Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat placement

S

Samsa

I hesitate to post this as a new thread, because it's probably been addressed here before, but for the life of me can't find the thread.

Anyway, I was curious if there's one proper way to wear a hat. I don't mean tilting it, but as far as where the sweat band fits on your head. There seem to be two extremes: the first exemplified by Kevin Costner in "The Untouchables," where it was worn so far back on his head that you could see his hair poking out, and on the other side, some people wear their hats so that the sweat band is just above their eyebrows. I tend to wear mine just below the hairline, and this works well, especially with any hat that has a substantial brim, but imagine I could get away with wearing a 7 5/8 if I chose to wear it above the brow.

So, is one way more correct than the other?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You'd occasionally see in the movies hats so far back on fellas heads that quite a bit of hair showed under the front of the sweat. You generally saw that on scruffy types, like press photographers. lol

Hairline? What hairline? lol

Hey, a related question: I get a little irritation on my forehead from the leather sweatband and I've thought of using some talc. Has anybody tried that?

Mulceber

Practically Family
well it could be an allergic reaction to the felt, or it could be that the hat is too loose and the sweat band is moving all around your brow, and in the process rubbing against the skin and irritating it. I suppose it could also be that it's so tight that it's pressing in on your skin. In any of those situations, I'd reccomend getting a new sweat band, whether it be smaller, bigger, or made out of a different leather altogether. -Mulceber

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
Usually, the way I wear my hat depends on the occasion, or how I'm feeling at the moment. When I go to church I usually wear my hat straight on. When I go out to an event, a play, a date, going out with friends, etc., I sometimes wear it at a slant, a more "swanky" kind of look. Then, when maybe playing a card game, or having a leisurly time I wear my hat back on my head, revealing my forehead to the open. It all depends on your attitude toward the situation or time that your wearing the hat, and how you feel you want to wear the hat at that momoent.

J.J.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Just one rule

I belive that there is only one rule, the hat has to fit in your head in the way that your ears never touch the brim and at least one finger above your eyebrows.

Fortino37

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Looks verses comfort

I think a hat looks better on me when it is further down on my brow (no front hair showing). However, it feels more comfortable further back.

Also, I find that the weather changes how I wear a hat. The warmer the weather, the further back I wear a hat because I don't like to sweat it up from the sweat on my forehead. Conversely, the colder it gets, the more I pull it forward to protect as much as my face as possible. Ditto with the wind. If it's windy, I'll pull it forward so it's more aerodynamic and hopefully a gust won't take it off.

Lastly, the width and angle of the brim effects the position of the hat when driving (those darn headrests!!). When I find myself distracted with the brim hitting the headrest, the hat comes off. :rage:

I haven't ventured into positioning the hats at different side angles yet. There's a whole new world for me to experiment with!

Twitch

I find there is no one position to wear a hat all day. You can't. Mine will go from way down in front seemingly just above the eyebrows to popped way back on my head.:fedora:

carebear

I find myself wearing it forward outside due to years of Marine cover standards (two fingers above the nose). Also it gives shade and wind/rain protection. When I walk into a building I seem to have started unconsciously pushing it back a bit, exposing my forehead.

I think it's both for comfort (inside is hotter) and to open up my field of view in the up-ular direction (for shelves of books and signs and things).

Plus it adds to my boyish earnestness. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff