Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat shopping in Malaga

Huertecilla

Banned
Went down to the coast yesterday on a hat shopping date: Combining a date with a Malagena lady with looking at gents hats.

I have switched on my 20th century desk top to load photos we took. While that is starting itself up, I can enter some proza on the laptop.

We found three shops. One with cheap stuff not worth mentioning so I will not, the other high end public and the third an aspirational middle class store.

The high end public one was a joke. The store was like a mausoleum and the staff reluctant to let us take anything in hand. Understandably so because turning a hat over to look at the interior revealed poor workmanship. More accurately put NO workmanship, just nicely done mass production for silly money.
All brand were spanish names and the level of finish/manufacture not like anything I see over here. The best felt was on par with a 90 Euro Wegener I have at home but the cotton sweatband was single row parallel stitched with none too fine stitches: my Wegener is better.
No way I was allowed to try on any of the hats and that was no issue as I had no desire to.

The last store had quite a large selection of hats falling in roughly three categories: Panamas, general light summer and felt hats.
The staff was discreetly available for help and we were allowed to touch, ry on anything we wanted. As my 57 cm. head proved to be present in all off the hats we had great fun.

The Panamas ranged from El Cheapo Asian to Cuenca's finest. The offering was in bleached to caramel brown with a wide choice of bands.
They has some caps too.
The Cuenca's finest was quite nice with tight, straight, 'extrafino' weave ending in a straight very nice looking double 'welted' elegant edge. The pinch was reinforced on the inside with a thin shape of silicon. Priced at just over 50 Euros I thought it good vfm.
I hope the photo of trying that one pans out.

The summer hats ranged from course straw, through VERY fine open weave nylon to cotton/canvass from caps through nondescript to fedora and trilby.
Nicely made cheap hats. The nest was a step up from entry level nylon weave trilby by Mayser.
The one in dark grey with a discreetly striped band I would have liked to buy for salsa nights but it looked HORRIBLE on my head.

Now for the main course: the felt ones.
Again several shapes and several qualities. The cheapest were about on par with the average of the posh shop and the best were mid range Mayser and equivalent local made.
I was amazed by the differences in felt. From light floppy looking/feeling just lke the thin felt filler I have put in saddle underlayers to hard stiff non resilliant that deformed when bent.
The biggest turn off were the edges. Most were folded in and stitched down, looking crude.
I am uploading a photo of the inside of the best one. Including a head shot.

All in all the trip was a fun success.
I was surprised about the wide difference in felt even at such a narrow band at the lower end. The stuff I buy for horse tack is my reference and I was not prepared for the abissmally poor quality of felt available. And I thought the horse stuff was rough but tough... I am really working that over in my mind.

What did I take from it?
Most importantly that I am out of my depth about felt. The felt one I have is appearantly not such cheap low end material at all.
Furthermore that Panama does not suit me nor does unfortunately anything else strawlike woven. The latter was a bit of a downer as I really wanted a dark ' straw' trilby for salsa dancing.
On the positive side is that the Fedora style suits me. My company was quite taken with the look*. Also that lighter colors and brown suit me and that dark grey, black do not agree with me at all.

Meanwhile it was closing time even here so we went enjoying Malaga's social lfe.

* She has an open face which shows what she thinks and it was ever so informative to watch for her primary non verbal response.

Right. The pc is ready and it will take some nifty workaround outdated software versions to get the fotos onto an upload site. Where is the coffee?

Last edited:

Huertecilla

Banned
She no like ni :(

goat+in+hat.jpg

Foto550-KZWOHCDD.jpg

She do like si! :eusa_clap

goat+in+hat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Huertecilla

Banned
Receive a return call on to one to a workshop in Malaga which I put out friday.
They are not interested in a visit by me as their minimum sale is 50 pieces. Although this means that their output will be thirteen a dozen type of hats, I would still like to take a peek.
The call came when I had my boots on to go feed the horses, so my son took it. That gives me cause to call him back prepared with a good story...

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Huertecilla,

Welcome to the boards! Both hats look great on you! Did your lady friend wear a hat on this shopping expedition as well? I collect vintage hats, do you regularly see vintage hats for women in your neck of the woods when you are visiting these shops? I am talking from the eras of the 20s, 30s, and 40s.

Huertecilla

Banned
Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, she wore a wonderfull hat. She was quite pleased to finally have an occasion to. This morning she wrote that she had had a great time. Next time I will take a shot of her hat without invading her privacy.

No, no interesting old hats here. You have to understand that Spain has had basically no middle class from the 20ties till the 90ties and it has crashed again in 2005.
The only sort of vintage ladies hats for sale are on car boot sales organised by british.
The situation is slightly different in Basque county and Cataluña where there are thrift shops too. It is however not comparable with France, Germany or the UK.

There ís a new phenomena though. Because the crisis is hitting the middle class HARD, it is also effecting old money on the bottom fringes of the untouchables. There are appearing sales of their old stuff. these are REALLY high end products exclusively made for nobility. Like one off designs for a attendance to a famous marriage etc. and never worn since.
The problem is that these ´markets´ are only public in name as they are not publicly announced and the buyers thus tend to be basically the same circle but larger.
The last one I got wind of was in Sevilla and visited by the sister of the King and several other such ´Greats of Spain´. The stuff was of that level and went for peanuts. I was rather pissed off I only found out the day after...
I have not, yet (I hope), found an entrance into the info train.

Huertecilla

Banned
ps CaramelSmoothie, you have stimulated a thought: There is a lady in this region who has the nickname ´Lady´ xxx because she was a bit of a celebrity but more importantly because she réally has class. She is a ´hat woman´ and het smartly dressed husband too. I will ask them as they are bound to have some nice ones collected of the years. Would be nice to see, learn, take photos and share.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Thank you Huertcilla,

I shamefully admit that it is only in recent years that I have taken an interest in world politics and history. Growing up in America I think many people are so comfortable with the relatively high standard of living that we are sort of insulated from the world's problems. Although I think this will change as globalization and its effects on our middle class forces people like me to look outward and take notice of how the political and economic landscapes in other nations can hit hard at home...

That would be great if you could get in touch with that woman. She sounds interesting. Since I never encounter people offline who are hat enthusiasts I am always looking to connect with other women online who share my interests in hats.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
And to add, if you find a backdoor to the "info train", swing that information my way so that I can get some of those hats for peanuts as well.:cool:

I read your other thread about the difference in quality in modern vs. vintage hats. I didn't respond since I knew you were discussing hats for men. I only own a handful of new hats, one of which was made with vintage materials. I like vintage hats because I know that more likely than not I am getting the last hat of its kind. That gives me a thrill for two reasons: 1. I know that I will be the only woman walking around with said hat. 2. I feel as though I am "rescuing" a piece of history. A modern hat would never give me this feeling. I am not an expert on quality, I just buy what I like, but I do feel that my vintage hats were very well constructed. I know nothing about modern millinery so I have nothing to compare it to. I don't go hat shopping only vintage hat shopping.

Huertecilla

Banned
Encantada 'CaramelSmoothie'! I had not realised that you are a female of our species. (takes his hat off in a wide sway and a half bow)

I have meanwhile dropped a contact request in the virtual world to the local lady and her man.

If/when I timely get wind of a high end 'garage clearance' I would be honoured to enjoy your company and translate for you. (assuming you don't speak spanish)

Concerning the historic thing I totally get you. The rescuing bit presents a problem though as my life is very much hands on and the climate here is hard on most materials. I have no end of a challenge to keep my saddles ok p.e.
Wearing a vintage hat thus jars a bit with my respect for the historic aspect as I am likely to wear the, bluntly put, crap out of it. On the other hand, good quality vintage felt was MEANT for that use and also hats for men are mass/serial production unlike the pretty much unique designers' pieces you can compliment by wearing them.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Yes, it seems as I am one of a handful of women posting in the Hats section on the regular:cool:. I'm not really into the "vintage lifestyle" that is so frequently discussed on the boards catering to women. I dress and live modern but hats are my thing. I get compliments everywhere I go when I wear my hats, it attracts quite a bit of attention:D

Good looking out for following up with that stylish woman. I also look forward to you posting more pics of your travels through the hat shops in your country. Glad you joined the board and I am looking forward to more of your postings!

Huertecilla

Banned
Yes, it seems as I am one of a handful of women posting in the Hats section on the regular:cool:. I'm not really into the "vintage lifestyle" that is so frequently discussed on the boards catering to women. I dress and live modern but hats are my thing. I get compliments everywhere I go when I wear my hats, it attracts quite a bit of attention:D

Good looking out for following up with that stylish woman. I also look forward to you posting more pics of your travels through the hat shops in your country. Glad you joined the board and I am looking forward to more of your postings!

Thanks for the friendly wellcome and compliment.
Working on the Granada visit.

Yes I get your observation about life style. I never got that. It is with cats and/or dogs that some try to define you as cat- or a dog person. Well, I like7have both and horses too.
Ditto say a classic AlfaRomeo or - Laverda. That doesn´t mean I crave for an italian life style!!! I like vintage BMWs too, both cars ánd bikes! AND the highly modern Toyota 86 is a dream car for me.

Huertecilla

Banned
@Caramela; the stylish lady does have some hats but is not really interested; they are just unimportant accessories to her. Her husband ditto; he buys his ´Panamas´ from ambulant pedlers on the beach...

Have meanwhile become acquainted with a very interesting lady who seems to have a great passion about hats although she does not wear them. Will keep you posted.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
@Caramela; the stylish lady does have some hats but is not really interested; they are just unimportant accessories to her. Her husband ditto; he buys his ´Panamas´ from ambulant pedlers on the beach...

Have meanwhile become acquainted with a very interesting lady who seems to have a great passion about hats although she does not wear them. Will keep you posted.

Thanks Huertecilla. It seems like many women will agree that hats are stylish but don't really put in the effort of actually going out and getting one, especially vintage ones. I guess it takes a mindset of going against the herd in terms of fashion and doing something different. A lot of people don't have the guts to do that. That's okay, more hats for me!

Huertecilla

Banned
Thanks Huertecilla. It seems like many women will agree that hats are stylish but don't really put in the effort of actually going out and getting one, especially vintage ones. I guess it takes a mindset of going against the herd in terms of fashion and doing something different. A lot of people don't have the guts to do that. That's okay, more hats for me!

Appearantly most women are too shy to put a hat on and if they are not then it is most times just another accessory and as such not worth their while to dig into. Indeed their loss your gain :eusa_clap
´My´ wife (deceased) looked gréat with the right hat and she did get the heritage/quality thing but she totally underappreciated how great she looked so it was a rare and thus all the more much appreciated treat if she did put one of her gems on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner