Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats after film

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
This is what happens to good vintage on set.

mvboardwalk9.jpg

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Yuck.
so was it a head-shot scene or just sloppy costume dept. care
I have seen what can happen if you loan out your stuff to film production..
poor hat.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
I saw a picture; here at the lounge I believe, from back in the day at Baltimore's Memorial Stadium....It appears every year at a baseball game, the anouncer would declare when it was time to switch from winter hats to summer hats, and everyone would put their fist through the crown of their hat and throw them onto the field...
That photo hurt...seeing thousands of great hats being distroyed for no good reason...Hope if they put that in a movie they will use special effects and not distroy thousands of vintage lids....We need to start a SPCCH...:).Society to Prevent Cruelty to Classic Headwear....:) I mean a little cruelty is exceptable as it gives a hat character....So a designated board would have to determine where exceptable cruelty ends...and malicious behavour begins...

Last edited:

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I promise to not whine if I see a TV show or theater film where they substitute a wool hat just before the guy gets beat/assaulted/murdered anywhere around the head.
I've learned to keep quiet when they throw in a many years older but similar car or truck just before a crash or bombing.
I also don't complain when they substitute a newer and even not so similar car or truck when a crash or bombing involves a classic auto.

Edward

Bartender
Ouch! :eeek: Although I assume that this is artificial blood that hat seems to be ruined. Pity...

Depends on the blood product. I'm a veteran of numerous zombie outings over the last few years, and in that course of time have gone through a lot of fake blood, much of it pro screen stuff. Washes right out of clothes a charm, no bother at all. If the hat can be cleaned, there's every chance it'll be good as new. Not that I'd advocate using a decent vintage hat for that, but... [huh]

I saw a picture; here at the lounge I believe, from back in the day at Baltimore's Memorial Stadium....It appears every year at a baseball game, the anouncer would declare when it was time to switch from winter hats to summer hats, and everyone would put their fist through the crown of their hat and throw them onto the field...
That photo hurt...seeing thousands of great hats being distroyed for no good reason...Hope if they put that in a movie they will use special effects and not distroy thousands of vintage lids....We need to start a SPCCH...:).Society to Prevent Cruelty to Classic Headwear....:) I mean a little cruelty is exceptable as it gives a hat character....So a designated board would have to determine where exceptable cruelty ends...and malicious behavour begins...

I've only ever heard of that being done with straw hats, boaters in particular (the solid form allowing for the top to be easily punched out). Supposedly back in the day they were cheap enough as to be disposable at the end of the season. Given how delicate a boater can be, of course, there's every chance a lot of them already had the top half off from being sat on...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I hate seeing vintage stuff being destroyed, especially deliberately.

As for the mass punching out and destruction of hats, that's the equivalent of destroying something today that's contemporary - no one gives it a second thought or thinks, 'Gee, I wonder if someone will find this valuable in (50) years.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner