Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Dating a Dobbs Dayton

Jimvint

New in Town
Hi. I just joined a few days ago after getting interested in wearing fedoras. I have learned a lot from lurking and reading here before joining.
I have collected a few older hats off the 'bay and one is a Dobbs that I suspect is not as old as I thought. I was thinking 60s. But the price on the inside seems high for a vintage hat.
Dobbs 2.jpg
Dobbs 3.jpg
Dobbs 1.jpg

It's also a "Dayton" model.
If it matters the hat is black. Any information would be most appreciated.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Hi. I just joined a few days ago after getting interested in wearing fedoras. I have learned a lot from lurking and reading here before joining.
I have collected a few older hats off the 'bay and one is a Dobbs that I suspect is not as old as I thought. I was thinking 60s. But the price on the inside seems high for a vintage hat. View attachment 614611 View attachment 614612 View attachment 614610

It's also a "Dayton" model.
If it matters the hat is black. Any information would be most appreciated.

That’s a cool looking hat, but you’re right, it’s from the 1980s or later (around here we usually dub any hat made since 1970-ish a ‘modern’ hat). A few key indicators are the black sweatband with the white stripe around it, the registered trademark circle after the name Dobbs, the paper label and especially the bar code on the top of the label.

The Hatted Professor has a number of pages dedicated to dating a Dobbs - you might find them useful. Here is the first one.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou