Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat for a Job Interview?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Firstly, to answer the question whether hat wearing is more common in the UK than the US? I think it is far less common in the UK, as I find I am usually the only person in a proper felt hat. Also, there are far more hat makers and hat shops in America than in Britain.

Next, people have been asking me what sort of job it is. Let me confess, that it is just a mock job interview in my school (yes, I'm sixteen and like to talk, act and dress like an adult). Therefore, for this mock job interview, nobody cares as long as you are wearing something that resembles a suit. Some of my friends even wore pink shirts. I was simply wondering whether a hat is acceptable for a real job interview.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think it's important to apply the "depends on the job" attitude for your entire onterview outfit. I mean, showing up in any suit can actually ruin your chances for some jobs. It's easy to forget that Home Depot has an interview process. A suit is only going to be helpful if the job is for supervision or management. [huh]

As for a hat, specifically, I have been on enough failed interviews (for all different types of jobs and companies) to say that "blending in" gets you nowhere faster than you'd believe. I have never gotten a single job (or even a second interview) going the conservative standard route. When I was younger, I wore black pants with a blazer that wasn't black, and a bold tie (but never ever ever red). Never a white shirt, either. I got those jobs.

When I entered the more "serious" job market, I tried a more serious interview outfit. I've got 3 years of unemployment to show how well that worked. :rage:

Interviews are like resumes. The masses end up in the trash bin. You don't want to resemble those. A stand-out resume gets you the first interview, which has the most candidates for interviewers to remember. If you stand out there, the second interview will be the one that counts. Who cares if they only invite you back to see what you'll wear.

I say wear the fedora, but take it off inside, along with your overcoat if you have one. They may not even see the hat on you, or perhaps only on your way out. But you'll still be "the guy with hat."

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Not-Bogart13 I like your idea. What I would do is wear the fedora with a plain blue suit and lighter blue shirt, as the hat shows individuality while the suit shows that I will not stick out too much. I also do have an overcoat. The trouble is, my trench coat earns me the annoying nick name "Inspector Gadget" (at least from degenerative idiots on the street) so I would probably go with a safer great coat.

About not wearing a red tie, my father told me he wore a red shirt for job interviews when he was 18 and his father nearly threw a fit saying that employers would think him a communist (this was the early '70s).

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Bowers said:
My hat is a part of me, of who I am. I wear it everyday, not matter what, so I have worn one to every job interview, regardless of the job. I also wear a suit. If they can't accept my hat, they can't accept me.:)Brad

I have to agree with Mr. Bowers, but my business is not always conducive to caring what my "customers" think...and I wore my Bradford western to my last job iterview in 1980, got the job and have been here ever since.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
The trouble is, my trench coat earns me the annoying nick name "Inspector Gadget" (at least from degenerative idiots on the street) so I would probably go with a safer great coat.QUOTE]
My trench gets me the same thing when coupled with a Fedora. About the interview, I think that while it looks cool and wouldn't hurt some interviews, I just wouldn't be daring enough to do it. It would make me more nervous than I already was.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Not-Bogart13 said:
I mean, showing up in any suit can actually ruin your chances for some jobs. It's easy to forget that Home Depot has an interview process. A suit is only going to be helpful if the job is for supervision or management.

I disagree. Dressing nicely shows respect for the interviewer. Maybe a suit is too far, but I don't care if you're interviewing to dig septic systems, you wear a collared shirt, slacks, and dress shoes, and preferably a necktie.

As for hats, bow ties, and other personal style choices, I think they're better suited for after the job begins and you've established yourself as a good employee. You walk a fine line between standing out from the herd and labeling yourself as a character. You want to stand out? Wear a navy or dark brown suit instead of charcoal to your interview. Keep your hat in your car.

Showing up wearing your individuality on your sleeve is putting the cart before the horse.

That being said, all bets are off if you're interviewing with one of these new age companies that require sandals and shorts in the office.

-Dave

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It Depends

It depends on whether you are being hired to as the fashion conscience of the company, your skills precede you or you are in dire straits and need the dough.

I had a meeting yesterday I decided to go sans my Borso. I was still overdressed. While I achieved my goals, and then some, my wife told me my appearance seemed to intimidate the those gentlemen whom I had to persuade.

I did not wear my hat because it would have detracted from my message.

When I perform I wear my Como, it enhances my message.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
As for a hat, specifically, I have been on enough failed interviews (for all different types of jobs and companies) to say that "blending in" gets you nowhere faster than you'd believe. I have never gotten a single job (or even a second interview) going the conservative standard route. When I was younger, I wore black pants with a blazer that wasn't black, and a bold tie (but never ever ever red). Never a white shirt, either. I got those jobs.

Excellent point. It very much depends on the job, but you want *something* that will help individualize you a little - in a good way. The key is "a little". (Of course, I'm unemployed right now...so take with a grain of salt! lol)

I say wear the fedora, but take it off inside, along with your overcoat if you have one. They may not even see the hat on you, or perhaps only on your way out. But you'll still be "the guy with hat."

Totally depends on the job, and how willing you are to risk blowing the whole interview if the hiring manager doesn't like the hat. But if you want to, this is the best way to do it.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
What is dapper on you in an event setting (dinner, movie, out and about around town, etc.) and sets you apart from the mainstream, can appear costumey or elitist in an interview. As an interviewee, you are an underling and you want to impress with your skills, not overwhelm with your style. Let your personality be the standout, not your clothes and accessories. When you land the job, then let your style emerge. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland