Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats In Spain

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I brought only two hats to Spain with me a military bush hat made in Thailand in the Sixties a super thin GH I had made for this trip and then broke down and bought a third and a fourth in straw while I was there. They were inexpensive kind of and were easily rolled up for storage.
DSCN2531.jpg

DSCN2924.jpg

DSCN2693.jpg

DSCN2810.jpg

feltfan

DOUGLAS said:
I brought only two hats to Spain with me a military bush hat made in Thailand in the Sixties a super thin GH I had made for this trip

What's a GH and what happened to its bow?

It has been too long since I've been in Spain, too.
The sandstone in the second picture reminds me of
Salamanca and the trees in the third remind me of
the top of the Parque Guell. Sigh.

Douglas, I'm surprised you don't have one of those
stiff round hats typical of the South of Spain...

DOUGLAS

I spent my time on Mallorca. It is absolutely beautiful but getting built up.
The beach shot is in Cala Rajada. The other three were taken in Palma. I love Spain and the coffee.....I miss having a cortado in the afternoon. I could easily live there. Not many hats though. I only found one store established in 1909. The hats were not very good.

GH is Gladhatter.The wind is blowing and it is picking up the ribbon I had draped below the bow. I do have a Spanish hat some where.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Ah, las islas. Had my first honeymoon in Ibiza where I now have family. My second Spanish wife is from Murcia. I lived in Catalunya with the first, Andalucia with the second. Gotta go back. Lots of family.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Douglas , I dont know if you had a chance to find any hat stores in Spain but when I was in Seville my wife and I found quite a few . The funny thing is no one is wearing a hat so I guess they all must be for export .

\
Steven

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Great shots! How thin is the GH felt? You've really got deep looking side dents too. What color is it? It looks sort of 'off-white' or camel in the photo.

O.K.,one last nosy question ;) : I like your sunglasses. Are they new or vintage? (end of questioning...)

DOUGLAS

Sefton, the hat is very thin and the color is called Mojave. It is a sandy white. The sun glasses are not vintage they are Matsuda which is a Japanese designer.

DOUGLAS

Steven , this was the only hat store I could find. It is in Palma and was opened in 1909.
DSCN2640.jpg

DSCN2639.jpg

The hats were not that great.

DOUGLAS

Kevin, the water was fine. There was a bad jelly fish problem on the west coast but I was on the east coast and I saw only a few small ones.

Dan I only get pink I rarely tan no matter how much sun I get. My Irish skin I guess[huh]

Flash Gordon

Familiar Face
Spain!

My second-favorite country! I'm going back there in a few weeks (as I do every year.)

I was married in Madrid fifteen years ago. We spent our five-week honeymoon driving around the country.

I used to run with the bulls in Pamplona until we had our son, and then my wife said that's enough of that.

I lived on Mallorca (Cala Millor) for several months about twenty years ago. It's sad to see how much it's being built up.

Did you head up to Valldemosa, where Chopin wrote "The Raindrop Prelude"? How'd you like the windmills in the center of the island? Did you have roast lamb? (the best!)

Next month, I'll toast you all with a fine glass of tinto upstairs at Botin's.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Spanish Hats

I received a Fernandez y Roche featherweight fedora from one of our vendors here in Brooklyn and it is really fine. He said he hopes to be carrying their line soon and if you like a true cloud weight fedora, this will suit your fancy.

The weight of the body is 90 grams and is very similar to the Borsalino Viaggio
model. Mine is the color of bittersweet chocolate with a black ribbon and a 2 1/2 inch brim. He had another there wich weighed in at 75 grams in a deep inky blue which is similar to the Borsalino Icaro (don't dare fly too close to the sun) which is the only hat made (according to Debbie Henderson) that weighs 45 grams .I own an Icaro and am afraid to wear it due to its delicacy.

I do not know if we have a thread on F y R hats on the lounge but they sure are cool. Keep an eye open for them, and you won't be disappointed.

analogist

Michael D

Familiar Face
Analogist,

Having lived in Spain for two years over 30 years ago I've been very interested in many (if not all) things Spanish.

I've broused the Fernandez y Roche website several times and have been interested in trying their hats.

I'm glad to know someone has one and has given a nice recommendation. How did you obtain this gem? Do they have a US disrtibutor?

Michael D.

DOUGLAS

Hey Flash, I stayed in Cala Rajada for four months 17 years ago. I agree there is alot of build up. What up with all those round-abouts. They seem to be every 500 meters.
Last time I was there I went to Pollenca for the festival of the Christians beating back the Moors. I is amazing what a few liters of Palo will do to your mind. I was lanced in the back as I was running down the street looking for cover.
This time I went to the festival of fire in Capdapera. That was pretty fun and dangerous.
DSCN2571.jpg

DSCN2572.jpg

DSCN2576.jpg

DSCN2586.jpg

DSCN2592.jpg

DSCN2602.jpg

I did have the lamb and it was fantastic but to be honest I enjoyed the lomo con col more and the lechona.... man my mouth is watering up just thinking about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo