Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Jack Use & Turning Up the Sweatband

carldelo

One Too Many
... the hats weight would not be enough to alter the shape of the sweatband ...

This is correct. The weight of a hat may be enough to deform the felt of the crown or brim, but not to reform the shape of a sweatband. Also, the plastic hat rests appear to fit closely to a Stetson regular oval.

Hi All

Great information.. I always wipe the sweatband after each wear, however I have been storing my fedoras in a hat box CROWN DOWN.
First thing in the morning all fedoras will be stored brim down, THANK YOU DINERMAN.
TIA to all
Best regards
CCJ

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
I have been storing my fedoras in a hat box CROWN DOWN.

I also store my hats crown down in my hat boxes, because that is the only way that the hat boxes are designed to accommodate them.

My impression from the feedback in this thread was that sitting a hat on its crown as a bad practice referred to when the hat is outside of a hat box, because that is the situation I had in mind when I wrote the original post.

But your quoted post got me thinking that maybe my impression was incorrect.

In hopes to clarify this matter, I ask is sitting a hat on its crown okay if the hat is in its hat box?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That's fine.
When it's in a hat box, it's not resting on the crown, the topside of the brim is resting on the retaining ring.

That's fine.
When it's in a hat box, it's not resting on the crown, the topside of the brim is resting on the retaining ring.

Hi

The retaining ring is missing on some of the boxes. One of my projects this week is to make my own retaining rings for said boxes.
Thank you again Dinerman.
Best regards
CCJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24