Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat on the Bed?

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:
I read here I believe that the "hat on the bed = bad luck" stemmed from Old West days. When cowboys were seriously ill what few belongings they had would be in close proximity to them. Their hats would sit on the bed with them bringing the belief that a hat on the bed forecasted death.

Well, we have the very same superstition here in Italy, so it has to be even older as, like many other superstitions, is common to different peoples and cultures.

The cat-crossing-the-road, for example, is as old as ancient Greece (I've read it in some greek author, can't remember who), as well as the "antidote" my grandma taught me (spit three times, or spit in your chest! :eek: )
the particular that the cat has to be black is apparently a more recent innovation.

The hat-on-the-bed, when they told me about, was somehow related with death, but I currently can't remember how exactly; have to ask older relatives! :)

Ciao!

Gusman

New in Town
Hi all,

Well in the Netherlands we have also our bit of superstition with hats and beds. In the Netherlands it's also said that it will bring bad luck if you leave hats (and coats) on the bed. I've red this has to do with the fact that in the past centuries a lot of people had problems with lice on their heads.

Leaving hats (and coats) on the bed could spread the lice rapidly to other hats (and coats) lying on the bed and/or the owner(s) of the bed. So from this point of view a very practical reason.........

Regards,

Gusman ;)

Elaina

One Too Many
For the record, black cats is bad luck in the US. Apparently, in the UK and Japan it's a white cat that is bad luck. Apparently, I'm not superstitious enough, most of my cats have been, and is, solid black.

I've head the bad luck with hats on a bed came from the time people had lice, and it was unlucky to get your bed full of them, and to place it on a bed was to invite the luck to spill out, or become lazy for you (sleeping). Superstitions change from region to region, as well.

Of course, I wear a hamsa all the time to ward the evil eye off, so [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider