Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat ads present and future

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
James -- Neat hats; alas I would not look good in them. Garbo, maybe, but not with my stout face. Got to be roaring 20's. Lord, look at the prices!

Re the Dobbs "gamebird": some of those hats look today like what are considered Zoot hats on ebay, the style and shape. I think I recall classic Zoot hats having way bigger brims than that (or maybe I am just remembering the movie Superfly, which came out long after zoot hats came into style). I don't know how old that hat is, 50's maybe, but it was before the ZIP code change. Note the address below. Isn't that now 10022?

I do all my food foraging at the supermarket, unless I am too lazy. Then, I get something at a restaurant.

karol

KD, yeah that hat ad is from 1928. It is quite a while back that is for sure. Are you sure the one with the wide brim wouldn't look good on you? :p
The Dobbs Gamebird hat had about a 3" brim. That is probably too small for the 4" and larger zoot suit hats of the 40s but the ad is from 1948 so I would not put it past many of the zoot suiters. :) Although Cab Calloway wore one that looked like a 5" brim at the time. I suppose that would have been a really good sun hat. :)
My wife does most of the foraging for both of us.

Regards to all,

J

shadowass.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
It is possible the hat would not look bad on me. I notice the two flapper beauties are a bit chubby-faced themselves, not like today's cadaverous models. There is a photo of Garbo in a classic Garbo fedora that is not unsimilar to the hat on the left-hand side. I have that photo on my computer but cannot download it anymore. If I find it on the net, I will tell you where it is.

I have some stocking toque hats that look somewhat like the hat on the right.

So, the original zoots were 4" brims?! That is bigger than the Aussie hats. That is a cowboy hat brim! And, you are right, over that, it would be a sun hat.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo