Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

P_20220909_190441_HDR.jpg

Jack black for me, too, and some red,white, & blue. No nice hat. When you get a phone call just after midnight that one of the 2,000 gallon water heaters down at the hospital has burst and no one can get the valve to turn off and you finally get home 18 hours later, a nicer looking hat is not top of the agenda. Enough liquor and ibuprofen to stop the back from hurting is. Thank God it's Friday. My daughter made a pizza and is baking a cake so everything's gonna be alright.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Etsuko and I went to a friend’s bar in Osaka this evening. Etsuko left her hat at the hotel, but I wore a Bailey paper hat.
Etsuko started with a Monkey Shoulder, while I went for a new one to me, a Caol Ila. I must say, I was impressed. Wikipedia informs me that 90% of all their whisky goes into blends, including Jonnie Walker black label. It packed a real punch, especially on the nose, but also on the palate.
1121BA64-52E9-4012-B244-733FD57D69AD.jpeg
25AEE852-1206-40C6-97DE-6C33C12F0A0B.jpeg

Etsuko had a sip of my Caol Ila and decided to go with that for her next dram. I went with the Lagavulin 8.
9F793E15-1655-4DFC-A068-5208EE4E8188.jpeg

I believe I’ve only had the Lagavulin 16 before. The 8 was nice. It seemed to be missing the wow factor of the 16, but the taste lingered significantly longer than the Caol Ila.
Etsuko repeated the Caol Ila (no photo to show) while I had an Ardbeg An Oa.
The Ardbeg was served in this glass…
AF50D80D-B7D5-4C0F-99FA-DD891477750F.jpeg

It tasted good, but the glass robbed it of all the excitement that occurs before it hits the tongue, so much so that I asked them to pour it into a different glass. It still wasn’t an actual whisky glass, but it was a definite improvement, especially on the nose.
Etsuko enjoyed the Caol Ila so much that we ordered a couple of bottles from Amazon

It tasted good, but the glass robbed it of all the excitement that occurs before it hits the tongue,
A Glencairn or a Copita glass makes all the difference in the world when drinking whisky neat for the exact reasons you describe.
Etsuko enjoyed the Caol Ila so much that we ordered a couple of bottles from Amazon
Signatory offers some independent bottlings from time to time from casks they buy from Caol Ila. Don’t know about availability there in Japan.

PS: great pics, Gary.

The Shoe

One Too Many
A Glencairn or a Copita glass makes all the difference in the world when drinking whisky neat for the exact reasons you describe.
We have some really nice tulip shaped glasses at home that we always use. I’m tempted to pick up a couple of the Glencairn glasses just to see if it’s another noticeable step up. They’re a bit bigger than our glasses, and not too expensive.
Thanks, Jack.

I’m tempted to pick up a couple of the Glencairn glasses just to see if it’s another noticeable step up.
I wouldn’t say that it’s a big noticeable difference over your tulips but you will come to notice and appreciate the difference in most whisky over time.

An extended afternoon out for HH because I was bored at home. Now I have returned in a light rain shower with my Gannon Highwayman to continue with some Siete Leguas at home.

8B39D5B0-D4B2-441C-BA50-1CDC8EE8BF06.jpeg

4F3E7906-A0C3-4BAA-A5F3-C286CD39C7C4.jpeg

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Hanging out, watching Pac-12 football on a smokey Saturday afternoon. Today's beer is from a great little brewery from the Yakima area, Wandering Hop Brewery. This 369 Hazy IPA has become a favorite. Wearing my Ultrafino Havana, which has become my go-to hot weather hat because it's so light and comfortable in spite of being fairly inexpensive.
20220910_180402.jpg

StoryPNW

Practically Family

Signatory offers some independent bottlings from time to time from casks they buy from Caol Ila. Don’t know about availability there in Japan.

I'm not a connoisseur by any means but I might have to pick up some of these glasses. I am developing a taste for whiskeys and scotches.

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
I'm not a connoisseur by any means but I might have to pick up some of these glasses. I am developing a taste for whiskeys and scotches.
You definitely want a decent glass. I have different glasses for different wine varietals and the difference is incredible. The Glencairn glasses are, by all accounts, great, and they’re very reasonably priced. Our tulip glasses are beautiful, and they certainly elevate a whisky’s flavour above that of a shot glass or rock glass, but I feel pretty confident that we’ll have some Glencairn glasses before long.

What is it about blends that make the glasses inappropriate?
Not really inappropriate. Blends are just not as complex so there aren’t all the little nuances in aroma & taste to come out.

PS: One of the Single Malts in Monkey Shoulder that makes it so good is Kininvie. Used in other b lends b up to a lesser amount, like Johnnie Walker, Chivas & Dimple/Pinch. Impossible to find Kininvie as a Single Malt in the US.

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
One of the Single Malts in Monkey Shoulder that makes it so good is Kininvie. Used in other b lends b up to a lesser amount, like Johnnie Walker, Chivas & Dimple/Pinch. Impossible to find Kininvie as a Single Malt in the US.
A quick search shows that it’s not readily available here either. I did find one bottle of 23 year old going for $300.

I love that phone salutation!
Me too. I’ve been rewatching the 6 seasons for something to do. This hot summer I have rewatched the 4 seasons of Yellowstone, 1 season of 1883 & 1 season of Mayor of Kingstown. I watched Lonesome Dove. I guess Deadwood is next.

I have a bundle order out for delivery today from Santa Fe Spirits, Santa Fe, NM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112