Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy leather and fit.

winston

New in Town
Hello all. I am very used to going by measurements to determine the fit of the items I buy, but I know from experience that the type of material a garment is made from can influence fit. For example, a sportcoat with a chest circumference of 44 inches will be too big for me, but a leather indy jacket with a 46 inch chest (actually a size 42 I believe) fits me fine. It's something to do with the thick leather not draping and sagging.

So with that in mind I have a question. How many inches do you typically have extra in the chest of your Aero FQHH jackets? Let's say your chest measures 40 inches. In a jacket which fits you well, what would the armpit to armpit measurement be?
I'd appreciate as much accurate data as possible here so I can avoid making a mistake.
Thanks!

Budajoe

New in Town
Well, tough to say on the armpit to armpit measurement -- This seems to vary in between various jackets makers and I wouldn't use that as an accurate way to get fitted, as different types of leather fit / measure differently.

Recently, I just purchased two Aero's in FQHH -- I did my own measurements the way they describe for you to take on their Ebay pages...I told them my overall build, etc and that was it.

Let me tell you, I was rather concerned about the fit, but when receiving the jackets (one being a Rocker, the other being a Mariner -- both in FQHH) -- they both fit better than I could have ever hoped / expected for...pretty much perfect. I would recommend anyone to do it that way, just as they describe...as they got it perfectly right for me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Thanks,
B

winston

New in Town
That's probably how I'd do it too if I was ordering from aero, but I'm looking at used jackets. I'd be much obliged if you could give me your chest measurement as well as the pit-to-pit on your aeros. Knowing how much extra space you can get away with having on an aero jacket before it looks too big would be extremely helpful.

Peacoat

Bartender
There was a discussion on this topic a few weeks ago. I tried to explain the difference in the chest measurement taken from seam to seam (the vertical seam) under the armpits, as opposed to the measurement as it is usually taken across the chest (or the back) from armpit to armpit. Not sure how successful I was. See if you can find that thread. I think Aero is in the heading, and it is about fitting Aero jackets, maybe a Highwayman?

Budajoe

New in Town
Winston,

Measurements on my Rocker jacket across the chest, armpit to armpit are approx. 24", across the shoulders in the back, about 20.5" -

Jacket is a 44" -- For referenced, I'm about 5'11", 180lb, pretty fit, with a 44 - 44.5" chest inhaled, and about about a 43 exhaled, fairly wide shoulders.

The jacket is a slim fit, but not small or restrictive -- I typically wear it wtih a T-shirt under, or a long sleeved cotton shirt, etc. I think the thickest I could get away with is a light wool sweater...nothing heavier. But here in Cali, it's never that cold so it works perfect for me.

Anyhow, hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions.

B

winston

New in Town
Thanks. Roughly four inches of comfort room.

Peacoat, I always measure my items right across from armpit to armpit, which when doubled gives the complete circumference of the chest. For jackets with a seam right up the side, (like most leather jackets) the measurement is taken between these seams. On sportcoats and suit jackets there is no such seam, of course, but you can still take the distance across between the armpits.

Peacoat

Bartender
I think the point I was trying to make in the other thread is that if the measurement as normally taken from armpit to armpit is used, then that measurement shows there is more room in the chest than there really is. That's why I threw in the part about seam to seam. The seam to seam measurement under the armpits, at least on my Highwayman, is closer to the size actually available across the chest.

I agree that normally the armpit to armpit measurement gives a good indication of the size, but with my Aero Highwayman, it doesn't work that way--probably because of where the armholes are placed on the jacket.

This post is probably as confusing as the post in the other thread I made. It's hard for me to describe a concept without showing a picture or a drawing.

winston

New in Town
I guess I am slightly confused by which seam you mean. For me, armpit to armpit is seam to seam. I'm talking about the seam up the side. Right across between the two side seams, where they meet the arm, would represent one half of the jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
Pictures

Maybe I can make it more clear with the pictures. The first pic shows the side seams. The one toward the front is the one I was refering to, and probably the one you meant as well.

The next photo shows the measurement taken across the chest from armpit to armpit. This measurement is 25", indicating a lot of room in the chest. There is not as much actual room in the chest as this measurement would indicate.

The third pic shows the measurement across the chest from seam to seam. It is 22 1/2, indicating about a size 42. This is an accurate measurement of the amount of room actually available in the chest. My Highwayman is labled a 42 and is a tight fit in the chest. Hope this makes it more clear.

Highwaymansideseam004.jpg

Highwaymansideseam001.jpg

Highwaymansideseam002.jpg

winston

New in Town
Ah. I didn't know these jackets were made with a panel of sorts on the side, like a sportcoat. I thought they were essentially a back piece and the two front pieces (like an indy jacket, and probably most others) I would typically ignore the seams when measuring because if you use the front seams, and then double that, you are ignoring a large amount of the actual chest circumference.

Thanks, that was informative.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
This is a useful thread. Thanks.

In a slight diversion, I've just received samples of Aero's heavy steer and front quarter horse. Amazing stuff. I'm looking forward to ordering the jacket now.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Aero's heavy steer

Hello: I'm new to the mix here, but, drawn in by my fondness for leather jackets, and the always interesting converstations about them. As for Aero's heavy steer, I recently got a 'Bootlegger' in brown heavy steer. It is even heavier and stiffer than some of their HH, like my Aero 'Hercules'. I don't know if the darn thing will ever break in; it's like putting on a suitcase.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I'm still mulling over the brown heavy steer and FQ horse samples.

I can confirm what JM says, and what others have said elsewhere: the heavy steer hide is very, very thick and, to my surprise, is much stiffer than the horse hide, and appears much coarser grained, too. Not knowing much about leather, I was expecting the horse to have no 'give' in it at all, but comparing the small squares of each I've got the horse is much more flexible and has a lot more 'give' than the steer. The horse hide has a very fine grain.

Incidentally, I've shown the samples to friends — coincidentally an equal number of women and men — just to see what they think about these rather exotic materials and all the women prefer steer and all the men go for horse.

Where's this post going? I've no idea! Does it add to the thread? Maybe. Should I get off the internet now? Definitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24