Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello & Jacket ID

TOWSER

New in Town
Firstly a big hello to everyone here.
Although this is my first posting here I've been an avid reader of your forum for some time before joining up this May. I've not posted up before as many of the questions I've had concerning vintage leather jackets were answered via the incredible knowledge and information made available throughout this forum by its members. I'd like you all to know that you have helped me a great deal along the way and I continue to learn as I stumble my way through a subject that I never knew was so vast and indeed complicated with so many variations ,jacket contract issues, buttons , zippers, balsams and lotions alike etc. If the truth be known at times my mind has been left somewhat in in a swirl after reading so many different views. However, I am grateful for your time served opinions which in turn have helped me avoid major mistakes in terms of both what to do ( what not to do) what to buy and what to avoid.
Again, a big thank you.

I'm pretty new as a vintage leather jacket collector. I have a few nice ones at a starter level but nothing in the same ballpark of what many members here are lucky enough to own . Still, I keep my eye out and hope that when something of quality and note comes my way that I have enough of a gut instinct to know when a jacket has a bit of class about it.

I would very much appreciate it if the members here would cast their eyes upon the following jacket and give me their opinions and advice.

The other week I bought a leather jacket for the enormous price of £10 . The reason it was 10 quid was because it was dirty, creased and all the zips had turned dark green with verdigris. When I got it home I trawled once again through the forum in order to work out just how to go about gently restoring it without wrecking it within the process. As I like my jackets to maintain their history it was important to me to do as little as possible to it . Thanks to finding some great tips on here I managed to bring the jacket back to life without having to first murder it in alien acid leather stripper.

The jacket itself has no labels of any kind what-so-ever. Have you guessed what the question is yet ? The only thing I have to go on is that all of the 6 zips are 'solid' brass Talons. I looked on the zipper thread here featuring all the different makes of their zippers. Although some of the zippers look very similar the exact 'D' feature on the slider isn't on any of the pictures. I eventually found a picture of an 'identical 'zipper on an early Vanson. Therefore I presume that the jacket may date from around 74 ( give or take a few years) Because the jacket zips up from right to left it has been proposed that it might be made for a woman. If that's the case then so be it...I'm still going to wear it as it has a pit to pit of 22 inches.

There are a number of questions that I'd love to know the answers to. Does anyone have a clue who might of made it ? What it's made from ? The year ? The country ? What doesn't make any sense to me is the fact that it has no labels ( you can tell that it never had any even when it was new) and yet someone put heavy weight solid brass Talon zippers on it. Surely only an expensive brand would go to the trouble of putting those things on ? Also the stitching on the jacket is really well done.

In a nutshell. I've searched the net until my eyes have turned bloodshot and I can't find anything that remotely looks anything like it. The nearest one I can find looks a bit like an early Vanson and that's only because of the zips and their side buckles ( see link)

https://basecampvintage.com/tag/talon/#jp-carousel-1286

Again, any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated . Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
I can tell you it's not Vanson but it could be any one of a myriad of makers from the 80's or 90's. I'm fairly certain it was born in one of those two decades. Lots of nice beefy #10 Talons on that jacket that's fo sho....

Unless the image is flipped, this is possibly a woman"s jacket. Notice the direction of the main zip. Unfortunately that would make it a lot harder to pin down (if it's the case).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner