Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

The Shoe

One Too Many
Oh, yeah, our hats! Same as Day one.
Etsuko wore her Akubra Leisure Time.
5079B197-6FF7-4A88-8FE0-05B7D22F8379.jpeg

You can just see my Hornskov Mogul in the background.
All of those bottles behind Etsuko are what he called ”bottler’s” whiskies. As I understand it (correct me if I’m wrong), people or organisations who buy a cask and bottle it at full strength. They then put their label on it. Usually, they also have the distillery name, but, as with Etsuko’s final choice, sometimes the distiller will offer their barrel at a cheaper price on the condition that the distillery name is kept secret.
The whiskies straight out the front are regular whiskies (though some of them were also relatively rare.
743F2300-0283-44FD-B2B3-AE52D9F5BE0E.jpeg

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Oh, yeah, our hats! Same as Day one.
Etsuko wore her Akubra Leisure Time.
View attachment 418140
You can just see my Hornskov Mogul in the background.

You describe a wonderful celebration. Sharing the exquisite selection, guided by an experienced barman and sharing it with your wife sounds glorious.

After reading your post this morning, just about to start some work efforts, my memory taste buds are active. I can taste the Kilchomen in my mouth.

Thanks for sharing your adventures. Cheers, Eric -

Their selection of whiskies was extensive - the best I’ve seen - and the owner/bartender’s knowledge was impressive.
What a great looking old style bar! Hard to find in the US nowadays. I would have enjoyed the knowledgeable conversation with all as well. And all the selections to sample.
A great selection of Ardbergs, for example
Ardbeg has a new bottle size.

IMG_9702.JPG

Just kiddin'.
All of those bottles behind Etsuko are what he called ”bottler’s” whiskies. As I understand it (correct me if I’m wrong), people or organisations who buy a cask and bottle it at full strength. They then put their label on it. Usually, they also have the distillery name,
Independent bottlers such as Gordon & MacPheil, Signatory, Hart Bros, Berry Bros, First Editions, & others will sample & buy casks from the major distillers & drink companies, & do their own bottling. They are usually casks that maybe don't fit the brands profile. I would suspect also that casks are sometimes sold for cash flow. The independent bottlings are sold under the independent bottlers name & identified as to the source distillery. Gordon & MacPheil, Signatory & Signatory Vintage, & Hart Bros bottlings are usually quite good.

Independent bottlings & bottlers are different from liquor store barrel selects. ACE Spirits among others offer a good selection of independent bottlings.

The Shoe

One Too Many
What a great looking old style bar! Hard to find in the US nowadays. I would have enjoyed the knowledgeable conversation with all as well. And all the selections to sample.

Ardbeg has a new bottle size.

View attachment 418229

Just kiddin'.

Independent bottlers such as Gordon & MacPheil, Signatory, Hart Bros, Berry Bros, First Editions, & others will sample & buy casks from the major distillers & drink companies, & do their own bottling. They are usually casks that maybe don't fit the brands profile. I would suspect also that casks are sometimes sold for cash flow. The independent bottlings are sold under the independent bottlers name & identified as to the source distillery. Gordon & MacPheil, Signatory & Signatory Vintage, & Hart Bros bottlings are usually quite good.

Independent bottlings & bottlers are different from liquor store barrel selects. ACE Spirits among others offer a good selection of independent bottlings.
The bar also had its own bottling of an Ardmore cask. We didn’t try that one.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
During my evening walkabout I have been sipping a Founders All Day IPA.

i-WJJ57WB-M.jpg

Moments ago I checked and the temp tonight is 30'f and the feel like temp is 20'f (-6'c). After a couple days of "spring-like" temps, tonight feels cold. It really is not cold. I came back inside and have opened a new bottle of whiskey. This is the first bottle of Ardbeg 10 that I have owned.

i-jfBPPM5-M.jpg

Ok, I needed to have picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10 much sooner. It is definitely a peated whiskey. Peat is used to dry the barley. It tastes smoke and a clove taste. I do like the clove taste in my food. The whiskey has a fresh taste coming after the smoke taste. Smoke, vanilla, lime and salt sea are the order of tastes I get tonight. It is not a bandaid or medicinal smoke, but a pleasant or aromatic smoke.

I prepared myself with a pipet and water at the ready. I did not add any water. The taste was pleasant and complex and tonight the water might have confused me. I will save that for another tasting.

My recent enjoyment of Ardbeg Wee Beastie makes me really appreciate the complexity of smell and taste of this whiskey. A real treat! It finishes in my mouth with a sweet and spicy taste. A fun whiskey tonight.

I anticipate more enjoyable tasting to come.

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:
Spent HH under a Resistol Plains & a few Modelo Especial's for a change of pace. This Resistol Plains has the early brown Melorol sweat with a red sweat bow & red liner, skinny ribbon.

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

Was given & enjoyed a left over sample of a fresh strawberry Margarita. Not normally my kind of thing, but it tasted so good...

IMG_4437.jpg

IMG_4438.jpg

"I had one more for desert."

IMG_4439.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Happy Walkabout time last night had me sipping a Dangerous Man Brewing Apiary Drop Triple Hazy IPA. Excellent offering from this local brewery. The fancy name comes from the addition of a small amount of local wildflower honey. The brewery does not hold back on its creative ideas. Excellent beers and some beers that are just an experience.

i-CW9FMhM-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:
A new variation on the Victory Monkey. This one… Berry Monkey a raspberry sour tripel. It packs all the big robust flavor of Golden Monkey but a more sour ale with added raspberry flavor.. still packing a 9.5%ABV. Excellent refreshing taste on a hot day.
B5A8CAA8-8CD7-4B5F-869E-EB4F16A6A217.jpeg
7EA3B707-99BA-4D3A-882A-AC5774EED528.jpeg

Enjoyed alongside Stetson Musketeer

EAF2D684-5487-4EA1-8E32-11319F6B7E40.jpeg
36E6D817-95E0-42DA-A035-A84BDC68C911.jpeg
8171E23B-F612-4FED-B6C2-2EA6C33C593A.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I finished an evening walkabout sipping a Surley Supreme (pilsner).

DSC02504-M.jpg

My wife came home and I am grilling a piece of catfish for a late dinner. We have opened the bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. After tasting this whiskey, the hardest or scariest part of this Ardbeg is pronouncing the name. I did google up the location of the loch of said name that Ardbeg gets its water from. I admit I went on-line to get this correct.

DSC02506-M.jpg

The nose, aromas, are separate but make a whole. The taste morphs from one to another with no one taste demanding more. It overall has a saltwater, smokey, pepper and at the end some cherry or raisin.

I did add some drops of water and it did absolutely change the mouth taste. With water I could discern some sweet fruit (orange peel). The water made the dram very easily drinkable. My wife and I agreed that it tamed the peat and was "better tonight."

A632E1D7-86FB-4156-8240-1BE6BB922212-M.jpg

I like this whiskey. A lot. Better than Ardbeg Ten or Wee Beastie? I do not have an opinion yet. More time and sipping opportunities are needed for a preference.

Cheers folks, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points