Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a guy out - what's a good Akubra?

elvisroe

A-List Customer
One other you might consider that is somewhere between the fedoras and the heritage style...(OK so perhaps it leans a tad more toward the fedoras) is the squatter.

squatter.jpg

It has a broader brim than most but is not as hard-core in the crown as the more old school style campdraft and Fed iv. It's also a really soft, light felt.

I'd say it's a smart hat but I've always worn mine dressed down.

Just beware the pork-pie!

Having said that you can't go wrong with the heritage hats - all very nice!

*Mr Tutt, I agree with you on the great Aussie bush poets - however i've always found it odd that the hats named after them don't reflect the era.
Lawson always wore a basic fedora with a loose bash (like all blokes in the late 19thC) and I've never seen Banjo in anything without a ribbon...

BanjoPatterson1_11494875_tcm11-1756.jpg

Now if Akubra released that one I'd buy it!;)

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Well Elvis, they can't even spell Banjo's surname correctly on their website (I hope it's right on their hats!) so what chance of the hat reflecting the man and his era?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Lawson speaks yet

And for those of us with a love of ages past, this Lawson poem may tug at your heartstrings...

The Roaring Days by Henry Lawson

The night too quickly passes
And we are growing old,
So let us fill our glasses
And toast the Days of Gold;
When finds of wondrous treasure
Set all the South ablaze,
And you and I were faithful mates
All through the roaring days!
Then stately ships came sailing
From every harbour's mouth,
And sought the land of promise
That beaconed in the South;
Then southward streamed their streamers
And swelled their canvas full
To speed the wildest dreamers
E'er borne in vessel's hull.

Their shining Eldorado,
Beneath the southern skies,
Was day and night for ever
Before their eager eyes.
The brooding bush, awakened,
Was stirred in wild unrest,
And all the year a human stream
Went pouring to the West.

The rough bush roads re-echoed
The bar-room's noisy din,
When troops of stalwart horsemen
Dismounted at the inn.
And oft the hearty greetings
And hearty clasp of hands
Would tell of sudden meetings
Of friends from other lands;

And when the cheery camp-fire
Explored the bush with gleams,
The camping-grounds were crowded
With caravans of teams;
Then home the jests were driven,
And good old songs were sung,
And choruses were given
The strength of heart and lung.

Oft when the camps were dreaming,
And fires began to pale,
Through rugged ranges gleaming
Swept on the Royal Mail.
Behind six foaming horses,
And lit by flashing lamps,
Old Cobb and Co., in royal state,
Went dashing past the camps.
Oh, who would paint a goldfield,
And paint the picture right,
As we have often seen it
In early morning's light;
The yellow mounds of mullock
With spots of red and white,
The scattered quartz that glistened
Like diamonds in light;
The azure line of ridges,
The bush of darkest green,
The little homes of calico
That dotted all the scene.
The flat straw hats, with ribands,
That old engravings show --
The dress that still reminds us
Of sailors long ago.

I hear the fall of timber
From distant flats and fells,
The pealing of the anvils
As clear as little bells,
The rattle of the cradle,
The clack of windlass-boles,
The flutter of the crimson flags
Above the golden holes.

. . . . .

Ah, then their hearts were bolder,
And if Dame Fortune frowned
Their swags they'd lightly shoulder
And tramp to other ground.
Oh, they were lion-hearted
Who gave our country birth!
Stout sons, of stoutest fathers born,
From all the lands on earth!

Those golden days are vanished,
And altered is the scene;
The diggings are deserted,
The camping-grounds are green;
The flaunting flag of progress
Is in the West unfurled,
The mighty bush with iron rails
Is tethered to the world.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
SPATS! Are you wishing an ill wind on the Aussie economy again??!
Absolutely not! I just want some more of those high-quality Akubras, and, all other things being equal, I'd rather pay less than more.

You wound me, good sir. ;)

Ephraim Tutt said:
. . . . Of course, all your Akubra purchases helped!
And should the AU$ drop again, I feel confident that Fedora Loungers will again do their part to help the Australian hat industry.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
If your aunt doesn't mind the extra expense, I'd go with one of the Heritage felt Akubras. I have some basis for thinking shrinkage is less of an issue with them and it sounds like you'd be encountering some wetness now and then...like I do.

If fedora-minded, surely the Federation. If more country, the Banjo Paterson which is lighter weight felt like the Fed, fishskin band, lower and more tapered crown.

Color depends a lot on what you like to wear and what looks best on you, so hard to recommend. Heritage fawn is slightly darker than their regular fawn and is pretty versatile. Of course, grey goes with anything! But dark brown is just cool.

My two pence! Best of everything,
- Bill

This is good advice. Are you planning to wear it to work with dark suits?...go Heritage felt Akubras Moonstone...just for fun?...Dark Brown

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
The Banjo Paterson is a very versatile hat in its "heritage fawn" and with a 70mm brim. I will use it for the outdoors and casual everyday wear. And it still has enough "style§ to wear with, say, a Blazer and tie.
The heritage fur takes much longer to conform to my head than the standard imperial quality, I wore it sweating like hell in the summer, steamed it, wettend it with warm tap-water, applied the hair-dryer and its still a long way to go.
1572009005.jpg

Much cheaper and of near identical (for my untrained eye) shape is the Leisure Time, here in regency fawn
3172009009.jpg

Wont hold a bash as good as the BP and adapted much faster to my long oval head, it was very good value-for-money at AUS$ 100.00 plus 20.00 postage to europe.
Generally speaking about colours: you can compare two different colours in pics only if they are shown in near-identical light.

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
I to prefer the heritage Akubra's , in days past it was more common in Australia for both country folk and city folk to wear a fedora ,only those living and working in the out back would wear the broad brimmed stockman type hats. if auntie is feeling generous why not why not choose a couple of different styles . cheers.

Mister Hayes said:
Phew!

That's some mountain of advice there... mostly Campdraft reccomendations.

That said, I'm not so keen on the Campdraft. As a youngster, I can't easily go 'round in suits all the time (not that I'd not like to, but the cost...), so I generally prefer something a little less formal in style - I know it's no dress-hat, but the Campdraft is still a little more 'city' than I'd like. (Also, I've never bashed my own hat before.)

After the mention of the Heritage felt Akubras, I'm looking at a Lawson - it's got that bit more brim than a Banjo Patterson, but more importantly it comes in dark brown - the better to match my trench. That, or perhaps an Angler...?
Sorry to come in and head in a totally different direction to all your thoughts, but... :eek: Thanks a bundle guys, for the advice and the warm welcome. If anyone's got any more thoughts, please lay 'em on me, and I'll be sure to shove up some pictures of whatever I get.

Formal? Please consider a re-think on the Campdraft and read these descriptions and leads to threads written for those that are not familiar with the Campdraft. Read the early posts about the Open Road and you'll see, the Campdraft is an Australian Open Road, originally made under liscense for Stetson. You may find the thread about where it (OR) appears in film, that would be a good review.

A Campdraft is very much an outdoorsman hat in the US. It, the Open Road and clones are seen in many films and still pictures of the time as the hat for the geographer, geologist, hunter, guide, and rancher. It pairs well with jeans and a t-shirt or a safari shirt and some chinos. With a leather jacket like an A-2.

I wear mine with cargo shorts golf shirt and sandals all the time in hot weather.

It's an informal hat that in a fedora bash oozes masculinity but can be teamed up with a suit in a pinch and be presentable but it says I can take care of "business" if I need to buddy.

Don't be afraid of bashing your own, there are tutorials in the hat section. A home bashed hat is personal and shows the style of the owner. I have done 3 a Campdraft, a Squatter and a Bushman, plus changed my Hueckle's pinch. It's not a monumental task to do the simple ones like a center dent and the pinch.

Anyway have fun.

What John said plus... The Campdraft/Open Road is considered a "country hat" which is specifically less business-like/more casual than your wider ribbon styles. It is a nice hat for rural settings but can be spiffed up when country comes to town!!! ;)

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
I'm going to chime in here again on the Campdraft. I'm wearing my Taupe one today with dress pants and a red polo shirt. On the weekend I wore it with shorts, t-shirt and sandals. It looked good no matter what. If you're worried it's too formal, don't and bashing it yourself is easy. Read a few posts here, boil the kettle and start bashing. And remember, you can't bugger up a bash unless you put a really tight folded crease in - anything else you just steam out (and even a crease can be taken mostly out with a little patience).

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
and Banjo Paterson...

banjo-paterson-profile.jpg

Now that's a cool lid!

Well, even though the CD is technically a country hat, I understand what you're seeing. I have a feeling that a leather hatband will make you feel more at home.

In that case, the Lawson is probably an excellent choice.

MCrider

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
Don't be afraid of bashing your own, there are tutorials in the hat section. A home bashed hat is personal and shows the style of the owner. I have done 3 a Campdraft, a Squatter and a Bushman, plus changed my Hueckle's pinch. It's not a monumental task to do the simple ones like a center dent and the pinch.

Anyway have fun.

I agree with John. Bashing was something that seemed like it was going to be hard, but after doing a half dozen hats, I've come to enjoy wearing those hats more than the perfectly formed factory hats. It's not that hard and your have something that you (literally) had a hand in. The hat becomes a reflection of your personality. I have both a Fed IV and a recently acquired Squatter and loved working on them. If the wider brim doesn't put you off, give the Squatter a try. Goes great with jeans and any shirt short of a Tshirt and looks good when you decide to dress it up a bit. Just be sure to order it opened crowned
Another option I haven't seen anyone address would be the Akubra Sydney. It's not as wide brimmed at 2 1/2 inches but it a lightweight felt that feels great on the head. Plus that red liner seems to be a conversation started for some reason. :)

Good luck with whatever hat you choose!

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Im kinda in the same range, wanting an Akubra. I have a Stetson saxon in Caribou for suits and dress stuff, but want something for Khakis, weekends, jaunts to the grocery store, but yet, versatile to wear with a sportscoat.

edited, sorry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff