Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello to all!

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Hello, just thought I'd introduce myself :)

Although I've worn hats on and off for a few years (had an Akubra since 2001) I've just started to wear them more regularly, and so started looking around on the internet a bit (I'm already a watch obsessive, so forum life is not unknown to me...) and found this corner. Seems a friendly place, so I thought I might stay a while... I'm a Brit, living in the southern part of the Midlands and commuting to London for work.

Anyway, I've got a few hats, although not many, the first was this Akubra Stockman bought in 2001:

Stockman1.jpg

Still gets worn, but I think I need to apply some steam and do a little gentle reshaping of the brim (it has gone a bit flat).

There have been others over the years, although mostly wool felt (should I admit to that around here?), but there are a couple of other Akubras (a Snowy River in grey and Cattleman in tan). My acquisition of those was helped by an Aussie wife, so picked them up on trips to see her family when the £ was stronger!

I've just started wearing hats more often for my walk to work across London from the train station, and I'm in a suit and tie kind of environment, so the Akubras are a little too casual looking. I've grabbed a couple of wool felt Fedoras in black (hey, they're crushable and easy to stuff in a bag), but decided I wanted something nicer as well (and not wool!).

Picked up this Christy foldable Fedora in Burma:

ChristyRollable1.jpg

Lovely hat, and I think the brim is a great size for me (could do with a touch more crown height, though), but a little too floppy for all-weather wear (the brim flips in the wind very easily at the front).

Next up has been a different style, another Christy, but a skinny brim Trilby:

ChristyTrilby1.jpg

Casual enough for me to wear out of work as well, so I'm happy with that one.

Reading reviews and comments here has proved a slippery slope, as I've got a FedIV on order in carbon grey to go with these, and I doubt it will be the last...

Anyway, hello and thanks for having me!

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
Welcome, Dave E!

I'm new to the Lounge as well. I think you'll find it quite a nice place to visit, as I have. All 3 of your hats look great! I used to have the Christy's Foldaway in Burma as well, but sold it. I loved the look/shape of the hat, but was not fond of its flimsiness. A nice felt, but just too lightweight. But it does look great on you.
Anyhow, have fun here!

Chinaski

One Too Many
Welcome, Dave! Next time you're in the pub please have an extra pint for me! We'll be interested in what you think about the Fed IV. Compared to your current lids it has less taper and quite a high crown.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Welcome! Bought in Burma, wow...bet there`s a story there! And the Akubra, looks very stingy to me (for an Akubra anyway!:p ), suits you well:eusa_clap

Dave E

One of the Regulars
daizawaguy said:
Welcome! Bought in Burma, wow...bet there`s a story there! And the Akubra, looks very stingy to me (for an Akubra anyway!:p ), suits you well:eusa_clap

Gah, bad wording on my part, I meant the colour is Burma!

Thanks for the welcome, all, I'll certainly be posting about the FedIV when it arrives :)

MCrider

A-List Customer
Dave E said:
Gah, bad wording on my part, I meant the colour is Burma!

LOL When I started reading your post I also thought you picked it up in Burma and it was going to be a good story! Oh well it ended up a funny story instead.
lol

Welcome to the lounge Dave and don't worry about having wool hats... Soon you'll be like the rest of us, spending money for "just the right" hat for you. I like the Christy foldable Burma that's not from Burma so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner