Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Tommy Bahama...not my favorite shirts but a great print.
image.jpg

I have quite a few Hawaiian shirts and I'll post a few. Here's a Jams World I've had for about fifteen years.
I don't know how they matched up the pocket.
image.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
It's been 6 long months since there's been any action here. There are some advantages to the winter season, Pendelton shirts and mouton collar coats for example, but my favorite season is Straw hat and Aloha shirt season. It's still a bit too cool here, but the sun is starting to shine more often than not and I'm looking forward to the fashion switch. I'm also always on the lookout for another shirt, OCD would be more correct. So I was stoked to finally receive this shirt in the mail today after a long wait for the post. I have been looking for this shirt for a LONG time and since this particular color seems to be out of production, that combined with my oversize left me pessimistic for success. So to say I'm stoked to find a nice example would be an understatement. This shirt has been around, made in Hawaii and posted from Poland to me.

The original motif of this shirt by Kahala is prominently featured in "The Aloha Shirt book" book on page 139 and is shown being worn by Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan for you youngsters). Mine is a repop by Kalakaua of Hawaii and although there is no fabric tag their websites says it's "100% Rayon Poplin". It has a soft cotton feel. While not an exact reproduction of the pictured shirt, it's is quite close. Kalakaua calls the print "Comic Fish" and credits the design to the 40's. It features a wide lapel loop collar, 2 pleats on the back, pocket matching, and coconut buttons. Excuse the creases, this is fresh from the package before I send it off to the dry cleaners

Here is a pix of "The Aloha Shirt" book page

Now there is something in that book "Our Dawn" famous Aussie Olympian swimmer Dawn Fraser getting a peck from 1924 Olympic champion Johnny Weismuller. I recently bought a photo of him with one of our local Manly Sydney Olympians 1924 gold medallist "Boy" Charlton. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221793101650?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Hello guys, I came across some great vintage silk kimono fabric, and I thought about using it to make a shirt. Does anyone have any suggestions for patterns I could buy, or download, and use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy