Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick...thanks for posting those. Wow, outstanding. I really like the Howie too, it's definitely got that tiki bar feel to it. Is it bark cloth. Thanks for posting the photo bucket link, too. I'm not on FB so I'm glad I got to see those. I'm blown away, and green with envy. I really dig that navy one with the shells, and the bright blue one with sport fish and the red one with peacocks really caught my eye too. You have an impressive collection.

Thank you thank you! It's not labeled "barkcloth", but it is a cotton/polyester blend I think. Definitely has a gritty surface to it. Very comfortable. I like it because it's kind of stiff, so it stays in shape really well. The Sun Surfs will crease up quickly on you if not hung properly. I left a few on a chair for a few days and they wrinkled :(. I'd actually argue whatever the Howie is made of is actually more practical-but the Surfs have the best colors/patterns IMO.

Rayon fabric definitely seems to hold the sharpest, brightest colors, but you are right, it will get wrinkled just by looking at it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's the motherlode Nick! Great score!

I'm taking the family to Disneyland/LA end of August and spending a week in Hawaii on the way back. I hope to pick up some fine island shirts while I'm there (it's a must!) and you guys are priming my wallet to take a hit!

maduro 5

A-List Customer
That's the motherlode Nick! Great score!

I'm taking the family to Disneyland/LA end of August and spending a week in Hawaii on the way back. I hope to pick up some fine island shirts while I'm there (it's a must!) and you guys are priming my wallet to take a hit!

For Sun Surf shirts you should stop over in Japan, better chances of finding one there than in Hawaii. And your wallet will take a hit. There is a seller on Ebay, Manjapan, he does carry very interesting pieces and I believe he is Australian.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I didn't pay more than $50 for all but two or three of my Sun Surfs when the Rakuten stores had their big sale (Vintage Paradise and another I can't recall)... I think I spent around $400 for nine or ten shirts. Pretty good when you compare to a full price TB, which will put you about $120 back!

maduro 5

A-List Customer
I didn't pay more than $50 for all but two or three of my Sun Surfs when the Rakuten stores had their big sale (Vintage Paradise and another I can't recall)... I think I spent around $400 for nine or ten shirts. Pretty good when you compare to a full price TB, which will put you about $120 back!

That's really good deal. I fortunately or unfortunately need XXL in Sun Surf and there are not many of them around.

Benny Holiday

I have a few Avanti and Sun Surf shirts and dig 'em, but last time I was in Hawaii (too many years ago) I picked up some great cotton numbers by companies like Go Barefoot with a longer 40s-style collar and retro prints, so I'll be on the look out for more like that. I've still got a yellow Go Barefoot with a mai-tai/pineapple theme from Waikiki that I love.

Thanks for that tip Benny Holiday. I checked put their site and they do have some vintage looking cotton ones. I know I've said this recently, I love the rayon ones, but as Mike put it, they're "hanger queens" most of the time unless it's the rare occasion I'm stepping out without the little ones. Nuthin' like little ice cream-y, pizza sauce-y, booger pickin' hands to retrain your perspective on what makes a shirt desirable. Dry cleaning can get expensive, and doesn't always even work.

Benny Holiday

Yup. I wear a vintage 40s tie to work every day and have to take it off as soon as I get home for the same reason. If I want to feed, play with or snuggle the little guy (now 9 months old), I need to be prepared to get messy!

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
RJC "Hawaii State Locations" -- 100% cotton. Made in Hawaii.

4bcd3d05_haw_new_08.jpeg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Never say never. Finally found a gen-U-ine vintage Aloha shirt in true XL. I was skeptical when I first viewed the listing but confirmed the label is vintage both online and in Rin Tanaka's book. It was described as cotton but I'm pretty sure it's Rayon. Some of my favorite colors too so I'm stoked. Fresh out of the Ebay envelope but it will need a trip to the dry cleaners:

Kinda looks like Aloha camo up close:

Metal King Kamehameha buttons:

Detail of loop collar:

Some other neat unseen details, the wood collar button threads are not sewn through to the inside lining and the collar tips are reinforced with extra stitches kinda like a collar stiffener. Condition appears unworn.

Congrats!!!! It's a real beauty. I love that shade of green and it's a real cool vintage pattern. The brown shades help with that nice tiki room feel, as do the coin buttons. Nice find Mike!!
Action shots coming soon I hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80