Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatless, but hopeful.

donf

New in Town
I am one of the newbies here and am enjoying the sidelines per se. I dont own a Fedora but would like to one day. So.....for my first, and maybe only hat, what would you kind people reccomend? I do like the shorter brims I think...

BigSho

Vendor
If it is going to be a first and only I personally would go for the gusto and get myself an Art Fawcett custom. Great guy and he will make sure you get what you want, and in a fine quality hat to boot.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

epic610

One of the Regulars
Amen, Matt Deckard...

it can sometime take a few hats before you really know what you want and how comfortable you feel wearing it. 25 hats down and i still haven't decided. best advice is to buy something you think you may like for a reasonable price and live with it for awhile.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Since you don't own a hat yet I think style is more important than who to buy from. You'll need to consider color, crown height and brim width. Each of these things can make or break your future love of hats.

Welcome aboard.

Aaron

donf

New in Town
Thanks

I do appreciate all the great advice. To answer a few of your questions...I am looking to spend about 150.00-200.00 My hat size is 71/4 I think. I saw some Bailey hats????? Pretty overwhelming for a guy fresh off the turnip truck. Thanks for the internet sites, I will check those out as well. Im thinking short brim, tan color....yada, yada, yada.... I will keep you all posted on my progress. Again, Thank you all.

Baggers

Practically Family
Welcome to the Lounge, Donf. You've tapped into the Mother Lode of information.

The others have made some excellent suggestions, but judging from the range of actors, celebrities and other "glitterati" that seem to be wearing hats these days, it ought to be fairly easy to find a store nearby where you can actually go in and try several on to see how they look and to get the correct fit.

Even so, if you've never worn a full brimmed hat before it may take a bit of getting used to. But that's okay. Not everyone can slap a lid on their head and immediately feel comfortable when they look in the mirror for the first time. Go ahead and try several styles to see what works best for you before dropping the big coin.

It might take a little trial and error before you find the style that suits you, but don't worry. This can be an evolution, an adventure with which you can have some fun. Just don't forget to come back here to the Lounge to ask more questions and to share your eventual purchase with us.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24