Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy Flannel Shirt Challenge

simonc

Practically Family
The standard winter perennial. Has to be machine washable, has to be under a hundred bucks, fabric has to be over 6 oz's in weight. Go.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Viyella shirts are fabulous. Cotton wool blend. Machine wash cold, drip dry. DON'T put them in the dryer. Gorgeous colors and patterns, deliciously warm and comfortable. I'm amazed we don't have a thread dedicated to them here.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Don't know. Haven't needed to buy any in years. My ex father-in-law gave me all of his dad's vintage heavy flannel shirts years ago. I've only had one wear out on the elbow. Others still look great. Most winter days, I don't even need to wear a jacket.

bords

New in Town
My vote would be a used Flat Head or Iron Heart. I think my sons will be wearing mine when I kick.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Much as I like Pendletons, and, I have nearly a dozen, I've not found them particularly warm. I also have a Pendleton wool coat/jacket. I was in Seattle over Christmas, and went out one night wearing the Pendleton coat over one of my board shirts; I might as well have been wearing a thin tshirt. The cold night air went through that wool like I was nekkid. They look sharp, and, I love 'em, but, I don't count on them for warmth.

I've worn L.L. Bean flannel shirts for years; they are toasty warm, good-looking shirts. I've one I picked up second hand about ten years ago, and I can't wear the darn thing out. It's my favorite shirt. Also, there is the fit. Some flannel shirts fit like a tent, and feel stiff. A well-made flannel shirt should fit well, not hang off the shoulders or ballon out at the waist. That's a waste.

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
Much as I like Pendletons, and, I have nearly a dozen, I've not found them particularly warm. I also have a Pendleton wool coat/jacket. I was in Seattle over Christmas, and went out one night wearing the Pendleton coat over one of my board shirts; I might as well have been wearing a thin tshirt. The cold night air went through that wool like I was nekkid. They look sharp, and, I love 'em, but, I don't count on them for warmth.

I've worn L.L. Bean flannel shirts for years; they are toasty warm, good-looking shirts. I've one I picked up second hand about ten years ago, and I can't wear the darn thing out. It's my favorite shirt. Also, there is the fit. Some flannel shirts fit like a tent, and feel stiff. A well-made flannel shirt should fit well, not hang off the shoulders or ballon out at the waist. That's a waste.

I hear that Jack, I was looking at the LLbean 33 range and the fit is slim and they look sweet.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Hi Kyle they look good, for you, why are they your winning flannel?

Mine is about 3yrs old so specs may have changed but:

XL fit is perfect in the shoulders for me - nice fit all around not too roomy not too tight
Thick, heavy cotton flannel (I'm talking cotton, wool would be a different story) still looks good after a lot of washes
Well sewn, tough construction
Double layer at elbows
The two button flap chest pockets are actually more convenient to use than single buttons when storing multiple items or glasses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24