Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy Flannel Shirt Challenge

DanWebb

New in Town
I like the cotton fabric that has a small % wool and then get a custom shirt maker to knock it up.

Acorn%2Bwool%2Bblend%2Bshirting.jpg

Bassman

A-List Customer
Went searching (on the web) for American made, heavy flannel shirts. Only found Stormey Kromer so I ordered a couple even though I thought they were overpriced (at $80 per shirt). When they arrived I initially wasn't thrilled with the weight and then read the tag that said "Made in America of imported materials". I thought that was deceptive and returned them. Ended up with a couple from Duluth Trading ($60 each, not made in America). I liked them better. Was rather dissapointed that I could NOT find any made in the USA.

simonc

Practically Family
Yes Bassman it's getting harder with such temptingly cheap labor in China. But if you let that hold you back you wouldn't be online in the first place as your pc is made there too.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
That '33 llbean looks the business.

I ordered the '33 LLBean on Wednesday and it was delivered today (Friday). I ordered a size medium in gray. What an awesome shirt. I read it was slim fit, but didn't expect that to mean much as LL Bean stuff is usually so generous. It does fit slim and it isn't as long as many button-up shirts. It's a bit too thick to tuck in, so the shorter length looks much more appropriate untucked. I can't say I love the buttons - but maybe they are an attempt to copy the originals...bakelite? Helluva nice shirt.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I won't buy anything from China, unless it is a last resort, but if you think about it...what does "made in america" really mean anymore...in LA it is often just illegal aliens from Mexico or Central America working in a downtown LA sweatshop.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I ordered the '33 LLBean on Wednesday and it was delivered today (Friday). I ordered a size medium in gray. What an awesome shirt. I read it was slim fit, but didn't expect that to mean much as LL Bean stuff is usually so generous. It does fit slim and it isn't as long as many button-up shirts. It's a bit too thick to tuck in, so the shorter length looks much more appropriate untucked. I can't say I love the buttons - but maybe they are an attempt to copy the originals...bakelite? Helluva nice shirt.

I've had the 1933 chamois shirt in "barley" for almost a year now, and, even though I've only worn it twice so far in the Texas weather, I can say that it is a very fine shirt. Currently, it's my only heavy-weight shirt. When I bought it, they only had three or four colors available, and now they've got some colors that I like better than barley, so I'm tempted to go back for another.

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
Nice one Conelrad, I also like the patterned 33 llbean have too. Lovely. I might go for a tall as I am all about tucking in.

a1a

New in Town
I'd vote for vintage Woolrich, the new stuff I'm not impressed with but anything vintage enough to be made in Woolrich PA is pretty nice.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I didn't have the 33, but did have a regular LL Bean Chamois Shirt a few years ago. It shrunk a lot after a few washings and pilled up substantially. My wife made an iPad sleeve out of it for me and took the rest for crafting scraps.

Filson Alaskan Guide shirts art pretty tough and warm.
I got a Bill's Khakis (pretty sure it's all made outside of Reading, PA) flannel for Christmas that's a new favorite.

As far as wool plaid shirts go, anything Pendleton makes out of the umatilla fabric is great. Not too itchy, washable (shrinks slightly first time in the dryer), warm and very breathable. Perfect for layering or wearing instead of a light jacket in warmer months.

Monte

A-List Customer
Depending where you live, thrift shops are usually loaded with them. I've picked up some for under 4 bucks that could almost pass as a jacket.

Tom - Same here...absolutely the same up here but not really vintage. I picked up four for $4 and under...
3 are snaps instead of buttons and they're all tall mans--unlike the ones I get for gifts from my family which
end up sitting in the closet for years unworn. Now that I think of it, the Scheel's brand are very thick material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner