Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and civility

wednesday

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:
Unfortunately, as with all such things, the word Chav has now become a badge of honour. This website is populated by the chavs themselves, who think they are excellent. This band of freal youth is taking over.:eek:

bk
That's funny!
I thought it was an elaborate put on.

I have nothing against baseball caps or hooded sweatshirts, although I draw the line at trousers worn so low that they leave several inches of boxer shorts showing. To my eyes, fedoras don't look the least bit affected. Indeed, I rarely leave home without one, no matter what the day holds. Old, banged-up ones for the rough and tumble; cleaner, dressier ones for business and nightlife. But then, I've been wearing nice lids since my late teens, and that's been longer ago than I care to recall. Whatever self-consciousness I may have once felt has long since worn off.
On top of a bookcase is a photo of my grandfather, taken when he was about the age I am now. In the picture he's leaning against the right quarter-panel of his then late-model Mercury. There's snow on the ground. In his right hand he holds a cigarette; his left hand is propped against his hip. He's wearing gray trousers, a pale-blue shirt, a brown, waist-length leather jacket, and a gray fedora tilted back on his head. More than one person has, on seeing the photo, asked me when I owned the old Merc. It gladdens my heart to be mistaken for a fellow as fine as my grandpa. He wasn't a gentleman of the sort that indulged in the finer things, but he certainly had style. He cussed, he drank, he blasphemed. He spent most of his working life on the kill line at a meat-packing plant, and his idea of the ideal vacation involved hooking up the tent trailer and spending a week or two fishing. So, the old guy may never have been a candidate for sainthood, but if Heaven doesn't have him, I want nothing to do with the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner