Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Cleaning Repair & Restoration: Where?

coble

A-List Customer
www.blacksheephatworks.com (i trust in his work, he's a talent to be reckoned with, check his website and he actually shows a photo of a hat he restored, and its awesome.) Bob is located in washington state

www.limpiacreekhats.com (i've met the lady who makes the hats and restores them as well and seen her work, the shop is 15 minutes from my house, she just does amazing work.) Houston, Texas

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
I'd add Alexander Conley in Seattle to the list, with a caveat:
http://www.halcyon.com/hatter/about.html

He did remarkable work on a couple hats of mine that other people had screwed up, and he's reasonable. I wouldn't ask him to bind a brim usually, and he himself will warn you ahead of time that his method for doing bindings is not orthodox and may not look right on some hats (though it's bulletproof and I love it on the one hat I had him do).

I don't know if he's accustomed to doing business by mail, but drop him a line and talk and I imagine he'd do it. He's also just great fun to talk to.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Just FYI: I don't know if it's changed recently, but as I understand it Art generally limits his hat repair services to those who are existing customers of his to minimize the impact on his hat making business. If he's made a hat for you in the past, you're an existing customer.

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong and it's possible he makes exceptions, but that's the policy as I understand it. :D

Cheers,
Tom

RBH

Bartender
Just FYI: I don't know if it's changed recently, but as I understand it Art generally limits his hat repair services to those who are existing customers of his to minimize the impact on his hat making business. If he's made a hat for you in the past, you're an existing customer.

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong and it's possible he makes exceptions, but that's the policy as I understand it. :D

Cheers,
Tom

I believe you are correct TY.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I picked up at WWII wool officer's cap not too long ago at an antique store that didn't realize what they had. It's in great shape except for the sweat is missing. Does anyone have experience getting a hat like this worked on? I was thinking of sending it to Optimo but maybe they are not the best choice for this.

I picked up at WWII wool officer's cap not too long ago at an antique store that didn't realize what they had. It's in great shape except for the sweat is missing. Does anyone have experience getting a hat like this worked on? I was thinking of sending it to Optimo but maybe they are not the best choice for this.

There was a guy here recently that did WW2 crusher caps...

I just found a 70s era Borsalino at a flea market. The felt is in great condition but the sweat band has light mold. Whats the best way to clean this hat?

Maybe alcohol? It should kill the mold and it shouldn’t hurt the leather as long as it hasn’t rotted. I prefer denatured ethanol over rubbing (isopropyl). I’d make a few applications and be sure to work it into the leather. The alcohol will strip some of the natural oils from the leather so be sure to condition it with a quality leather conditioner after you’re done and all the alcohol has evaporated. Also be aware there is a possibility that the alcohol solvent and the mechanical rubbing could discolor the leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot