Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat style

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I've heard everyone say that Akubras are very durable. I'm just wondering then, if most of them are rabbit hair or rabbit/hare blend why are Stetsons that are made of rabbit considered so inferior to those that are beaver? It seems that any Stetsons that are mainly rabbit hair everyone is told to avoid. Am I missing something? Are Stetson's rabbit felt inferior to Akubra's rabbit?
I think it has more to do with the way they are finished. My two alubras arent overly stiff but you can tell they are meant to be rugged. An outdoor akubra will survive the apocolypse

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I've heard everyone say that Akubras are very durable. I'm just wondering then, if most of them are rabbit hair or rabbit/hare blend why are Stetsons that are made of rabbit considered so inferior to those that are beaver? It seems that any Stetsons that are mainly rabbit hair everyone is told to avoid. Am I missing something? Are Stetson's rabbit felt inferior to Akubra's rabbit?
Lol. Stetsons have had quality issues that some claim are resolved... for $225-$300 they better be.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All of the above, as usual, is first-rate advice. Bob's comment above, though, hits the matter on the head. Every time I see an off-the-shelf hat selling in the neighborhood of $200.00 or so I start thinking custom. Best thing you could do is find a style that suits you by visiting a brick-and mortar and trying on several styles: you'll know the right one when you see it in the mirror. Then you might want to take a look at some of the styles at a site like Northwest Hats. I believe Mike still sells his rabbit fur felts beginning at $175. There's nothing like a custom job.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
All of the above, as usual, is first-rate advice. Bob's comment above, though, hits the matter on the head. Every time I see an off-the-shelf hat selling in the neighborhood of $200.00 or so I start thinking custom. Best thing you could do is find a style that suits you by visiting a brick-and mortar and trying on several styles: you'll know the right one when you see it in the mirror. Then you might want to take a look at some of the styles at a site like Northwest Hats. I believe Mike still sells his rabbit fur felts beginning at $175. There's nothing like a custom job.
Just ordered a custom Winchester Beaver from Northwest Hats today. Underwelt brim. $250. A factory made Stetson Stetsonian in rabbit for about the same price of $250. "Whats on your head...?"

facade

A-List Customer
Unless you are a brand loyalist, custom is the obvious choice when you are talking about spending $200 - $300 on a hat. Assuming of course the buyer doesn't mind waiting 2 to 3 months to get the hat. That there is the rub. Who has that kind of patience when they are starting out?

Instead, for the same money, I recommend buying 3 - 4 inexpensive vintage hats (eBay, shopgoodwill etc.). This way you get more for your money and a variety to help you develop your tastes. Also, if it turns out that fedora wearing isn't for you, the hats can be resold without the large depreciation that comes with any new/custom hat.

Once you are sure the fever is incurable and have a better understanding of your tastes and of hats in general, then you can start with the custom hats.

Last edited:
Nobody really knows the content of HatCo Stetson hat bodies. They keep that a highly guarded secret. You don't know beaver content so it hard to judge just what is beaver/rabbit blend or pure rabbit fur felt with HatCo Stetsons. Now Akubra & Borsalino have done mostly rabbit fur felt & get great results.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
You can also go custom. You may spend a few more bucks to have one made but you'd at least get what you're looking for. Custom hatters also offer a wider variety of felts from rabbit, to beaver, and nutria....and better quality workmanship, materials and finishes than the manufacturers offer. If I had the money that would be my route. Heck, if I had the tools I'd make my own!

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
The only thing that I will say about custom is that for a new guy it can be a mistake. When I was new to hats I went through a hatter that I ended up not liking the finished product. I was out for two hats because the depreciation is large on custom hats because of the fit and the design. If you buy a modern Stetson you can get close to your money back or at least sell the thing on here or ebay for a respectable price

Max

New in Town
I've gone with custom hats a couple of times because I have such a large noggin. It's hard to find a great looking hat in size 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy