Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy weight denim crotch wear

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
The heaviest weight denim I’d worn before was around 12oz Diesel, Levis and Union. They always always worn through the crotch after two years or so of weekend wear - despite rest of the jeans still had lots of life left. This almost made me give up wearing jeans as can’t justify the costs for not so longevity.

I’d since switched to Patagonia iron forge pants which are made from hemp and poly mix and super comfortable and hard wearing.

I wanted to give heavy weight denim a shot and thinking of getting a 24oz pair, but I’d be gutted if the crotch wears through again in a couple of years time.

What are you experiences for wearing super heavyweight 24oz denim? Not the ones you baby :) - but if you wear them often does the crotch wear through first?

Observe

One Too Many
Despite the marketing hype, once you hit about 15oz and up, the thickness of the denim becomes a liability and it will wear out more quickly in places like the crotch because of friction. Maybe Iron Hearts softer 21oz denim would not be so prone to this, but I'm not sure. Most people wearing extremely heavy, thick denim do so specifically for the dramatic wear and resulting fades that can be achieved and less for any practical utility.

Edward

Bartender
I think the last time I wore out the knee of a pair of jeans first, I must have been twelve years old. Since then, it's always the upper inner thigh that goes. I can generally get two years' hard wear out of a pair of jeans before that. When it does happen, I patch them with some iron-on denim (the iron on glue never holds long, I just use it to get the patches in place and then once set I tack-sew the edges down with a loop stitch).

As with others o here, I've also noticed that the heavier the denim, the faster it wears at the crotch. The sweet spot for me for regular wear is 13 to 14 oz, though I've also very much enjoyed some vintage-accurate 10-11oz pairs I've had over the years. The latter are especially nice to wear come Summer. Light denim, wide leg is nice in the heat. Vastly preferable to short trousers, which I don't / won't wear. Though occasionally when the heat gets really brutal, I will default to a polo shirt and kilt.

Bennarion

One Too Many
It doesn't matter if the denim is heavy or light. It's about the physique. My friend has a thin build and wears jeans for 10 years without wear in the groin.

I've been wearing 25-ounce jeans for 2.5 years now and there's no hint of fraying in the groin.

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
Thank you everyone for sharing the experiences - you saved me big $$$ from not plunging in heavy denim!

These are the ones I wear a lot - they are more relaxed fit and the hemp fabric is very soft, plus triple stitch in all seams. I have 1 pair cargo, and 1 pair double knee.

https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/prod...mp-canvas-cargo-work-pants-regular/55276.html

https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/prod...anvas-double-knee-work-pants-short/55291.html

I have trim calves but thighs are a big bigger than usual from the squats and deadlifts

Al 916

One Too Many
IH 21oz 634 four years, no excessive localised wear.
As Bennarion says it may well be ones build.

Avoid riding push bikes and pigeon step races maybe?

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I’ve never had a pair of denim wear through at the crotch …

what the heck are you guys doing in your jeans ? lol

Observe

One Too Many

It can happen from undersizing jeans but also if your thighs are big and rubbing together when you walk. I have large quads and get the rubbing effect in certain pants.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
What I’ve noticed with heavy weight denim is that they wear hot.

Yes, some have looser weaves but weight is weight, and 21+ oz denim is just uncomfortable in the warmer weather (for me).

Al 916

One Too Many
What I’ve noticed with heavy weight denim is that they wear hot.

Yes, some have looser weaves but weight is weight, and 21+ oz denim is just uncomfortable in the warmer weather (for me).

I am still in 21oz (however this is the English summer). When it gets hot it's chinos or cargos (office or home).

25oz is winter (windproof) wear for me

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I haven't had a big problem with crotch blowouts, but then I wear midweight repro denim and wash it.

The problem of the ultra-heavyweight denim is not helped by the fact that these people think washing will kill their fades, which it won't, but what it will do is cause abrasion from dirt particles. This is the same reason old Jubilee bracelets will get "loose"; dirt has worn them down.

KBlake

One Too Many
I had the crotch on my 15oz RGT denim patched on both sides of the seam at my local dry cleaner. I'm about to patch the knees that are starting to wear through with a sashiko kit I got on Etsy. Sewing intimidates me though.

TartuWolf

One Too Many
2 years wearing 21oz denim (UB321) quite regularly.
No issues with the crotch whatsoever. Either with wear or balls getting worn down.
On the other hand I sized them wrongly and the waist is a bit too tight (and not really getting any less tight).
What I WOULD warn about is the back of the knees cutting blood flow off to the feet when squatting due to the bunching up of a lot of material there. Doesn't happen (or is not as pronounced) with lighter 17-19oz denim.
Maybe a cut with more room in the knee area would help. Would even argue that this area would be the prime candidate for having a thinner denim panel than the rest of the jeans just for that reason.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I haven't had a big problem with crotch blowouts, but then I wear midweight repro denim and wash it.

The problem of the ultra-heavyweight denim is not helped by the fact that these people think washing will kill their fades, which it won't, but what it will do is cause abrasion from dirt particles. This is the same reason old Jubilee bracelets will get "loose"; dirt has worn them down.
A watch analogy … now I can relate:rolleyes:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A watch analogy … now I can relate:rolleyes:

Oh and then add to that that many people downsize because “it’ll stretch”; so a combination of abrasion and strain.

I totally agree, I sent my jubilee bracelet to Michael young in Hong Kong to replace the pins,great job and saved scrapping the bracelet as rolex suggested and buying new.

Michael Young and Rolliworks/LA Watch Works are the way to go for your classic watches.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I had a pair of 26oz jeans and the crotch wore through pretty quickly, but so did some of my lighter jeans as well. It's mainly based on sizing, Thigh size, and how much you wash your jeans.

Heavier denim is certainly overhyped in terms of durability. Sure, it would protect you more than 11oz jeans in a motorcycle crash, but thats not necessary for most people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy