Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Epiphany

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
after letting go of 150 of my hats and being left with about 7 pieces something became crystal clear to me.

it became very clear as to what styles I actually desire to own and wear ... what I really like.

once the choice was limited and the towers of boxes that filled my studio were gone it came down to two styles that I truly care about

mid ribbon raw edge fedoras ... preferably unlined
and thin ribbon "western" style a la Open Road

of the 150 hats there are two I regret selling ... an OPS era blue Dobbs Cross Country and a circa 1940 grey unlined Playboy

live and learn

not even sure why I'm sharing this ... I think I just needed to type it out for my own psyche

thanks for listening

after letting go of 150 of my hats and being left with about 7 pieces something became crystal clear to me.

it became very clear as to what styles I actually desire to own and wear ... what I really like.

once the choice was limited and the towers of boxes that filled my studio were gone it came down to two styles that I truly care about

of the 150 hats there are two I regret selling ... an OPS era blue Dobbs Cross Country and a circa 1940 grey unlined Playboy

live and learn

not even sure why I'm sharing this ... I think I just needed to type it out for my own psyche

thanks for listening

Shoot, Ant, you could have asked me. I recognized that about you some time ago.

The hat of yours I really regret not getting when you sold it was that Lee Tritone, the one with the triple-bound edge. That was a unique and beautiful hat.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Shoot, Ant, you could have asked me. I recognized that about you some time ago.

The hat of yours I really regret not getting when you sold it was that Lee Tritone, the one with the triple-bound edge. That was a unique and beautiful hat.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
yeah that was a beauty ... not really my style ... but a beauty none the less

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

live and learn

thanks for listening
Glad you posted this. I wondered what it would feel like paring down to what is truly a meaningful hat. After awhile sheer numbers of hats seems to diminishes the personal feeling evoked while hunting “the one”. It’s a weird animal!!
Thanks for sharing and be well.
Bowen

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been wondering what it would be like to be that guy with only one hat.... which one would it be, my signature hat, and what would it look like in 10 years??? But I can't quite get me head around just one...

I could maybe let 10 go for sale, but not sure I could pare down to just 10. Maybe a couple dozen. Baby steps, gents. Baby steps.

sebastian czentner

One of the Regulars
Well having much less hats, and wearing it much less time. Ive started 2 years ago, ive found that i like hats with tall crowns, for example i thought i would like the homburg, and ive purchased a vintage borsalino from the 40´s. But i´ve found that its more my taste a lord´s hat o kind of. Maidana call the model Orion. And is almost victorian or even derby´s, wich i thought that would´nt like, but found that is much of mine taste. Still i like wear Fedoras or funyis, but i like with more crown height. I dont know about inches, because im used to metrical system, being south american. With the homburg i liked the pics, but then when ive worn one, ive found that the crown is smaller than id rather to wear, now hats with 12-13 cntimetres tall, is a hat that i´d rather to wear. Plus tall crowns fits with my huge moustaches and almost round face.
So to resume with my litle experience i´d had some deceptions and some nice surprises like the derby/Bowler/Bombin.

Last edited:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I hear that, Ant.

It's in a good home. You should let the current custodian know if he ever wants to let it go, it should return back to your place.
I have them both, and I treasure them both. I used to think I only liked tapered hats, but that was before I had Anthony's hats on my head, and felt them in my hands. That an expert collector and connoisseur like Anthony regrets selling them makes me realize even more how lucky I am to have them.
I really do not think I would ever consider letting them go, but if I do, I would offer them to Anthony first, of course.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Scooterz

Practically Family

live and learn

thanks for listening

Ok so I drop off the lounge and don't check in for a while trying to convalesce and allow my "hat acquisition syndrome" to subside and what do I discover upon my return? Anthony has an attack of sanity (?} and sells off most of his hats, which by the way probably fit me. Now my condition has morphed into "I've missed the greatest hat aquisition opportunity of my lifetime" syndrome. Thank the Lord, I did just buy myself a hemp strat so I might just make it through the night. Anthony, I applaud you and hope you find a few more gems that you really enjoy. Nobody tell my wife this story.

RJR

Ok so I drop off the lounge and don't check in for a while trying to convalesce and allow my "hat acquisition syndrome" to subside and what do I discover upon my return? Anthony has an attack of sanity (?} and sells off most of his hats, which by the way probably fit me. Now my condition has morphed into "I've missed the greatest hat aquisition opportunity of my lifetime" syndrome. Thank the Lord, I did just buy myself a hemp strat so I might just make it through the night. Anthony, I applaud you and hope you find a few more gems that you really enjoy. Nobody tell my wife this story.
:rolleyes:

I'm with you in the style department Moon = mid-ribbons, Playboy & Wanderer, & thin-ribbons, Open Road/Stratoliner.Within eye-shot of where I'm sitting = Campdrafts, Open Roads, Stratoliners, customs (both mid & thin ribbon), 2ply or thin leather banded Westerns. They get worn. All the ones in boxes & cases are of the same styles, some redundancy around the silverbelly OR/Strat configuration.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
You likely didn't really have a chance. When Moon listed them it broke the internet due to all the traffic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko