Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Haven Hats

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Okay, just purchased a BIN moss green hat of his ebay site, though it's a size too large , I know I an shrink it to fit. I don't think I can go wrong at the price. At my age and given the size of my collection, I really don't need any more hats but, if my small purchase helps an up and coming hatter, I'm more than willing to make my contribution and I believe he would benefit by participating on the forum, once he gets the technicalities straightened out. I would like to see more of his hats, looks very promising.

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
At the bottom of the page is a "contact us" link the Bartenders should be able to straighten out the problem.
They always do a great job
Rick thanks for the update. if the Major likes him he has got to be good, as evidenced in the alteration.
Here is another mystery hatter that has come from the blue:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/247057267/buckaroo-cowboy-hat?ref=related-2
Strange sweat bands, as if just starting out and self taught, one pic shows a bunch of old blocks, no ribbons, looks like no pouncing
Grizz makes hats like they did 100 years ago by hand (he even boils the felt on a wood burning stove and heats his irons up on it too). He tries to make them authentic for that time period for re enactors. I know he uses wool felt and spends most of his time making them at festivals with very few tools. Not my style, but he has a lot of followers.

ingineer

One Too Many
Rick; i owe you for starting this thread.
I balked at the 7-3/8" one on flebay
i'm 7-1/2 didn't think i could stretch it.
However when i contacted him re a new sweat. Mark came back and emailed me he would make another in SB my size.
now just waiting for his PP to send him some funds

IF he has the flange molds. Those aren't cheap, and can take time to assemble a fully rounded assortment of sizes and shape varieties.

The good old days at JHS!

5622920166_418104d704_b.jpg

5622905058_ef25078763_b.jpg

Lotsahats

One Too Many
That's breath-taking. These images alone show the importance of hat wearing at a certain point in time.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very pleased

Rick; i owe you for starting this thread.
I balked at the 7-3/8" one on flebay
i'm 7-1/2 didn't think i could stretch it.
However when i contacted him re a new sweat. Mark came back and emailed me he would make another in SB my size.
now just waiting for his PP to send him some funds

He is very customer oriented, very considerate and accommodating.
This beaver is tough as any Akubra or service Stratton, yet very smoothly pounced with a unpretentiously charming take on this classic.
And as I told Mark finally a black (really deep gray) hat that won't have people mistaking me :kev: for a Rabbi!
Finally no more complex ethical questions or circumcision requests!

I need to hear something from one of ya'll that has purchased a dress weight felt.
This piece is a rugged western made to be run hard & put up wet, but smooth as silk to the touch, well finished (FANTASTIC SWEAT!) and a simple and harmonious, hiccup free, flawless execution of this classic design. (all props to JBS :yo:)

Sorry f/ the crap picture.

Last edited:

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I received my hat; 100% beaver. It is very nicely done. The felt is very smooth and soft to the touch, almost velvety. It's dense. Not too stiff and not too floppy; seems to have the right amount of flex. The liner is hand sewn into the hat and the sweat is soft sheepskin roan.

I wish his name or logo was in the hat, I'd be proud to show it off. Of course I understand why it's not.

I feel lucky to have happened upon this "shop cleaning" sale of early examples of his work. For a beginning hatter, he's off to a great start.

EBay pics (better than I can take):

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
I received my hat; 100% beaver. It is very nicely done. The felt is very smooth and soft to the touch, almost velvety. It's dense. Not too stiff and not too floppy; seems to have the right amount of flex. The liner is hand sewn into the hat and the sweat is soft sheepskin roan.

I wish his name or logo was in the hat, I'd be proud to show it off. Of course I understand way it's not.

I feel lucky to have happened upon this "shop cleaning" sale of early examples of his work. For a beginning hatter, he's off to a great start.

Ebay pics (better than I can take):

View attachment 36857 View attachment 36858

Should be receiving mine sometime this week. I will post my opinion.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
I just rec'd. my Havens Bros. hat and I must say it is quite nice. Soft, nice sweat , a deep sage color, very nice value for dollar spent.

ingineer

One Too Many
Well this was fast!
I responded 3-1/8"
"Hello Richard -

I just wanted to let you know your hat is blocked. Tomorrow, I'll start the pouncing and finish work. One question I have now is brim width. The sand colored hat we referenced before has a 2 3/4" brim. Is this okay, or do you want a wider brim?

I will have another email out to you tomorrow or Weds. regarding the other details, I.e., ribbon design, crown shape, etc. "

ingineer

One Too Many
Well, today i had a most pleasant conversation with Mark, sometimes the phone is better than email.
there is something about people that come from a health adversity that rise above it
i challenged him to do a bound edge to which he agreed.
Most amiable chap and understood what i was aiming for, knew what a 52 block was.
Enthusiasm is an essential criteria what ever you do
i think he has a few surprises which he told me not to say
Forgive me for a gratuitous update, but want to keep this thread alive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR