Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LorenWho

New in Town
The only reason the hole size would matter is if you are using equipment that it would need to fit such as spinners, crown irons, sanders, etc. If you are doing everything by hand it doesn't make a difference. It's also easy enough to drill out a hole to make it larger if it needs to be.
I would like to stretch on a stand (a pipe or rod? Not sure what it is called)

LorenWho

New in Town
I have refurbished all my vintage blocks. Filled the cracks & spidering with a good quality wood filler and then coating. They are now good for another generation of hat makers.
Yes, it looks like there is filler on one of these. Makes sense. Thanks

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Here is my attempt to patch some moth holes (some that went all the way through the felt) on a 3X Beaver Resistol Western. I cut a full inch off the brim and this removed most of the moth damage. The crown had a handful of holes that I attempted to patch with plugs from the trimmed piece. As you can see, results were marginal. Any tips to improve the results?

IMG_5861.jpeg
IMG_9420.jpeg
IMG_9424.jpeg
IMG_9511.jpeg

On this next one I patched the hole with an oversized plug. Not sure that helped.

IMG_5864.jpeg
IMG_9427.jpeg
IMG_9428.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

The resulting hat looks okay though and will make a nice beater.

IMG_9509.jpeg

Last edited:
The lighter colour the felt the more difficult it is. I have never been able to completely hide moth nibbles. Dark felts it can be done but on mid to light then less satisfactory results. If the nibble is all the way through I plug it. If it is a divot I fill and that is usually less visible than if I enlarge the hole by enlarging then plugging it. PS my apologies as I screwed up and forgot to post the ribbon. I have to go to the post office on Tuesday will post then.
Here is my attempt to patch some moth holes (some that went all the way through the felt) on a 3X Beaver Resistol Western. I cut a full inch off the brim and this removed most of the moth damage. The crown had a handful of holes that I attempted to patch with plugs from the trimmed piece. As you can see, results were marginal at best. Any tips to improve the results?

View attachment 600074 View attachment 600075 View attachment 600077 View attachment 600078

On this next one I patched the hole with an oversized plug. Not sure that helped.

View attachment 600079 View attachment 600080 View attachment 600081 View attachment 600083

The resulting hat looks okay though and will make a nice beater.

View attachment 600084

wsmontana

A-List Customer
The lighter colour the felt the more difficult it is. I have never been able to completely hide moth nibbles. Dark felts it can be done but on mid to light then less satisfactory results. If the nibble is all the way through I plug it. If it is a divot I fill and that is usually less visible than if I enlarge the hole by enlarging then plugging it. PS my apologies as I screwed up and forgot to post the ribbon. I have to go to the post office on Tuesday will post then.
I’ve tried to fill divots but all the glues I tried will dry dark and make the patch seem worse than just leaving the bite as is (especially on lighter felt as you say).

Have you ever tried to patch a hole like a suture? That would solve the matching problem that comes with a plug (as in my case here) and it seems any glue could be mostly hidden.

No worries about the ribbon! I’m in no rush.

I have found the best glue is a spray craft glue from Michaels. I spray it on a piece of cardboard and put in very very small amount into the divot with a pointed toothpick. Then tamp in some felt fluff scraped from the inside of the hat. Tamp it in with the blunt end of the toothpick, a touch more glue, more tamping, etc, etc....
It is labouriously work but eventually the hole gets filled. If it is a through hole I fill it with a plug but have the plug thinner than the felt thickness so I can tamp in a bit of felt as a top coat. It is never perfect but I can get it so it cannot readily be seen unless pointed out.

I’ve tried to fill divots but all the glues I tried will dry dark and make the patch seem worse than just leaving the bite as is (especially on lighter felt as you say).
Have you ever tried to patch a hole like a suture? That would solve the matching problem that comes with a plug (as in my case here) and it seems any glue could be mostly hidden.

No worries about the ribbon! I’m in no rush.

townaj

New in Town
Finally finished one of my hats. First full build, done. Ended up going with a Gus/Montana peak crown on it. The block is so straight sided that anything else looked a little funny. It would push the point of the crown out over the brim break
Fairly happy with it other than the ribbon. I need to find a source for high quality trims and even out the color a little more with some oil or something on the next one
IMG_3010.jpeg
IMG_3011.jpeg

Love the soft lines and the swoop to the brim and crown. I have spoken to a fellow hatter that is buying ribbon out of Japan. It is 100% rayon, no cotton content as in vintage, but she says it is very workable. Sells in full spools only, not by the yard, but it is much cheaper than the vintage by the yard sellers. The sell the good woven edge for men's hats not the millinery Petersham (scalloped edge)
Finally finished one of my hats. First full build, done. Ended up going with a Gus/Montana peak crown on it. The block is so straight sided that anything else looked a little funny. It would push the point of the crown out over the brim break
Fairly happy with it other than the ribbon. I need to find a source for high quality trims and even out the color a little more with some oil or something on the next one View attachment 600121 View attachment 600122

LorenWho

New in Town
Love the soft lines and the swoop to the brim and crown. I have spoken to a fellow hatter that is buying ribbon out of Japan. It is 100% rayon, no cotton content as in vintage, but she says it is very workable. Sells in full spools only, not by the yard, but it is much cheaper than the vintage by the yard sellers. The sell the good woven edge for men's hats not the millinery Petersham (scalloped edge)

Lucky you! The selection of vintage ribbon is shrinking quickly

townaj

New in Town
Thank you! It was challenging getting a decent finish out of the rabbit but I'm fairly happy with it all things considered. I really was trying to go with a classic western look to match the Gus crown.

The 3D print guy here in Vancouver has his ETSY shop up and running. I have worked with him to help dial in his products. The products are great and his pricing is super. I have ordered his rounding jack ...not that I needed another one but the damn thing works so well and the price cannot be beat. If you need any hatting tools check out "WalshDesigns3D" on Etsy.
I have no financial interest in this and receive no kickbacks or discounts. Just trying to help out a guy that offers great products at super pricing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points