron unique or uniquely wonderful or turning out uniquely fine hats? Hardly. One wonders where Le Samouraï acquired his 200 fedoras if he has not before now encountered a good hat maker?

Buzz

Mulceber

Practically Family
since honestly, they are keeping loving hand-blocked technique of hat making alive (and who else is really doing that now?).

I actually laughed when I read that. I could name four or five right off the top of my head that are doing that. Maybe more.

Mark may be an okay guy, but because of his exorbitant prices and tendency to imply he made film hats he didn't, I have no intention of buying from him. -M

Happy for you that you've had such a positive experience with Baron's, Le Samourai. And I'm happy for the apparent success of just about any good custom hat shop. As I see it, the more hatters there are (within reason) the better for all of us, because it means more quality hats are out there and more people are considering hats for themselves.

But, as Fedora Steve already noted, virtually all custom hat shops "hand block" hats. And virtually all are using "antique" (or "vintage," at any rate) equipment, because blocks and flanges and much of the hat-making-specific machinery hasn't been made in truly large quantities in several decades and having it replicated is almost prohibitively expensive. (Although it should be noted that blocks and flanges are indeed being made these days, as is some of the machinery. Just be prepared to pay.)

It is doubtful that any of that equipment you alluded to is really "one-of-a-kind." Rare, perhaps. Not the sorts of things you'll find at the local fabric store or Harbor Freight Tools, certainly. But there used to be a real demand for those tools, when there was a hatter in every town of any size, and there were manufacturers ready to meet that demand. Enough of it survives that most all custom hat shops have it -- rounding jacks, brim irons, curling shackles, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

I suppose I ought to be happy that Baron's is charging $798 for what may indeed be a fine enough lid (hard to tell from the pictures), seeing how I know for certain that others make a truly fine all-beaver hat for which they charge less than half that amount. Baron's, it seems, sells a whole lot of sizzle with their steak.

RBH

Bartender
Le Samouraï said:
... Reluctantly, but good for us, Mark has entered the 21st century. He even gave me a VIP fitting with this thing that looks like a plastic halo, and measures 28 points of the head, and made me a custom “Dillinger”, that I received yesterday, and fits better than any other hat I’ve ever had. .....

Mike Moore of Buckaroo Hatters better get on the ball... he has one over 100 years old and made out of wood.

042y.jpg

point of it is ... our lounge membership has many fine hatters that use many vintage tools no longer readily available. And make fine hats the old fashioned way.
And you can trust what they say to be fact.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Le Samouraï said:
I have over 200 Fedora’s (yes, I know, I know), collected, and made from all over the world, and Baron’s seems to be the only craftsman who actually still makes this kind of quality.
If you have over 200 fedoras, it's high time you started posting pictures
of them here.

BTW, folks here have only been mentioning dress hat makers so far.
There are still plenty of western/cowboy hat makers still using
original equipment, such as North Valley and Rocky Mountain Hat Company.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A quote from the Baron hats site:

"The "Dillinger" can be ordered in either 100% Dress Weight Fur Felt, or the original production exclusive 200XXX 100% Beaver. Both come with an engraved leather sweatband, silk-satin lining, our special Lifetime Guarantee, and a Signed and Numbered Certificate of Authenticity."

Authentic to what, I wonder?

Charlie

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
bruce wayne said:
A quote from the Baron hats site:

"The "Dillinger" can be ordered in either 100% Dress Weight Fur Felt, or the original production exclusive 200XXX 100% Beaver. Both come with an engraved leather sweatband, silk-satin lining, our special Lifetime Guarantee, and a Signed and Numbered Certificate of Authenticity."

Authentic to what, I wonder?

Charlie

lol Or "original production exclusive 200XXX 100% beaver".

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
Of course it's authentic. It's 200XXX.

EDIT: Bart beat me to it.

How come I never see Britney Spears when I come by to get custom fit for a hand blocked fedora from you Tony?lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran