Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Ribbons

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Hi. Did you attach the leather band in some way? Glue, stitch, etc? I ask because I have a nice horse hair hat band I want to use to replace the leather one on my Akubra Banjo Paterson.

Neither. Just friction. The leather band I bought was an adjustable loop. I slipped it over the crown into place and pulled it as tight as I could. Then I slid the leather band off again, made it a little tighter again and then gently forced it back on.

After about 10 minutes of wear it formed to the hat/ my head. I don't think it's going anywhere.

I got the idea from a video tip I saw once. I'll try to find it again and post it here.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
In my experience, about the only decent-looking readily swappable hat band is what is commonly called a "puggaree." They are typically pleated, fasten with hooks and are frequently seen on straw hats.

I have seen (here, mostly) attempts at a workable ribbon band that slipped on and off, sans stitching. I've yet to see one I thought looked right.
I have a number of pugs that I can put on hats that have no ribbon, and I frequently change them out for a different look, depending on what I plan to wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic