Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hat shops in DC

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'm traveling to DC on friday and was wondering if anybody knows of any hat shops worth visiting over there. Thanks.
Aureliano-

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
No hat shops in DC

When I came to Washington nearly 40 years ago, there were a number of hat stores in the neighborhood bounded by 12th Street on the east and 15th Street on the west and Pennsylvania Avenue on the south and New York Avenue on the north. But the crash in hat wearing that started in the sixties combined with urban redevelopment has exterminated all of them.

I buy mine over the internet. Don't waste a lot of time looking for hat retailers in Washington.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
That is sad. Here in New York we still have a few left. I always enjoy, when I travel, to hunt for hat shops. Too bad there aren't any in DC. Thanks for the tip.
Aureliano-

Neil

A-List Customer
Nope. . .

I live in DC, and I can tell you the answer is don't waste your time.
There is one guy who runs a shop in the Georgetown Mall, but watch it. The first time I went in there, he tried to sell me a Selentino he claimed was pure beaver. He wanted $300.
I told him I'd think about it, went home, and did some internet research. The hat is not beaver at all, and was available for $130 online.
Caveat emptor. The name of the store is the Hattery.

Neil

A-List Customer
Well. . .

That is not for me to say.
He may actually have been ignorant about the composition of the felt in that hat, and he certainly has a right to be greedy.
But I will never set foot in that store again, and I tell everyone the story who asks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters