Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help checking an Aero J-106 build

jszair

New in Town
Long time lurker and multiple fails in used jacket market....just placed an order with Aero taking advantage of the GBP dip and 10% off.

Here's what I have in mind - willing to hear some feedback

Slim fit
Russet Badalassi leather
Tartan linings
Internal pocket left side open
Antique Brass Ball pull zipper
Zipper underside of the sleeves
no epaulette
no Low bi-swing back
shallow single point yoke in the back like Highwayman
no external kidney panel, keep the internal
Belt: I wonder if there's an option to conceal the belt loop when I take off the belt. Is there a way to fold inwards so it's not visible when wearing?

Some considerations
- zipper upper or underside? I removed epaulette since it looks too much attitude.. I'm debating if move the zipper upper side to bring back some edge.
- Yoke or kidney panel? Seems to me without bi-swing, the upper back looks very dull.
- Exposed zipper on D pocket and main zip or not.

Ordering process suggestion?
- I'll provide detailed measurements of my Schott 530 (unfortunately I don't have an Aero) and fit pic for Aero reference, and describe the fit experience with that jacket and what I look for.
- What else can help nailing the customization ordering process?

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Is the inside pocket necessary? You've got two external pockets already and a cross-zip to contend with, so it might become a bit redundant.
However, my general advice, especially with your first Aero, is don't screw around with the basic pattern too much. You're ordering an Aero because you like the look of the jacket, it's easy to kill that look by changing its underpinnings. I'd certainly make sure you walk through your ideas with Holly or Denny to see if they'll work.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I placed my order last week for a “Slim Fit Motorcycle Jacket” and went for HWYM yoke and straight kidney panel, like this:

4EF4C59F-1513-43CF-86F0-F0F95A3ACDED.jpeg

Personally, I don’t like the belt - if the jacket fits well you shouldn’t also need a belt. Mine will look similar to this, sans belt and with brass hardware:

814556F5-6BB9-4C06-B1D4-221D24AEEED8.jpeg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I like full belted motorcycle jackets, always have. Without it may look cleaner, more streamlined. To me they just look incomplete. I also like epaulets, but I think they're more optional, and can live without them, although they are practical and useful for gloves or hat stowage. A belt is great for fine tuning the fit, allowing you to seal the wind out regardless of how many layers you are wearing at the moment, and secures the jacket against zipper failures in an accident.

That said, many have said that the cut of Aero's motorcycle jackets isn't necessarily the best for actual riding. I don't know whether I agree with that or not. But certainly if riding is not the primary purpose of the purchaser, there's plenty of leeway to do your own version of the jacket the way you want.

I'd personally go with the inside pocket, and wouldn't think twice about it.

roadking04

Practically Family
I have to agree with everything Guppy has said. I like to USE belts on RIDING jackets. Belts can flop around and hit things from time to time, and also be a little noisy.

I like the option of a removable belt when not on the motorcycle. Aero has a great option for a removable belt on their King of the Road jacket. But like Sloan has mentioned, don't mess with a good thing. The J-106 is one BADASS looking jacket, but I cannot say how good it works on a motorcycle.

The crosszip motorcycle jackets were designed and perfected back in the day. Every feature had a use/purpose. Those were the HARDCORE riders, not the wussy(with a P) riders of today, myself included. They rode on terrible roads in rain, sleet and maybe snow. lol. A drum brake in the back, a front light that was as bright as a candle, and a suspension that consisted of 2 springs under the seat. Those riders of the past were TRD (the real deal, a little nod to Guppy and TRD leathers).

Sorry for the rant and going off topic. I don't even know if the OP is using this jacket for M/C use. lol.

All that to say, TO ME, a "streamlined/toned down" motorcycle jacket is like a Cadillac without heated seats. I love all the features of the J-106. Hope to see pics of it when you get it.

jszair

New in Town
Just to clarify I don’t ride or care too much about period accuracy…

But I do want to have a “balanced” look of whatever customization I do, so hopefully can leverage forum members’ experience:)

@Pandemic
I don’t see a slim MC in the MTO selections, just a MC option which is short in body and boxy cut. Is J106 base cut same as slim MC?

Last edited:

jszair

New in Town
So Ridley = slim MC, with
Body length similar to j106, longer than MC
Body cut slimmest out of the three: slim mc / Ridley, j106 and mc

Is this right?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
So Ridley = slim MC, with
Body length similar to j106, longer than MC
Body cut slimmest among j106 and mc

Is this right?
The Ridley is a different model jacket, a different patterned MC jacket with a different cut.

I believe they can put J-106-styling onto the Ridley pattern, replicating the pocket layout and so forth of the J-106 on the pattern of the Ridley, to make what is essentially the slim fit J-106 you're looking for.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I believe they are going to list it on the website soon as a new model, but for now you can order a J106 and request ‘slim motorcycle jacket’ in the comments, providing you are in a size they currently have a pattern for. Tagging @Hide'n'seek on case I got that wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ