Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat comparison Help

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Baby gone to sleepy-town, eh?

Stylemaster in moonstone: Excellent choice in a color that will go with about anything. I take it you purchased at Hats Direct. What'd you pay for a)the hat, and b) shipping and handling?

Couple things to expect when you get it:

First, it should fit a bit large. Don't freak out. That's as it should be. Use the foam tape that comes with it to make it fit in the short run. Don't pull the backing off the tape and expose the adhesive. It's way too sticky, and the foam tape will easily stay in place under the sweat without it. Remove the tape bit by bit until the hat gradually shrinks from sweat and rain.

Second, the Stylemaster will be cardboard stiff right out of the box. Again, don't freak out. Just bang it aggressively against your legs, the couch, and perhaps your wife. If the crown does not cave in, you're not handling it roughly enough to get this god-awful initial stiff out. (I'm referring to the crown of the hat, not that of your wife.) Just push the cave-in out and continue punching. Fold the brim, front and rear and sides, up and down over and over and over.

I know it's counter-intuitive to do anyting other than handle something brand new with loving care, but don't worry one bit about hurting this hat--it's an Akubra. If you do not intentionally manhandle it to soften the felt and give it a really nice hand, it'll take years to get that way under normal conditions.

Give us your impressions, how long it took to get it, and post some pics as soon as your new Stylemaster arrives.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice AlterEgo.

I paid $102.50 AUS for it, plus $37.60 AUS for shipping. No clue how much that is in USD, but it's all good.

I'll post in new hats when it arrives.

I talked to some really nice people at Hats Direct regarding my head size and my oval shape to get their advice. My wife actually measured my head three times with three different measuring tapes (9 times total). Every time she measured it I was 7-1/4 inch, US.

I have a straw Stetson that is 57 cm and a Resistol straw cowboy that is a 58 cm, but it's a long oval. Hats Direct actually measured their current Stylemasters and they are running a little small-- the 58cm was running at 57.5 cm and the 59cm ones are running a little over 58 cm. So I went with the 59 cm that they recommended. Also, I asked to see if they would stretch it a little for me into a more of an oval shape-- as my head is a little long oval.

Well, I'm crossing my fingers!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
SlyGI said:
I put it into Post New Hats Here, earlier today.

yfpdoar

I'm using the foam that came with it until it shrinks just right to my head. It's an amazing hat!!!!!!!!!

Yep, that's a good looking hat, SlyGI. Nice table, too!

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
Yes, welcome home and thank you!

And also, thanks for pointing out the Stylemaster, which is a great looking hat and closer to my "budget". Now I have to figure out how I'm going to sneak another hat past the "keeper of the checkbook".

Let's see, if I sell something.....add the 2.....hmmmm...anybody want to buy some vintage double edge razors? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou