Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Bashing/Creasing Variety

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I Beg To Differ....

I'm not sure people look at that thread or actually give the other options a try. They may place the alternatives on their head and be happily surprised.

I really do think you need to do some more searching. Have you looked at all the great hats and variety of creases/styles, just in the "What are you wearing today" thread? :whistling

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
In the 'favorite bash poll' we recently did, the diamond crease was the overwhelming favorite. [huh] And with that I am slowly backing out the door:)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Most of my hats have a C or teardrop bash. I guess I should have stated that earlier in my post about what my Fed IV will receive, a center dent, in emulation of the HJ Poet.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
Let it just be said that, although Indy's hat influences many hat wearers today; the hat wearers prior to 1980 influenced Indy's hat. Therefore, a nice hat is a nice hat, and a reflection of better days in fashion. That is all that should matter. :D

Absolutely. IJ's hat didnt come out of nowhere. It just reintroduced the fedora to society in a big way, returning to life what had been an almost dead concept.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
scottyrocks said:
...I guess I should have stated that earlier in my post about what my Fed IV will receive, a center dent, in emulation of the HJ Poet.

Oh, do tell, scottyrocks! Will it be a city boy center crease or a country boy center crease or just a poetic center crease. Do tell!

:D

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Pilgrim said:
I must disagree with the basic premise of this thread.

Just because a hat has a brim snapped down in front, a sharp pinch and something vaguely resembling a C-crown, that does NOT make it an "indiana Jones hat." What it makes it is nothing more nor less than a conventional fedora hat with a bash typical of those work for 30+ years by males all over the world. And that hat style (the fedora) was named for a character in a play staged in the late 1800's - and a female character at that.

Calling such a generic style an Indiana Jones hat reflects more on limitations in the commentator's viewpoint than any fact which is conveyed. If that's Rik's primary context for a hat work in that style, perhaps more perusal of old movies would help broaden said viewpoint. It's probably most accurately called a fedora, and that's the generic name for the style worn by the movie character and millions of men worldwide.

Otherwise,it would be Rik's job to explain why Jimmy Stewart wore an Indiana Jones hat in most of the (non-western) movies he made - decades before the first Indiana Jones picture was made. ;)

UNFORTUNATELY FURTHER REMARKS
I really hate to get back into this but... No one has even vaguely asserted that all fedoras are "Indiana Jones" hats. An amazing number of the observed hats are not simply Fedoras or even Indiana Jones-like Fedoras but the particular front-pinch(and down turned brim at rear) that is characteristic of the specific hat in Raiders of the Lost Ark and not of period hats in general. Its not a generic hat nor intended to be one. There are 1000's ofmovies with all kinds of fedora front pinch and crown shape variations that look quite different without even getting into other styles of hat. Sure there are lots of different styles on view here but the number that are markedly "Raiders" style is hard to miss.
I just can't help myself...I bought my first "Fedora" in college from the Stetson Store in NYC before Indiana Jones existed its not my definition for the vague style.
.AND NOW despite unnecessary insult I will make no further remarks on this thread which was merely an observation and suggestion for openness to variety and individuality.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I think rlk has an interesting point, although it's not one I necessarily agree with. Men who wear hats generally style/crease their hats the way they perceive looks best on them. That's their perogative. If a pinch front, side dents, snap brim, and c-crown are popular so be it. If this was influenced by the IJ films, that's ok too.

Had a forum such as the FL existed in earlier decades, we might be seeing a lot of men wearing hats influenced by hats worn by any number of film stars. It certainly must have happpened. Styles influenced by hats worn by William Powell, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, and many other actors are frequently referenced in this forum.

I don't think men today are any more or less influenced than those of earlier generations. Styles come and go in the popular imagination. There's nothing new about that.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:
Oh, do tell, scottyrocks! Will it be a city boy center crease or a country boy center crease or just a poetic center crease. Do tell!

:D

Ya know, I dont rightly know just yet. Ill have to see what looks right to me in that particular hat on my particular head.

The Librarian

New in Town
carter said:
I think rlk has an interesting point, although it's not one I necessarily agree with. Men who wear hats generally style/crease their hats the way they perceive looks best on them. That's their perogative. If a pinch front, side dents, snap brim, and c-crown are popular so be it. If this was influenced by the IJ films, that's ok too.

Had a forum such as the FL existed in earlier decades, we might be seeing a lot of men wearing hats influenced by hats worn by any number of film stars. It certainly must have happpened. Styles influenced by hats worn by William Powell, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, and many other actors are frequently referenced in this forum.

I don't think men today are any more or less influenced than those of earlier generations. Styles come and go in the popular imagination. There's nothing new about that.

There's the oft told story (usually by me) of Clark Gable in "It Happened One Night" taking off his shirt to reveal he wore no undershirt. Reportedly sales of undershirts dropped.
Many a young man or woman has turned to the cinema to find a style or a image they think they'd like. Sometimes it works for them, but alot of times it just doesn't look right for their frame, face, or personality. Especially anything spandex during the `80`s. Or white suits.
Many women adopted the Annie Hall look that ended up looking like they just woke up late for work and grabbed whatever was in the front of the closet without looking in the mirror. As far as men's hats, they were chosen for the actor by a designer based on the actor's face. Those with similar features looked great. Those with too thin a face looked like they were balancing a tray on their head. Too thick and they were wearing a toy hat.
People looking to film characters for style references are simply trying to find themselves. Using the look of a character as a starting point to finding their own look is no different than taking fashion cues from parents or friends.

scottyrocks said:
Ya know, I dont rightly know just yet. Ill have to see what looks right to me in that particular hat on my particular head.
That should be the mantra of every hat wearer! Great answer, scottyrocks. :cheers1:

Viper Man

Banned
I'll only add this...

If any of my hats resemble Indy's it is purely by coincidence. My fascination for hats comes from my musical heroes. All of my favorite musicians wore cool hats long before IJ was created. I am more influenced by Lester Young's porkpie or Hank Williams' Open Road or any of the many awesome hats worn by Thelonious Monk than I am by Harrison Ford's costume.

Don't own no Indy hat, don't want no Indy hat. I like the way the character wore his hat but was into hats way before that movie. I have the remains of my grandfather's Open Road & he & that hat are my influences that started way before the movie was ever thought of. I like tear drops & diamond creases for my snap brims & cattleman creases & Montana peaks on my westerns. I think some hats are blocked to look better in a center dent with a tight pinch & some don't. JMHO

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viper Man said:
I'll only add this...

If any of my hats resemble Indy's it is purely by coincidence. My fascination for hats comes from my musical heroes. All of my favorite musicians wore cool hats long before IJ was created. I am more influenced by Lester Young's porkpie or Hank Williams' Open Road or any of the many awesome hats worn by Thelonious Monk than I am by Harrison Ford's costume.
I resemble that remark.......:D

rlk

I'll Lock Up
scottyrocks said:
Great, you have received the thread in its intended spirit.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, rlk and Librarian.

This has been an interesting thread.

The OP stated something that I thought, after reading so much of this board in such a short time, was fairly obvious. But maybe thats because I read so much of it before I posted. But we all seem to agree that choice is good, regardless of influence. Which brings me to my next point.

I'd like a little expansion on this, if the writer (Dewhurst) so desires:

<< You have to remember that a lot of people on these boards and other hat forums got in to hats directly as a result of Indiana Jones and his hat.

I think it is unfortunate, but it is the truth >>

Why is this unfortunate?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Explain, I could. But it is purely my own opinion and there isn't much reason to get in to it.

The blessings are mixed, will have to suffice.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Who cares why one gets into hat wearing? (that's rhetorical) Amusingly enough, wearing non-Indy hats got me into wearing Indy hats... even though I loved Indy for years before that.

rlk - Not to nit-pick, but you've made a mistake in your definition of the Indy style hat. I only point this out because it is relevant - how we define the Indy hat has much to do with how we either embrace or avoid the look. Indy's hat does not have a brim turned down in the back, except in one scene (out of 4 movies). The brim is in fact turned up, just not as much as on the sides. Outback hats, like the Quartermain lid, have the back turned down.

And that really tight pinch that overwhelms the entire front of the crown is distinctly Raiders, not any other film. In most of the Indy films, the pinch isn't even as tight as most hats I've seen in old noir detective films.

So, if you really step back; one man's generic fedora is another's Indy hat... and vice verse. [huh] The only way to avoid the Indy look in everyone's eyes would be to never use a center dent, have a very "up" rear brim, and very wide front pinch. Can't even manage a good Bogie with those rules. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21