Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Looking forward to the report Jack! How did you get the 7 Leguas? Are you the other side of the state line?

My wife picked this up at Sam's Club. It tastes good to me and gives me a buzz (about as descriptive as my untrained palate and limited mental capacity can come up with). I finished some remodeling chores at the farm and am now day drinking.

22764470538_3cfb248cd9_o.jpg

Looking forward to the report Jack! How did you get the 7 Leguas? Are you the other side of the state line?

My wife picked this up at Sam's Club. It tastes good to me and gives me a buzz (about as descriptive as my untrained palate and limited mental capacity can come up with). I finished some remodeling chores at the farm and am now day drinking.

22764470538_3cfb248cd9_o.jpg
Woodford Reserve is pretty good bourbon...nothing wrong with that! Wish I was there with you.

There are certain liquors I can't get locally; they're just not carried probably due to limited availability. So 4-5 times a yr I order a mixed case from a couple of places that will ship. If I order a mixed case of 4 bottles the shipping amortizes out to be about what the state tax would be if it was available locally, maybe just a bit more. They ship in those styrofoam protectors like they ship wine in.

I really like that duck place mat or whatever it is, & the Libbey shot glass. Is that the one with the deer & the jumping bass?

I really like that duck place mat or whatever it is, & the Libbey shot glass. Is that the one with the deer & the jumping bass?

The ducks are a jigsaw puzzle from the thift store this morning and the glass has quail on the other side.

Can you PM me the place where you ordered the 7 Lequas from? I really want to try it. Maybe I should just head up there and try yours... :)

Chamuco,

After first pouring a couple of fingers into a snifter I got the aroma of cooked agave & the citrus that usually goes along with that. Below that I did get the faint aroma of some earth tones, probably what you are referring to from the reflective clay cooking process of the agave. I let it set in the snifter on the end table next to me for ~5 min or so & it didn't take long before the agave & citrus aroma made its way to me from the glass. No real discernible change in the aroma of the snifter after ~5 min; perhaps the earthiness might have been just a bit more obvious by then.

After drinking several fingers from the snifter the earthiness is very apparent & upfront, & reminds me of the flavor of pine nuts plus a sprig of fresh green mint; like my grandma used to grow right by the back steps. There is the taste of fresh ground black pepper but not as peppery as Souza 901. Not oily but a nice mouth feel with a slight taste of butter or toffee at times; no other sweets or citrus flavors that I detected up front. No medicinal alcohol taste at all.

I would say the finish & the aftertaste are the best parts but not nearly long enough. The agave & the fresh mint are most prevalent in the finish. Some mild black pepper is detectable & produces a very mild burn.

The aftertaste is definitely where the earth tone taste comes out & lingers. The taste of cooked agave is very prevalent. Once or twice I thought I detected a hint of chocolate and/or fresh oranges with the mint.

This after one session. How much of this would you agree or disagree with?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Laphroaig old fashioned? Interesting.
How was it?

Fantastic. The peat of the scotch with the orange bitters and a little other sweetness was really nice.

This is a fun thread.

Hurricane Jack, your posts are sweet.

I have a hard time with laphroiag neat, but there's a bar here that will smoke the glass over a cedar plank before serving lagavulin, and that's very good.

Joao, i avoid Jack whenever possible, single malt or otherwise, but lots of people like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic. The peat of the scotch with the orange bitters and a little other sweetness was really nice.

This is a fun thread.

Hurricane Jack, your posts are sweet.

I have a hard time with laphroiag neat, but there's a bar here that will smoke the glass over a cedar plank before serving lagavulin, and that's very good.

Joao, i avoid Jack whenever possible, single malt or otherwise, but lots of people like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the compliment! I enjoy all the little nuances of premium whiskies & tequilas consumed neat, so I don't often drink cocktails or mixed drinks. Because of the heavy peat Laphroiag is hard to pick up on all the little nuances of taste. Ardbeg is not bad, Lagavulin 16 is my favorite for peat smoke.

For my tastes Highland Speyside distilleries rule!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum