Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help ! Fake Schott 689 horsehide ?!

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
MrMojo- Evert story has three sides: your side, his side and the truth. Why did you not try and contact Schott or Legendary USA as well? I understand maybe you felt like it was not your duty but I think after all that you could have tried. The other thing is how did you know he was posting all this here?

RPeers

One of the Regulars
Mr Magoo,

I think that you should contact Schott with pictures/information in writing from the tailor you took the jacket too. With the proper batch ID # and proof of an "inferior" quality jacket I am sure that a respectable company like Schott will stand behind their product and may offer to replace the jacket. You should also get a copy of the original receipt from dormicica. Also I wonder how "Gail" would have intimate knowledge of this exact jacket being worn by dormicica.

Sorry not trying to pour salt on either of your wounds,
RPeers

MrMojo

New in Town
Answers to your questions

Ive had an e-mail conversation with Gail, Jason Schott was also involved in the whole story, but not directly with me.
Gail told me there is no sending back, also Im not the original buyer.
I cant sent the jacket to Schott, no way. Same like they dont accept a return from overseas, if the jacket dont fits.
In the beginning, there was an option to sent it to the seller and he sends it to Legendary, he offered me. But I was sure that there is something wrong with it and denied it. Sorry, I was suspicious. I wanted to check the jacket with the leatherfactory. Like I told you in the last post.
Later he sent me an original receipt with e-mail.
Believe me Schott does not take it back, not even for repair.
Gail knew that the seller was wearing the jacket one some occasions, because he made complains about the leather. She had conversations with him. The complain was that the leather was not looking the same, on every part of the jacket.
That is normal to me, because leather is a naturesproduct.
I found the forum and the threat here because I was serching with Google for Schott 689H, because I was interested if people are satisfied with these jackets.
At least I would buy Schott again, but no horsehide. I have some Schottjackets and Im very satisfied with the others. But not on ebay.
I prefer next time to buy in a shop with garantees.
Sure there are maybe questions left, but it would burst the post here to write every detail.
It was trouble for both of us, Dormicica and me. Im glad its over now.
Everybody learned something. Case closed.
Cheers

MrMojo

New in Town
no threat

My english is not perfect. Lets say the posts here. Dont know the exact word right now. Of course I didnt meant threat. My mistake.

himelator

Vendor
Shott Aint What it Used to Be

I think the moral of the story is that some jackets just arn't made as well as they used to be!!!

himelator

Vendor
aero

I haven't bought from Aero, but I know schott frontways and backways, and they are an american made mass produced jacket. Its not that they are bad they just aint made the way they used to be, Im sure Aero is a small shop, they use expensive materials and probably have a lot of pride tied up in what they produce, I cant be sure as I dont own one, but I do own over 800 horsehide jackets and have handled over 20k of jackets from before 1970 and I can tell you very few people outside of Japan have the first clue of how to make a proper jacket, and of those few have very much style.

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
himelator said:
I haven't bought from Aero, but I know schott frontways and backways, and they are an american made mass produced jacket. Its not that they are bad they just aint made the way they used to be, Im sure Aero is a small shop, they use expensive materials and probably have a lot of pride tied up in what they produce, I cant be sure as I dont own one, but I do own over 800 horsehide jackets and have handled over 20k of jackets from before 1970 and I can tell you very few people outside of Japan have the first clue of how to make a proper jacket, and of those few have very much style.

"I DO OWN OVER 800 HORSEHIDE JACKETS"------My comment.......WOW!

"I HAVE HANDLED OVER 20,000 JACKETS"--------My comment........Double WOW!!

To borrow a phrase from The Lone Ranger TV show......"WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN"!

So OK, who are you dude???

J.A. Dubow.......aka Ted

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Double WOW!

Man you are not kidding wow. I though I was bad with my punny 40 plus count but 800. I'm not worthy. Best to you I only dream of 800.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
taLes of the seLLer and buYer...

have to admit, both the buyer and seller's stories ring true...i think they might both got caught in the middle by a singular defective item from schott...

these things do happen...i would think that the buyer could invoke the schott warranty via the seller's paperwork, though he'd be out of shipping costs both ways...

i have over 500 ebay transacts on vintage wristwatches, and mil jackets...i'd say about 5 of them turned out like this...the rules to live by when dealing with paypal and ebay are as follows (most of them, most of you all know):

1. uhhhhhh, never...like, never ever, leave money in your paypal account...pay the conversion fees......never give those people a crack at your hard earned money...transfer out into your bank acct asaPPPPPPPP...then send your item
2. on the other end, as a buyer, never...like, never ever, pay with anything else but your credit card (credit/debit card that works like a credit card will do)...i will not call them morons, but the people at paypal who handle claims have left me with an impression of their 'brilliance,' or more aptly, lack thereof...they will not only hardly ever help you with a claim, they will hardly ever understand any claim...they are not tested before getting those jobs...so, point #2 again, ONLY pay with your credit card...that way you have your bank behind you...can't say how many times i would have lost money as paypal was not handling a claim, let alone understanding it...paypal ruled in my favour a number of times on the same day that i filed a chargeback with my bank...paypal speaks for themselves by those actions
3. paypal and ebay are great, aS brainless functionaries expediting international trade and sales...i use them all the time...but i practice the safeguards i mentioned...as well as always filing a claim, and then escalating it to the highest level, as soon as there's a problem...it's incentive for the buyer/seller to settle...not filing a claim and escalating it is incentive for the problem not to be solved by paypal, as if they could solve anything

back to the case at hand, defective items dO happen...i got a horse leather a-2 from cockpitusa that had cracks leading away from the sewn holes for the thread...the head of the company handled it personally...i love the replacement i got...these things do happen...at the worst, as with usawings.com, they may happen a lot when buying from that vendor...but if you keep your paperwork (for you, or your buyer if you resell) the vendor should help either of you out for their reputation alone...as in the case of uswings.com, they may rip you for your shipping after sending you defective merchandise several times and getting tired of paying the shipping on their own mistakes, however, even thEy will refund the cost of the merchandise

just protect yourself to limit these types of things...sympathy to both sides of this transaction as they both seem more victims of a system, that they didn't understand needed to watched like a haWk

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
tWeLVVVVVVe

I do own over 800 horsehide jackets

may i suggest a good 12-step program?

before 'paddy' steps in and closes down this thread because of what sounds like a nasty comment, let me be the first to admit that i have a bit of a probLem with the oLe jacket buying...i need, like, handcuffs to keep me from my computer keyboard...so the sarcasm is just as much self-directed...

however, mr. 800, you certainly leave me in the dusTTTTTTTTTTT...

himelator

Vendor
hmmm therapy

Yeah perhaps I need therapy, but its what I do for a living, I buy sell and trade leather jackets and vintage design...I do it for movies, I have a personal collection, and Ive been doing it for 20 years. Im not the biggest in collecting, there is a guy in L.A. that has over 10k leather jackets so Im just a pipsqueak, but I know a whole lot of general knowledge about jackets, and have handled everybodys products, and come from a long long line of schmata people, I also have my blog

http://vintageleatherjackets.blogspot.com/

himelator

Vendor
Peacoat said:
A really cool site. I see you are also a fan of Bettie Page. She grew up right here in Middle Tennessee. Small world.

What sane heterosexual man isnt a fan of Betty?

One would have to be from another species!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21