Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

The Shoe

One Too Many
Drinks in Osaka in my Panama.
A nice Argentine Malbec…
B6FE436D-2350-4313-8840-14CE9DEFD20F.jpeg

Side Eyes pale ale for Etsuko, and a Burst IPA for me. Both decent, but it was the pale ale that was bursting with more flavour.
3F90B476-7051-4CEE-9ADC-6C44122C59A7.jpeg

A consistent favourite, Ao-oni (Blue Demon) IPA.
42FABD1B-0D05-43FA-AF8E-AD005781F6B5.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Here is a collage from this past weekend.

0729E6D4-83BD-4BCA-9002-28525389573D-M.jpg

Bottom left (clockwise); Founders Porter, Surley Yummi Bear IPA, Peets Major Dickason's, Surley Supreme and Omni Time Machine IPA.

Yesterday evening I walked about and sipped a Surley IPA and then opened the bottle of Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve. This Speyside whisky is 40%ABV finished in rum casks. As you expect from this Glenlivet whisky it is smooth. A small dram and I do taste the Glenlivet smooth apple and tea. On top of the familiar tastes is the taste of rum (a gentle sweet). Easy and smooth. The taste does not linger in the mouth and does not finish sweet (my preference).

58A948BD-5DB1-403E-9EA5-EFF4B6631A39-M.jpg

The reviews I have read were mostly not helpful. This whisky is smooth and mild while its label prepares you for the tastes-Caribbean Reserve. I imagine this whisky to be enjoyable while on the deck/dock whisky while serving fresh fruit and a charcuterie plate.

Cheers, Eric -

BigHat

New in Town
Enjoying the sun and a strawberry and lime Saison, wearing a Shantung straw. Cheers.

Attachments

• E43E2021-4517-4F0D-B9AB-C011F3B73AD6.jpeg
    E43E2021-4517-4F0D-B9AB-C011F3B73AD6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 8DFCE82C-F7F6-4C14-A048-D968DF40DFEE.jpeg
    8DFCE82C-F7F6-4C14-A048-D968DF40DFEE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • D26C12D4-C9F2-4A0C-B975-D878EF86896A.jpeg
    D26C12D4-C9F2-4A0C-B975-D878EF86896A.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 37
I recently caught this 2019 documentary Beers Of Joy streaming on Peacock & other venues. I was most impressed with Tonya Cornett's pursuit of old style German beers & in particular Berliner Weisse thru her successful 10 Barrels Brewing Co. So successful that she has sold out & now runs her microbrewery & its beer development for Anheuser-Busch Co. The 2hr documentary also features 3 other beer entrepreneurs, one being a chef who cooks with beer. You might enjoy watching it too.

I'm not a fan of Berliner Weisse style German beer but decided to revisit some German styles I do like & make comparisons, starting with Warsteiner Dunkel vs KC Bier Co Dunkel. I love the taste of a good roasted Malt, but good German brewed beer imports can be hard to find here.

With my Peters Bros Shady Oak Bankers Special 7X Seventy-five, & a KC Bier Co glass.

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4962.jpg

PS: In watching the documentary I noticed when the Germans pour a bottled beer into a glass they pour down the inside of the glass to minimize the head just like we do. But when they get down to ~1/4th they stop pouring in order to swirl the bottle around. The Brewmaster gave the explanation that after bottling the yeast tends to settle out into the bottom of the bottle taking with it some of the flavor. By swirling the last of the bottle he mixes the yeast into foam that will sit on top of the glass creating the taste & creamy mouthfeel we enjoy.

Enjoyed this lovely Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen when I was in Berlin. Went well with the „Tiroler Brettljause“, described as "Wurst- und Schinkenspezialitäten von unserem Kitzbüheler Hausmetzger Huber, Verhackertes, Grammelschmalz und Obatzda, dazu Radi, Butter und Bauernbrot". Went down a treat.
The restaurant is called Weihenstephaner Berlin am Hackescher Markt.

IMG_4322.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
PS: In watching the documentary I noticed when the Germans pour a bottled beer into a glass they pour down the inside of the glass to minimize the head just like we do. But when they get down to ~1/4th they stop pouring in order to swirl the bottle around. The Brewmaster gave the explanation that after bottling the yeast tends to settle out into the bottom of the bottle taking with it some of the flavor. By swirling the last of the bottle he mixes the yeast into foam that will sit on top of the glass creating the taste & creamy mouthfeel we enjoy.

Interesting. I will definitely give this a "swirl."

Sometime you like a change. The last couple of days -no change for me. Surley pilsner and of course coffee.

17BF7DE4-82C6-4F0C-A9B8-9F6EF141AC2C-M.jpg

i-DZ2MQrf-M.jpg

This afternoon I changed to a Founders All Day IPA.

i-mkjTwsL-M.jpg

I grilled some salmon and cod to add to my fish chowder this afternoon. The IPA was an excellent pairing.

i-P7kjfHc-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Enjoyed this lovely Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen when I was in Berlin. Went well with the „Tiroler Brettljause“, described as "Wurst- und Schinkenspezialitäten von unserem Kitzbüheler Hausmetzger Huber, Verhackertes, Grammelschmalz und Obatzda, dazu Radi, Butter und Bauernbrot". Went down a treat.
The restaurant is called Weihenstephaner Berlin am Hackescher Markt.

View attachment 430969

It does indeed sound like a treat. Cheers!

A humid day calls for a GC Northern American Lager for a HH thirst quencher. Still under felt though with a Resistol Waco.

IMG_4982.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

IMG_4984.jpg

Took a sample of their recently tapped Blueberry Lager; not blue like one might think. Might be good as a 2-Pull with the Northern. Next on their tapping schedule is their Hefeweizen, a German wheat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ