Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Ads

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
More...

Here are a few more...
91_1_b.JPG

30022.jpg

30023.jpg

mallory.jpg

stetson1937A2.jpg

stetson1937A1.jpg

8b_1_b.JPG

86_1_b.JPG

Ok, that should hold y'all for a spell. I particularly like the 1927 Knox ad.

Cheers!

Dan

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Another from '43 Hat Life...

Here's what Disney Hats told the buyers would be running in Esquire...
detail

detail

I found it gratifying to see the ad for the "Robin Hood," which allowed me to date my recently-acquire platinum "Robin Hood Twenty."
detail

I'm happy to share hi-res copies of the ad photos if you want to read them better. Shoot me a PM with email.

See now this is why I compile these ads. They are a good source for dating what you have or what you might find.
I like the Glove Finish Knox ad but that Alcazar looks an awful lot like the Dobbs Gay Prince and the some of the Stetson Suede Finish hats. I know I have two of the suede finish that the seller sold me as suede. :p
They look sort of like this:
Stetson-Privateer3.jpg

and
Stetson-Privateer1.jpg

Regards to all,

J

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to resurrect this dead thread.

These three are from 1929/1930, "The Saturday Evening Post".

hatad001.jpg

hatad002.jpg

hatad003.jpg

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
I have a bunch old ads to share.

Can someone give me quick tutorial on how to load pictures or link to such?

Thanks for sharing them, I learn a lot from the old hat ads.

Thanks
Fredthecat

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Apparel Arts, Vol 1.2, Spring 1932.

Unsurprisingly, most of the major hat companies were represented. No Knox, though.

Probably just a coincidence, but that was the exact time of year that Cavanagh-Dobbs and Knox were merging. Perhaps they declined to advertise, with things up in the air.

bk, could you post the text from the Dobbs ad about the Cavart process? I can only read portions of it.

I love these early thirties ads. Thanks for posting them!

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
bk, could you post the text from the Dobbs ad about the Cavart process? I can only read portions of it.

More, much more, to come. I have 10 or so issues of AA scanned, and i'll post all the hat ads here - it'll take a while though. very labour intensive to get them back to published standard.

Yes, sorry i had to reduce the file size somewhat. Makes it difficult to read. Each original jpg is about 1MB. high quality scans of folio-sized pages will tend to produce big big images. Here's the Dobbs text:

"In every industry, new and old, there is a leader. And leadership demands a constant setting of pace. true to its position in the hatter's craft, Dobbs has introduced a new and original method - the CAVART PATENTED PROCESS - into the fashioning of its custom-quality hats. Affording strength where strength is needed - at the edge of the brim - the Cavart process gives a pleasing degree of permanence to the underlying style and line and yet permits individual shaping of the hat to suit the preference of the wearer."

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany