Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone owned a US Authentic(flightjacket.com) Sportster jacket?

Bat_Fastard

New in Town
I lurked for a bit, it seems this forum gravitates towards accurate historical representations for jackets, but I hadn't found any other opinions on Authentic's jackets on other websites.

I'm looking to get a well fitting, full grain leather jacket that will last many years. I had settled upon the Sportster due to the custom sizing options, as Schott's casual jackets seemed too trim in the shoulders, and too blousy/baggy in the sleeves and chest. This was just based on the measurement sheets.

My real chest size in inches is 34. Shaul suggested I get an A-2 in Size 34, so we can move forward with the custom Sportster. I found it to be a proper fit in the shoulders, baggy in the chest, mid-section, and sleeves, and too long as well, basically the same issues I thought I might encounter with Schott's casual cafe racers.

Does anyone have pictures or comments regarding the Sportster? I'd like a trim fit similiar to this

img3709v.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Jeez man, are you sure? That jacket looks to be two sizes too small for the wearer. It's two inches too short in the sleeve and looks to be about the same in the length, Unless you're looking at copying how leather jackets are worn in Japan (they like them under sized over there) you may wish to reconsider.

Bat_Fastard

New in Town
Jeez man, are you sure? That jacket looks to be two sizes too small for the wearer. It's two inches too short in the sleeve and looks to be about the same in the length, Unless you're looking at copying how leather jackets are worn in Japan (they like them under sized over there) you may wish to reconsider.
You know, not really. You think that would be uncomfortable? My main goal is a trim, but comfortable fit.

I'm fine with the sleeves, but I'd want the jacket to be 2 inches longer

Smithy

I'll Lock Up

+1

That is super, super trim and IMO would not be comfortable to wear in the slightest - you wouldn't have much range of movement with that fit whatsoever. As Seb says, that's "Japanese trim" which would never be my first choice for a fit I'd go for.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It will help work out some key measurements for yourself based on a jacket that currently fits you. Sleeve length, back length, pit to pit (chest). Maybe even get some advice from the company. I do know that it often takes a couple of jackets before one is entirely happy. If a jacket is overly fitted it will be uncomfortable and probably won't fit you in a few years.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You know, not really. You think that would be uncomfortable? My main goal is a trim, but comfortable fit.

I'm fine with the sleeves, but I'd want the jacket to be 2 inches longer

I'm with Seb - every time that guy reaches for his beer, those sleeves must almost be up around his elbows, and I suspect that when that collar's buttoned up, it's more of a tourniquet.

Last edited:

Bat_Fastard

New in Town
It will help work out some key measurements for yourself based on a jacket that currently fits you. Sleeve length, back length, pit to pit (chest). Maybe even get some advice from the company. I do know that it often takes a couple of jackets before one is entirely happy. If a jacket is overly fitted it will be uncomfortable and probably won't fit you in a few years.
That's definitely the main issue for me, I can't actually find a jacket that fits me off the rack. I do have a peacoat, but it's a completely different fit with a 38 inch chest. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what I get from US Authentic in regards to the Sportster.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
The A2s from U.S. Authentic do tend to run a bit long and somewhat bulky. Maybe due to the heavy leathers used as well as the cut. Shaul will work with you though to make a good fit for your custom jacket. They have many years of experience and make quality jackets.

crk

New in Town
My US a a-2 looks as new as the day I took it out of the box 5 years ago. It won't get any kind of patina or wear with age. So yes it will look new forever.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I bought a US authentic A2 in January 2011, and I've worn it on my bike as often as possible. My jacket is horsehide, and I've found it to wear quite well - it's developed a good deal of creasing and character. Additionally, my size 40 seems a little wide and a little long on me - so I'd probably get a size smaller next time. Maybe I have a different hide than crk, but my jacket has a very nice weathered look to it. No complaints here for what I paid.

Bat_Fastard

New in Town
I bought a US authentic A2 in January 2011, and I've worn it on my bike as often as possible. My jacket is horsehide, and I've found it to wear quite well - it's developed a good deal of creasing and character. Additionally, my size 40 seems a little wide and a little long on me - so I'd probably get a size smaller next time. Maybe I have a different hide than crk, but my jacket has a very nice weathered look to it. No complaints here for what I paid.
Can you post pictures of yours?

I just received my sportster. It fits well and looks great. My only disappointment is that it's genuine leather and not full grain leather and feels plasticky, but it is indeed thick and heavy.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Can you post pictures of yours?

I just received my sportster. It fits well and looks great. My only disappointment is that it's genuine leather and not full grain leather and feels plasticky, but it is indeed thick and heavy.

Most of the big jacket makers do not use full grain, it's not a significant issue. The plastic feel will be how the leather has been dressed. Hopefully wearing it will break down the surface finish.

Bat_Fastard

New in Town
Most of the big jacket makers do not use full grain, it's not a significant issue. The plastic feel will be how the leather has been dressed. Hopefully wearing it will break down the surface finish.
I was not aware of that, thanks for telling me Seb.

What brands DO use full grain leather, and around what price range? Now I'm thinking Schott does not use full grain leather either for most of their $600-750 models.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I was not aware of that, thanks for telling me Seb.

What brands DO use full grain leather, and around what price range? Now I'm thinking Schott does not use full grain leather either for most of their $600-750 models.

Apart from Bill Kelso drawing our attention to FG it hasn't come up all that often. As I said, it isn't all that common and doesn't matter much in terms of the quality for the wearer. I can't say much more. Why does it matter to you?

Bat_Fastard

New in Town
Apart from Bill Kelso drawing our attention to FG it hasn't come up all that often. As I said, it isn't all that common and doesn't matter much in terms of the quality for the wearer. I can't say much more. Why does it matter to you?
Hmm, interesting.

Quality was definitely a factor, but once again, this is quite thick, well constructed, and heavy, which is contradictory to me. I'm used to buying full grain leather shoes which typically do have superior quality to lesser hides used. The way it feels and wears is also important to me. I've found that full grain leather looks even better over time when beat up vs. genuine leather.

What do you mean by genuine leather..? Seems anything made of animal hide is genuine leather unless I am missing something. Are you suggesting that everything else that's not full grain is classified as just genuine leather..?
HD

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, interesting.

Quality was definitely a factor, but once again, this is quite thick, well constructed, and heavy, which is contradictory to me. I'm used to buying full grain leather shoes which typically do have superior quality to lesser hides used. The way it feels and wears is also important to me. I've found that full grain leather looks even better over time when beat up vs. genuine leather.

I'd suggest you read up some more on leather varieties. The category "genuine leather" doesn't exist, it's a short hand way of describing all leather from bonded rubbish used for making belts to the best possible cordovan for boots.

The reality is that the best brands and makers don't always use top grain and some of the longest lasting, nicest looking jackets ever posted here (70 years old plus) are not top grain.

How leather looks is usually about how it is tanned and dressed. Get to know what you like; horse or goat or steer, work out what thickness you want and what surface look.

I'm sure you can get top grain leather if that's what floats your boat but you'll need to ask the makers directly. It isn't a factor that gets raised here all that often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo