Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatter quiz.

Fedora

Vendor
Thought this would be a hoot.

1) What common chemical was used to clean hats at the turn of the 20th century? Hint. It is really expensive now, and may affect the presidential electon.;) Fedora

Fedora

Vendor
Righto!!! They used gasoline!! Course, it was white gas, or the same as Coleman fuel. I just wonder how they got the gas smell out of the hat!! Here is a harder one.

What was the last finishing process in a renovation? No hints on this one.(besides the final brushing) :D Fedora

Michaelson

One Too Many
Boy, after reading the post about using the white gas, using flame seems a bit, well, risky? (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Am I a winner?

I don't remember the term, but you scorch the hat to burn off the odd guard hairs that stick out. Humm.....it's not roasting. It's singeing? I forget the name!

Fedora

Vendor
Ok. One of the last things done to a refurbished hat, is it was smoked, from the smoke coming from burning cotton and oil. Weird. Times sure have changed. I just can't imagine what a hat that had been cleaned in gas, dried and then smoked would smell like on your head. I don't think I will try this, and will just take the master hatter's word for it. Fedora

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Some friends of mine went to India ast year and I had them get me a 'forties inspired l"Hollywood" suit tailor-made in a cream worsted wool- high waisted pleated trousers and peaked lapel single breasted jacket...
They had it steamed before they sent it to me...
They also dry-cleaned it... and you guessed it, it stunk of petrol when I received it!
They use gas there for dry-cleaning too.
I was thoroughly shocked and amazed.
Damn sharp suit though.
BellyT.

Fedora

Vendor
I guess most folks stunk pretty bad back in 1919, with antiperspirant not being invented yet. The smell of gas and smoke would not have been so bad, given the era. LOL Fedora

I think the smell also had the effect of warding off things like moths and mosquitoes in the old days. I am pretty sure moths do not like clothing cleaned with white gas nor would they be atracted to something that was smoky smelling. Fleas also might not like the smell. So if the clothes were smelling of gas or smoke the reason could have been prtection.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda