Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Dale. It wasn't really priced vintage either so don't feel too bad about busting my average budget on it. Gonna try not to let it be a hanger queen but it likely will be if it is indeed Rayon.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone know of a vendor who makes new reproduction pre-war Hawaiian shirts?

I don't know of one p51 but that doesn't mean there isn't. If there is, it would likely be Japanese and priced and sized accordingly. I base my guess on the fact the popularity of Aloha shirts was post-war.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks bl@ster, I'd pretty much conceded I'd never find a vintage shirt in my size let alone one I liked too. If anything, it's pretty roomy but rather have that than too tight. Gives me some more room to "grow" into it ;)

Sweeeeeet!!!! You can't go wrong with tikis. I notice it even has the little loop for the top buttonhole. That is one primo shirt Mike.

Have a rum drink for me while you're wearing it, would you?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Roger wilco Dale. I even have 2 different Hawaiian rums on hand ;)

No button loop collar, just an optical illusion. Has a normal top button which I really don't get.

Must need to get my glasses recharged. It's still an awesome pattern, and I'm still jealous. Enjoy it in good health.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

p51

One Too Many
Has a normal top button which I really don't get.
Just curious, was it ever considered in fashion to wear them buttoned all the up, or maybe even worn with a tie or with a suit?
I once looked at a 50s hawaiian shirt at an antique place (didn't buy it, I have a few I bought on the Hawaiian trip which i never wear). I noticed it, too, buttoned all the way to the collar.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just curious, was it ever considered in fashion to wear them buttoned all the up, or maybe even worn with a tie or with a suit?
I once looked at a 50s hawaiian shirt at an antique place (didn't buy it, I have a few I bought on the Hawaiian trip which i never wear). I noticed it, too, buttoned all the way to the collar.

Surely that goes against the innate function of a Hawaiian shirt. It's meant to be a casual, loose garment to wear in warm, humid tropical climes. They just wouldn't look right buttoned all the way up and certainly not with a tie. That's just MHO of course though.

I have a couple which I love when the horrible Australian summer is properly in full swing.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks BH.

I'd have to agree with Smithy concerning buttoning the collar all the way up. Many Aloha shirts have a top button though so suppose it's an option for those who must button up or try and match a tie. I have also seen Aloha print sport coats. An earlier post here shows an actor in a Hawaiian Noir film wearing an Aloha print shirt with a traditional sport coat. Doesn't make sense to me though.

nick123, I have many fond memories of Tiki Kulture when I was a kid. You can still spot Tiki skeletons around Tacoma if you look closely. I'm ready for the comeback!

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
Reyn Spooner "Spooner Cloth" reverse print.

c26da352_haw_new_16.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80