Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Chamorro, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Red McCutcheon

Red McCutcheon New in Town

I have nothing to say about this shirt except that it is off-the-charts cool.

FedOregon likes this.
  2. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

That shirt is so cool it needs to kept refridgerated. Prehistoric cave art, so, so cool. Unusual designs always make for interesting shirts, like Bob's daughter wearing that ethnic patterned dress, how cool would that be as a shirt?
    The garage proprietor that services and maintains my old MG has taken on the project of turning the lapel pins into buttons. Had a text from him today to say that the prototype is finished, just waiting for the epoxy resin to go off, adding, call round in the morning and collect. Brilliant, Tina needs a button to measure for buttonholes and button positioning. Did I say that I was excited?

3. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The date is getting closer & closer to Halloween. There's a shirt in my wardrobe that needs to be taken out, washed and pressed in readiness:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1mach1, BobHufford and FedOregon like this.
  4. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

Awesome shirt! Boo!

5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

aloha 148.JPG

How can you tell that this is not my old car? Head rests, grab handles, seat belt brackets, what luxury.

6. Red McCutcheon

Agreed. My overriding criterion is that the shirt look cool as all get out. If a loud aloha looks that way, so be it, but many of my personal faves are relatively placid.

7. Red McCutcheon

Every wardrobe needs 20 of these shirts.
    ;)

8. Red McCutcheon

I salute those who seek out the holy grails--or tiki mugs, as it were--but of my 41 Alohas, there is only one I'm sure is an original. And that's fine by me. I'm more concerned with the look of the shirt--and the material from which it is made, preferably rayon--than its vintage. If the look of an Aloha from China or Korea blows me away, I'll purchase it. Likewise, if I see a ridiculously underpriced original in terrific condition, but it doesn't strike my aesthetic fancy, I'll leave it alone.

9. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

A unique shirt, with unique buttons.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  10. Red McCutcheon

The Hawaiian shirt/sweater combo is one I've been rocking for many a fall and winter. Just make sure that your sweaters are sedate in order to act as a foil for the florid collars.

nick123 likes this.
  11. Red McCutcheon

Mike, if you're interested in reading about those cormorants in action, I suggest you pick up Ian Fleming's Bond novel, You Only Live Twice. It's an all-around great read, and a certain cormorant plays a significant role in it.

12. Red McCutcheon

That's googie as all get-out and I love it. I'm very parshul to the more abstract patterns.

13. Red McCutcheon

Speaking of which, do y'all often or ever wear hats with your Hawaiians? I very frequently wear a Panama.

14. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Straw hats and Aloha shirts were made for each other Red. Welcome to the Lounge

15. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The BBC do a marathon fund raising event every year that they call: "Children in Need." The money flows in all year round, but for one day in the year, and today's that day, they go all out on their national and local radio stations as well as their TV channels, promoting the charity. Last year they raised well over £55M.
    It's become something of an event, to this end the guys where I work are raising money by having a "Wear a Loud Shirt to Work Day." Ha! Right up my street. I'm going to wear the naked ladies, discretely covered of course. Part of the work operation requires us to wear hard hats, some of the guys have suggested that they jazz their hats up with the likes of: chimp's ears, or, Mohican spiked hair, that sort of thing. The hard hat that I still have in it's box is going to get an airing tonight. I wonder if they are ready for a fedora hard hat?
    aloha 064.jpg
    It's hard to believe that those rhododendrons were in bloom just a few short weeks ago.
    hard hat.jpg

FedOregon and BobHufford like this.
  16. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

I saw a hard hat molded like a western/crossover, kind of like the Stetson Open Road.

17. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The Autumnal weather is definitely turning wintry. But I still love wearing my shirts, it's like a sort of defiance.
    black fedora 002.JPG

Redfokker, FedOregon and BobHufford like this.
  18. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

No matter the season or weather, I still grab a Hawaiian shirt at least once or twice a week.

Redfokker likes this.
  19. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

She made me a new shirt for Christmas, but didn't get time to finish it. Details like ribbon lining around the hems a small sleeve details need finishing off. "Don't you dare!" she said today, as I was putting the shirt on, explaining the previous details. it's not a patterned shirt but it's still unique. Tina has made me a two tone shirt in exactly the same colours as my old MG, how cool is that? You will see it soon enough, for now, the MG shirt gets another airing, I just love the octagon buttons.
    shirts 177.JPG shirts 178.JPG

BobHufford, Pdxgeo and FedOregon like this.