Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello from a new guy

Chewing Wax

New in Town
Hello all.

Nice to be able to contribute to this forum.

Thought I'd catalog my current collection of leather jackets

1. 1984 LL Bean "Bomber" jacket. I wore this thing hard and it's barely got a dent on it. Had Lost Worlds redo the wool knit parts about four years ago. They did an amazing job. It's a little small on me now, but I still try to wear it when I can. It's my buddy.

2. Some fancy green leather jacket from Territory Ahead that they don't offer any more. Not even sure if it should count.

3. Willis & Geiger horsehide A-2 with the incorrect rayon lining. I got it in a 46 long. It swims on me. Good for layering. Strange extra soft horsehide too.

4. Flight Suits (pre Gibson & Barnes) Navy G-1. When I got it they offered it in Goat and Cow. I got the cow. I have to say, it's one of my favorite jackets. No frills. No attempt to recreate any history. The leather is fantastic and the jacket is incredibly comfortable.

5. Gibson & Barnes Expedition. I got it in chrome goatskin before they made that a regular option online. Got it in March 2001. My other favorite jacket. When I'm not wearing the G-1 in the winter, I'm wearing the Expedition in the spring and fall.

6. Lost Worlds Down Town in water buffalo hide. He was selling this really cheap in the clearance sale section of the website. It's perfect. I guess he just wanted to get rid of the leather since he doesn't offer it anymore. I use it instead of a trench coat in the winter over my suit.

7. Gibson & Barnes Historical A-2. It's a vegetable tanned goat in the style of their historical horsehide. With the cotton lining, not silk. They were selling it cheap because the color was slightly off. I had no idea that vegetable tanned goat absorbed water like a sponge. The first time I wore it in the rain the color of the leather soaked through and stained my shirt. It's a beautiful jacket though.

8. I just got a Lost Worlds clearance sale jacket. It's a sort of civil take on the A-1 in their russet 3 0z horsehide. Really cool jacket, and he was selling it cheap (relatively). Really got it to see what the horsehide he's always going on about was like. It really is amazing leather. Going to take a lot of breaking in.

I think that's it.

Later -

CW

Chewing Wax

New in Town
Photo of the LW civil A-1

Ah, I just figured out how to post a photo here. Here's the civil A-1 from Lost Worlds. It's the only picture I have right now. Apparently made in 1994 as a proto-type that was never produced. So hard to find clearance items in 46R, I snap them up if they look good.

381008195_0bc28695a5_o.jpg

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Nice collection, CW. I can see you have good taste. G&B and LW both make great jackets that can last a lifetime. Keep making smart buys!

Ray

A2_Junkie

New in Town
Nice A-1

Chewing Wax said:
Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to update the original post with photos soon.

Hey Chewing Wax,

I like the look of the A-1. You don't see a lot of jackets in that style. The A-2 is pretty common (even when it's loosely copied). The buttons on the A-1 are pretty unique. What kind of leather does it have?

-Peter

Chewing Wax

New in Town
Hello Peter.

It's made of 3 oz russet front quarter horsehide that I believe Lost Worlds makes their A-1 and A-2 out of. It's tough, I can tell that it can use a lot of breaking in. He shipped it to me all buttoned up and it took me about ten minutes and some finger tip pain to unbotton those two top rings attached to the collar. It's loosening up already though. I got it about two months ago. It's surprisingly warm with a nice cotton lining and completely windproof.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Wow. That's one of the few flight jackets I've seen that positively cries out for a plane. Something with an open cockpit, where you can feel the wind and hear the hum of the wires.

bi_plane_ride__2_.jpg

Looping the loop in a Navy N3N trainer

Chewing Wax

New in Town
Photos of my Jackets

I'm not sure anyone cares, but here are some photos of my jackets.

The 1984 LL Bean "Bomber" with the Lost Worlds knit work:

441548667_0910579649.jpg

The Territory Ahead Green thing:

441564426_dfffea3adf.jpg

The Willis & Geiger A-2:

441564432_8b53ed8956.jpg

The Flight Suits G-1:

441564422_bd2b265b19.jpg

The Gibson & Barnes Expedition:

441548713_7d1c1301a2.jpg

The Lost Worlds Water Buffalo Down Town:

441548719_526c1954c0.jpg

The Gibson & Barnes Veg Goat A-2 clearance:

441548729_c86123d834.jpg

The Lost Worlds Civil A-1:

441548753_df4024a1c8.jpg

Chewing Wax

New in Town
I certainly do enjoy them. That's for sure. I'm a bit overwhelmed by them. I don't know when to wear them all. I think I'm done buying jackets. I'm 42 years old now. Time to age them now by wearing them. Enough is enough I think. And yet...

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flight Suits (pre GnB) A2
I just acquired a "vintage" Flight Suits goat A2, it's in a strange greyish color, and size 40R. I thought GnB are cut big, like my historical A2. But this Flight Suit is really a tiny jacket, it's short in the torso and slim in the arms, also most noticeably, it has tiny pockets, barely fits an iFone. Any ideas ?

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Dear Mr. Cigar Smoker/Wax Chewer/Oral Fixator:

Since you are no longer 42, and now 47, I think your wardrobe might benefit from an HWM, a 1930's halfbelt, or something without fabric around the waist that will eventually ball up, stretch out, and look ratty. An Aero in pure horsehide or goatskin that will outlast you on earth.

Most of your jackets from 2007 have a similar style to them on the grand overall scale of vintage leather jacket styles.

Why not go in an entirely different direction for one more that is custom-tailored and custom-designed by you to only fit you and you alone, instead of sales rack stuff. . . that is, since you brought it up. Just sayin' ; )

If had you saved 65 cents a day for five years, that would more than equal the cost of a new Aero. Is that too much for your wardrobe to ask of you? I don't think so.

wolf_in_sheeps_clothing.jpg

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wow. That's one of the few flight jackets I've seen that positively cries out for a plane. Something with an open cockpit, where you can feel the wind and hear the hum of the wires.

bi_plane_ride__2_.jpg

Looping the loop in a Navy N3N trainer

Probably needs an owner with a pet lion cub, don't you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails