Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hat sizing frustration

Justdog

Practically Family
Hat size

Blackthorn said:
I never expected to see such differences in hat sizes, even between two colors of the same manufacturer and same model. A couple of months ago I ordered a Stetson Downs in the color of Cordova. I usually wear a 7 1/4, and the S. Downs fitted perfectly. I liked the fit so much that I ordered another one just like it but in Caribou, and of course in the same size. When the Caribou arrived, it was too small to fit on my head. I was in consternation, double checking the size tag on both hats. Finally I contacted the seller (Hats Plus) and they graciously allowed me to send it back for another of the same model, one size larger. The 7 3/8 arrived today, and it fits, but...just barely. It's a tighter fit than the Cordova one that's a 7 1/4. And then there's the Fed IV that I had to get in size 60 (7 1/2). I'm paranoid about ordering any more hats because, where do you start in picking a size?

This is exactly why I buy vintage Stetsons. I have 10 and they all fit perfectly. I bought 2 hats new online that were absurdly ill fitting. Unless I can go and try a new hat on I will not buy another new hat. This of course is not including a custom with conformer measurements.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Justdog said:
This is exactly why I buy vintage Stetsons. I have 10 and they all fit perfectly. I bought 2 hats new online that were absurdly ill fitting. Unless I can go and try a new hat on I will not buy another new hat. This of course is not including a custom with conformer measurements.

Yep, they ain't what they used to be. I won't buy another new Stetson.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Justdog said:
The hat in your Avatar looks great though:eusa_clap
Thank you, Justdog! That's my new Akubra Fed IV. Isn't it interesting that I like the cheaper hat so much more then the expensive ones? And it fits as advertised. Now I need a gray one....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart